Now TV box £9.99

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
keep seeing these adverts for these now tv box's are these any good and can the be modded to watch the films and sports :)

cheers for looking

Hi, got one of these boxes, you can add an app called plex which then lets you add other apps so you can stream movies, music to your tv. you can also add plex to your computer which lets you watch movies which are stored on your computer.

Do mods know how to use the search facility? :eh?:

There's a massive thread on the Now TV box.

:lol: how can you miss a 24 page thread ;)

:lol: how can you miss a 24 page thread ;)

That easy for me @Rat, all I after is something that will play Netflix and get sky films for kids bedroom, this has to be something simple for them to use and me to flash, if there is a lot involved I will give them a miss.

need to be turn on and watch, not keep flashing the thing, that's what I ask what are they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do mods know how to use the search facility? :eh?:

There's a massive thread on the Now TV box.

if I was to do that m8 you would have nothing to moan about, which we all know you like a good moan :)

I don't think search works for words of 3 letters or fewer anyway? Whilst searching for nowtv brings up the thread, looking for now tv returns no results. At least for me.

Also the bargain basement isn't where you'd expect to find that thread. It's going to take a bit of work (over 200 posts) but I think I need to demerge the bargain from the advice. However, I need to check with Mick first as it's looks to have pulled in a lot of traffic.

That easy for me @Rat, all I after is something that will play Netflix and get sky films for kids bedroom, this has to be something simple for them to use and me to flash, if there is a lot involved I will give them a miss.

need to be turn on and watch, not keep flashing the thing, that's what I ask what are they like.

Buy a roku Nap they play Netflix now tv and iplayer etc very easy to use but they are +£30 you can also load on custom channels ;) (not for kids)

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a roku Nap they play Netflix now tv and iplayer etc very easy to use but they are +£30 you can also load on custom channels ;) (not for kids)

Ian can you PM me a link m8 i'll check them out and may even buy a couple :)

I don't think search works for words of 3 letters or fewer anyway? Whilst searching for nowtv brings up the thread, looking for now tv returns no results. At least for me.

Also the bargain basement isn't where you'd expect to find that thread. It's going to take a bit of work (over 200 posts) but I think I need to demerge the bargain from the advice. However, I need to check with Mick first as it's looks to have pulled in a lot of traffic.

I thought admin would know this, hehehe

Of course I knew that :)

The Now TV Box doesn't do Netflix per se - it's available via Plex. Unfortunately no one has managed to sideload Netflix to the Now TV Box.
The Roku is a more complete solution than the Now TV Box. Native Netflix, native Plex, Twonky; all available from the channel store. Plex is still needed for ITV Player, YouTube etc. Twonky also offers network play as well as streaming from mobile devices.

If you go for the Roku 2 XS (~£65) or Roku 3 (RRP £99) you can play content from USB and MicroSD. However, much like the ATV, none of the Roku pucks can decode 5.1, so only act as passthrough devices. As such - if your TV can't 'do' 5.1 either - you won't get any sound without some sort of AV setup (the box defaults to stereo mode for apps, but downloads tend to only come with the one audio stream).

If you want LoveFilm Instant though, you appear to be out of luck. Though it was in the marketing spiel at launch, the channel just hasn't materialised. With Sky's investment in Roku, some are suggesting the channel is being deliberately held back by Roku. (If Amazon thought that though, there'd be a complaint to the Competition Commission)
move thread, leave permenant redirect ;)
I considered that, and it's probably what I'll have to do. But some of the posts are genuinely about the bargain, rather than hacking the puck.

Last edited:
Worked for me. 7th and 8th down are the ones to read.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/search.php?searchid=5337416
Because the search uses a locally stored cookie, that link doesn't work :(

I just done a search for Now tv and got nothing back, so what finds Now tv and Plex? Please
As explained, due to constraints within the forum's search function, you need to search for nowtv. Alternatively, first link in the second post of this thread will take you to one of the threads nara refers to.

Last edited:
Back