Oops, I've wrecked my drive - How can I boot games?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
I switched on the Wii tonight - 1st time in almost a year, lol and the eject button wouldn't work.

So I stripped it and had a look, I didn't see anything obvious so I opened the actual drive itself and found a horrible piece of something stuck inside which was stopping the eject mechanism (it looks like a piece of black jack toffee covered in dog hairs), I pulled at the sticky lump and to my horror a load of little white cog wheels popped off along with some small plasticky bits and bobs.

I've got no idea where they all go and I've just noticed that I may have bent one of the metal thingies too.

I really don't think I'll be able to rebuild the drive, and I'm not even sure if I managed to find all the little bits.

My question is, the machine is softmodded, is there a way for me to load games from the SD or USB that will not try to perform a security check on the DVD drive?

I've got a few WiiWare games stored on SD card, these worked an hour ago while the drive was intact, but now that the drive is unusable the WiiWare games are refusing to load.

:(

EDIT..

Google just told me I can use the FlatMii 125 which will emulate the DVD drive, but I'm a little confused.

Will it allow games stored on SD or USB to boot without the PC connection?

Last edited:
Yes you can still boot from USB or USB HDD. Most people are going down the USB HDD route now as it saves burning disks etc

Why won't the games on SD boot then mate? :err:

When I try to load them it tells me I have a drive error.

I've got a 16Gb usb stick, I'm off to test :)

Ive seen a thing called SunDriver plugs in where your dvd drive and you can plug a 2.5" inside.
couple of youtube vids
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0YylBjA4wI[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpFIb3HicAE&feature=channel[/ame]

flatmii loader

That's what I was thinking mate, but I read somewhere that the FlatMii must be connected to a PC before it'll boot anything if the machine doesn't have it's own DVD drive.

Hopefully it's bollox though.

I've ordered a damaged drive on eBay, I'll jsut rip the board and laser out of mine and install them in the 'new' drive.

should of just connected the drive board up and then used a usb hardrive

no probs,changing of the laser is easy if you dont lose any more bits when doing it ;)

no probs,changing of the laser is easy if you dont lose any more bits when doing it ;)

That would help I suppose. :)

I might have been a little heavy handed ;)

But how else are you supposed to remove a solid Black Jack chew from the guts of a DVD drive? :)

black_jacks.jpg

Last edited:
That would help I suppose. :)

I might have been a little heavy handed ;)

But how else are you supposed to remove a solid Black Jack chew from the guts of a DVD drive? :)

black_jacks.jpg

Apparently very fookin carefully lmao :)

i heard when ya mod em they can play anything but ffs you have to draw a line somewhere lol

i heard when ya mod em they can play anything but ffs you have to draw a line somewhere lol

PMSL, wasn't me mate :)

Kids must have wanted to see their favourite Chew on the big telly :)

Back