One for the heating engineers/plumbers

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My son has a problem with his boiler losing pressure
He seems to think it has some thing to do with this valve that he opened by mistake thinking it was the top up.
Its only 5 years old and is a combi.
He is getting wooshing sounds in the room rad scolding hot water in the kitchen (near boiler) and he says the bathroom water is not very hot.

Any ideas what this valve does as he is sure its not set back to what it was

He is due an anual service from BG next month

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 11
I cant really tell from that picture but it looks like the blow off valve,its spring loaded so if he turned it,it should spring back to a closed position,but they dont always and even if they do they can still pass water once they have been actvated,

See if there is water coming from the outside blow off pipe,as if its that the water will be dripping from there :)

I cant really tell from that picture but it looks like the blow off valve,its spring loaded so if he turned it,it should spring back to a closed position,but they dont always and even if they do they can still pass water once they have been actvated,

See if there is water coming from the outside blow off pipe,as if its that the water will be dripping from there :)

He undid the centre screw and the red cap came off in his hand lol thats why he thinks its not set correct
If it is that will the BG engineer sort it do you think?

I will get him to check outside pipe

He undid the centre screw and the red cap came off in his hand lol thats why he thinks its not set correct
If it is that will the BG engineer sort it do you think?

I will get him to check outside pipe

If thats all he did it should be fine,unless it twisted when he undid the screw,
if its now passing then the engineer will more then likely choose to replace it,

EDIT:Actually there is a chance that the screw keeps some sort of pressure on the spring,so if its not on properly it could be passing,but its all hearsay if i cant see it lol

He said that there was a numbered disc under the red cap that fell out but when he put it back he doesnt think it lines up as it was
The pipe into the valve comes down from the boiler one end in the pressure gauge it then splits of a tee back into plastic pipe and back to the boiler.

He said that there was a numbered disc under the red cap that fell out but when he put it back he doesnt think it lines up as it was
The pipe into the valve comes down from the boiler one end in the pressure gauge it then splits of a tee back into plastic pipe and back to the boiler.

Bigger picture of pipe work under the boiler might help?

the valve is on the bottom right

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 6
Pressure regulating valve of some sort maybe?

I'm out m8,I have no experience with Combi's anyway so don't want to confuse things,sorry

Either gasman or Jimmyp will know for sure :)

Pressure regulating valve of some sort maybe?

I'm out m8,I have no experience with Combi's anyway so don't want to confuse things,sorry

Either gasman or Jimmyp will know for sure :)

To be fair, I'm no expert either. If it's the top up then when he opens it the pressure will go up and show on the gauge. As far as I know, the only other valves adjacent to the combi are isolators. Back off a bit for a bigger picture M8...

To be fair, I'm no expert either. If it's the top up then when he opens it the pressure will go up and show on the gauge. As far as I know, the only other valves adjacent to the combi are isolators. Back off a bit for a bigger picture M8...

I would say the two silver valves with the flexible pipe are the fill loop tbh :)

Its not the top up we found that lol after he mistook that for it. Hes gonna call gas out as he has cover from them. I told him to pead daft and not to say he touched that valve.

I would say the two silver valves with the flexible pipe are the fill loop tbh :)

Yes they are
Thats how i topped it up via the far away one. (After he had fooked the red valve lol) To be fair the pressure was at 0 anyway hence the need to top up. Its just it drops quicker now. before it was weeks and weeks. Now its a day

Agreed - scary mix of pushfit, copper and isolators though? @IANB - go grab a beer, you do NOT want to read this part ;)

Wouldn't be how I would do it but push fit seems to be the norm in a lot of installations,but I would have used brass ones

Yes they are
Thats how i topped it up via the far away one. (After he had fooked the red valve lol) To be fair the pressure was at 0 anyway hence the need to top up. Its just it drops quicker now. before it was weeks and weeks. Now its a day

Then it needs investigating Ian,he did the right thing in calling BG

If it was me I would be checking all fittings etc,it could even be the pressure vessel is fooked tbh,but I kinda know what I'm doing lol

If it was me I would be checking all fittings etc,it could even be the pressure vessel is fooked tbh,but I kinda know what I'm doing lol

As long as its boiler side hes fine. If its Rads or pipes to them then they are not covered:(

As long as its boiler side hes fine. If its Rads or pipes to them then they are not covered:(

Rads or pipes are easy m8,plus you wouldn't need a gas registered fitter to fix them ;)

Sounds like 'red-top' is the top-up valve and the pressure vessel is fooked. Hopefully BG cover will sort because pressure vessel replacement is often close to new boiler cost...

@Wiz - love speedfit, hate 'em in boiler primary circuits ;)

Sounds like 'red-top' is the top-up valve and the pressure vessel is fooked. Hopefully BG cover will sort because pressure vessel replacement is often close to new boiler cost...

@Wiz - love speedfit, hate 'em in boiler primary circuits ;)

Red top cannot be the top up valve as thats what the silver flexy is for ;)

speedifit allows cowboys to do jobs ;)

Back