No access to some sites on network?

Gary Jackson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Chaps, having a spot of bother here :Doc:

Just got the network sorted on the bairn's new pc in his bedroom, connected with RJ45 crossover/lan card etc.....All is good with the network i.e sharing files and printers, but have a small problem with the internet sharing. This is a strange one but here goes, when connecting to the internet say Argos for test purposes all loads up fine.....go to google and that loads ok, but when I try to load up any link from google nothing happens!....it just hangs and tells me to check my internet setting. I am using the defalt setting on that pc. The same happens when I go to the microsoft site to update windows xp, same story...hangs and tells me to check the settings. Btw, i'v done this with the anti-virus and firewall turned off too, still the same.

Any idea's chaps?

That is strange, not seen that one before? What I would do first is check dns is configured correctly. using ipconfig first then try to ping the links that do not work. example if www.google.com did not load but www.google.co.uk did try pinging www.google.com and see if you get a responce. also turn off auto detect within internet explorer options, connections tab, lan settings.

Failing that rerun the wizard

Capdan

ok thx Capdan m8, i'll try l8r when the bairn isn't in.....I need to get the pc in his bedroom first, its his christmas pressy you see and that's where the other end of the RJ45 cable is...lol.....failing that i'll have to wait untill christmas day to do it!
I'm getting his fav website tho (runescape) so hopefully that will satisfy him till I can have a good look round it without sneeking about when he is not in..lol

Cheers

It could also be that the inital web pages are cached and the links are not, try connecting to a page that you have never connected before and see if it loads, if it doesn't run nslookup and enter, for example, google.com to see if an IP address is returned. If it is resolution seems to be ok, if it doesn't then check and the IPConfig details, hope you get connected.

Thanks

TESTPRN

Back