Only Fools and Horses writer John Sullivan OBE dies

Kruger

Inactive User
Reaction score
BBC News - Only Fools and Horses writer John Sullivan OBE dies

John Sullivan, who wrote one of the best-loved British sitcoms, Only Fools and Horses, has died at the age of 64.

_52316367_011818205-1.jpg

The BBC said he had suffered a short illness.

He also wrote Citizen Smith, and his latest work Rock & Chips is due to be shown on BBC One on Thursday.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said: "John had a unique gift for turning everyday life and characters we all know into unforgettable comedy."

Only Fools and Horses - starring David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst as two south London brothers forever trying to make a quick fortune - ran for 10 years between 1981 and 1991, with several Christmas specials in the years that followed.

The 1996 special Time On Our Hands, which was billed as the final episode and saw Del Boy Trotter come good on his ambition to make him and Rodney millionaires, was watched by more than 24 million people, a record for a sitcom in the UK.
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

He was the Dickens of our generation. Simply the best, most natural, most heartfelt comedy writer of our time”
Mark Freeland
BBC head of comedy

The demand for follow-ups saw Sullivan eventually relent and return to the story of the Trotters from 2001 for occasional Christmas specials.
'Heartfelt comedy'

He also wrote a spin-off - The Green Green Grass, featuring Only Fools characters Boycie and Marlene - and a prequel, Rock & Chips, which documented Del Boy's early life.

John Sullivan, who was born in Balham, south London, in 1946, and always said his secret was that he wrote about what he knew, was appointed an OBE in 2005 for services to drama.

The son of a plumber, he was married with two sons and one daughter, and had two grandchildren.

BBC head of comedy Mark Freeland said: "No one understood what made us laugh and cry better than John Sullivan."

"He was the Dickens of our generation. Simply the best, most natural, most heartfelt comedy writer of our time."

Stephen Fry said he was "terribly saddened" by the news and described him on Twitter as "one of the great comedy writers of our time".

condolences to his family. The man was brilliant and we should all thank him for the hours of pleasure and laughs he gave us. Thank you RIP!

condolences to his family. The man was brilliant and we should all thank him for the hours of pleasure and laughs he gave us. Thank you RIP!
well said 'unison' he was a genius but he has left quite a legacy of laugh's behind for us to enjoy again and again , RIP

Very sad news. Rip.
Arguably the greatest comedy writer of our generation. Only fools and horses is the greatest peice of television ever written.
Lookking forward to watching rock and chips

Very sad news. Rip.
Arguably the greatest comedy writer of our generation. Only fools and horses is the greatest peice of television ever written.
Lookking forward to watching rock and chips

i couldnt have put it better mate he will be sadly missed

Personally, i dont know if its possible, i would like to see him receive a posthumous knighthood.

Very sad news indeed, still watch only fools and horses and still as funny as the first time i watched them.

Ironic thing is they would not have been given the time in today's TV world as they did not take off at first

R.I.P
He was a great writer, only fools was just genius

oh crap.. not good news....

filmed in my city too....

RIP john :rip:

sad news indeed OFAH was superb, only blackadder came close but OFAH wins by some distance for me comedy gold!

some classics, when del was trying to pass rodney off as a tennis player and was asked do you prefer grass or astro turf " i dont know never smoked astro turf" haha

and obviously the bar scene when he falls genuis!

RIP John you will be sadly missed.:rip:

Del falling through that bar was my favourite lol

Back