Nintendo wii comes to ps3!

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, they all copy off each other... I mean hell there's very strong rumors that the 360 Slim is coming out! But that's how the gaming industry works - one innovates and then another improves the formula. Sony and Nintendo are both the pioneers of the industry we have today and Microsoft have more money than experience which allows them to be competitive by default.

The way I see it, everyone copies off Nintendo... Sony wouldn't be anywhere today if they didn't work with Nintendo to make the PS1 then steel all their know how and run off and make it all on their own... MS thought they were going to do something simillar when they bought Rareware.

Nintendo have people who think with passion, creativity and vision... Sony and Microsoft can only think in terms of Biggggger... Betterrrrrrrr... More Powerrrrrrrr...

Last edited:
The way I see it, everyone copies off Nintendo... Sony wouldn't be anywhere today if they didn't work with Nintendo to make the PS1 then steel all their know how and run off and make it all on their own... MS thought they were going to do something simillar when they bought Rareware.

Nintendo have people who think with passion, creativity and vision... Sony and Microsoft can only think in terms of Biggggger... Betterrrrrrrr... More Powerrrrrrrr...

Hence a last gen machine in the HD era of technology not to mention all the shovelware ? I do see where you're coming from though I do disagree, mainly as Nintendo and Microsoft have done their fair share of copying off Sony as well with the disc drives. That's one area where Sony has always innovated no ifs and no buts. As I said one innovates (not necessarily Sony) and then one follows suit and copies but also improves the formula (again not necessarily Sony) but that's the way it goes.

But when it comes to creativity and more to the point vision, did Nintendo nail it with the Wii or did they take a stab in the dark gamble and it paid off better than anyone thought ? Are they really so much ahead of the curve or did they just get lucky ? Either way they knew they were on to a profit with the Wii before they even started due to the cheap as chips hardware. Credit where it's due for that. Makes you wonder if Nintendo will even bother with a next gen machine next time. If they can make it as kick ass as the snes was regarding game exclusives then I'll be delighted. Either way I'll be buying it.

Hence a last gen machine in the HD era of technology not to mention all the shovelware ? I do see where you're coming from though I do disagree, mainly as Nintendo and Microsoft have done their fair share of copying off Sony as well with the disc drives. That's one area where Sony has always innovated no ifs and no buts. As I said one innovates (not necessarily Sony) and then one follows suit and copies but also improves the formula (again not necessarily Sony) but that's the way it goes.

But when it comes to creativity and more to the point vision, did Nintendo nail it with the Wii or did they take a stab in the dark gamble and it paid off better than anyone thought ? Are they really so much ahead of the curve or did they just get lucky ? Either way they knew they were on to a profit with the Wii before they even started due to the cheap as chips hardware. Credit where it's due for that. Makes you wonder if Nintendo will even bother with a next gen machine next time. If they can make it as kick ass as the snes was regarding game exclusives then I'll be delighted. Either way I'll be buying it.

Making consoles with disk drives was hardly copying, lol, think that's deffinetly a case of natural progression following the advancment of technology! CD's DVD's hold more data and are cheaper to manufacture than carts. If it was a case of copying, then that would mean that Sony copied from the 3DO and the Sega Saturn which both used optical media before the PS1 did. Nintendo held out on the disks with the N64 (best gamers console ever ;-) ) mainly becasue of the user experience with loading times assosiated still with disks.

That was addressed/inavated by the ever considerate Nintendo by their use of mini DVDs and compression software - maybe not so much with the Wii, but that still has the best loading times of all the current consoles, especially when the game is made in house by Nintendo.

It was no stab in the dark. The creative minds at Nintendo looked at the market, the overall decline and sales drops, the stagnation and stale audience in the games market and asked the question, why? They came up with an answer and their own solution. They have breathed new life into the industry and shaken it up where their competitors where always too scared to do so, but Nintendo had that aurthority.

At the end of the day it's about the games and the experience, and all games companies bow to Nintendo's history and constant inovation.

They are all out for profits, but Nintendo is the only one who shows a bit of passion about the experience which they sell.

Last edited:
Making consoles with disk drives was hardly copying, lol, think that's deffinetly a case of natural progression following the advancment of technology! CD's DVD's hold more data and are cheaper to manufacture than carts. If it was a case of copying, then that would mean that Sony copied from the 3DO and the Sega Saturn which both used optical media before the PS1 did. Nintendo held out on the disks with the N64 (best gamers console ever ;-) ) mainly becasue of the user experience with loading times assosiated still with disks.

That was addressed/inavated by the ever considerate Nintendo by their use of mini DVDs and compression software - maybe not so much with the Wii, but that still has the best loading times of all the current consoles, especially when the game is made in house by Nintendo.

It was no stab in the dark. The creative minds at Nintendo looked at the market, the overall decline and sales drops, the stagnation and stale audience in the games market and asked the question, why? They came up with an answer and their own solution. They have breathed new life into the industry and shaken it up where their competitors where always too scared to do so, but Nintendo had that aurthority.

At the end of the day it's about the games and the experience, and all games companies bow to Nintendo's history and constant inovation.

They are all out for profits, but Nintendo is the only one who shows a bit of passion about the experience which they sell.

Clearly you haven't ever owned a console outside of Nintendo have you? Maybe if you broaden your horizons like I always have and check out the other side of the fence too :p But still you didn't mention the Wii shovelware.....Also as much as I love the N64 (had that long before PS1) it's very debatable that it's the best gamers console ever - granted it had Zelda/Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Mario64 and a bunch of other fantastic Rareware games but the PS1 had Metal Gear/FinalFantasy/Resident Evil/Silent Hill and loads of awesome games too....clearly you're a Nintendo fanboy judging by the way you speak about them and their consoles so I'm trying to take that into account too. Me on the other hand, not a fanboy and never have been. I was brought up on multi console lol. Sonic AND Mario in my childhood. Ocarina Of Time AND Metal Gear Solid (completed these two games more times than I care to remember!) in my teens. And now it's more Uncharted AND Super Mario Galaxy as my Wii gets played more than my 360 in all honesty as I'm not an online player and I'm no fan of Halo or Gears, though it might have more to do with the fact that my 360 is fooked again - I've had three 360's now and none of them have lasted longer than a year and two of them were bought new....to be honest I only have a 360 on general principle so that I don't miss out on any exclusives case in point Splinter Cell Conviction and Alan Wake this summer.

Yeah fair play I forgot about the 3DO and the Saturn and yes they did use optical media but (and it's a big one) PS1 was the first console to really innovate with it properly in providing a whole new experience to the player that you just couldn't get on any other console available. Whereas 3DO and Saturn didn't do much outside of improved sound synths. As for blu ray discs forget about it lol. But whether it's copying or natural progression it doesn't matter because my point is still the same. One innovates, another copies and improves. Even Nintendo. And as much as I hate Microsoft as a company I give them their due credit for innovation too, as they were at least innovative enough to bring online play successfully to the home consoles. And they were the first to bring about the current gen of consoles so they get innovation marks for that too.

Last edited:
Why do so many threads on dw at the minute turn into an argument?

Err because you're reading too much into them? M8 this is not an argument, certainly not from my end all it is it's light hearted and honest debate that's all....based on a point which you brought up and I followed up on. Maybe if you actually read the posts you wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. That being said, it's all good here. :)

Err because you're reading too much into them? M8 this is not an argument, certainly not from my end all it is it's light hearted and honest debate that's all....based on a point which you brought up and I followed up on. Maybe if you actually read the posts you wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. That being said, it's all good here. :)

I have read the posts thanks.

Edit: Just noticed raven24 that after i made my post you edited your post pmsl nice try!

That's bullcrap because if you hadn't jumped the gun you'd know we weren't arguing, so clearly that last post is your passive aggressive way of trying to turn this thread into an argument - Wow talk about irony! Jeez....Thread was fine before you stirred the pot. Though I can understand your need to be the center of attention in your own thread.....sort it out pal.

I have read the posts thanks.

That's bullcrap because if you hadn't jumped the gun you'd know we weren't arguing, so clearly that last post is your passive aggressive way of trying to turn this thread into an argument - Wow talk about irony! Jeez....Thread was fine before you stirred the pot. Though I can understand your need to be the center of attention in your own thread.....sort it out pal.

I say sort it out then I double or triple post lol! Anyway my point was there was no argument previously just honest debate and light hearted at that. :)

Ok m8 peace out.

[/b]

Clearly you haven't ever owned a console outside of Nintendo have you? Maybe if you broaden your horizons like I always have and check out the other side of the fence too :p But still you didn't mention the Wii shovelware.....Also as much as I love the N64 (had that long before PS1) it's very debatable that it's the best gamers console ever - granted it had Zelda/Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Mario64 and a bunch of other fantastic Rareware games but the PS1 had Metal Gear/FinalFantasy/Resident Evil/Silent Hill and loads of awesome games too....clearly you're a Nintendo fanboy judging by the way you speak about them and their consoles so I'm trying to take that into account too. Me on the other hand, not a fanboy and never have been. I was brought up on multi console lol. Sonic AND Mario in my childhood. Ocarina Of Time AND Metal Gear Solid (completed these two games more times than I care to remember!) in my teens. And now it's more Uncharted AND Super Mario Galaxy as my Wii gets played more than my 360 in all honesty as I'm not an online player and I'm no fan of Halo or Gears, though it might have more to do with the fact that my 360 is fooked again - I've had three 360's now and none of them have lasted longer than a year and two of them were bought new....to be honest I only have a 360 on general principle so that I don't miss out on any exclusives case in point Splinter Cell Conviction and Alan Wake this summer.

Yeah fair play I forgot about the 3DO and the Saturn and yes they did use optical media but (and it's a big one) PS1 was the first console to really innovate with it properly in providing a whole new experience to the player that you just couldn't get on any other console available. Whereas 3DO and Saturn didn't do much outside of improved sound synths. As for blu ray discs forget about it lol. But whether it's copying or natural progression it doesn't matter because my point is still the same. One innovates, another copies and improves. Even Nintendo. And as much as I hate Microsoft as a company I give them their due credit for innovation too, as they were at least innovative enough to bring online play successfully to the home consoles. And they were the first to bring about the current gen of consoles so they get innovation marks for that too.

erm wasnt the dreamcast the first console to do online ,i think you mite wanna change your location saying thingy m8 because you dont "tell it like it is"you tell it how you see it-theres a world of differance in the 2

lol, think the Sarge was getting onto your accusations and judgemets of a personal nature. These are the things that normally always result in full blown arguments on here.

Aye, not into all this fanboy business, it's all very childish, and I've owned most consoles bar the ps3 and 360. Suppose it depends where your gaming education begins really, it's all a matter of history. This isn't the first time Nintend have turned the industry on its head. If it wasn't for the NES there would't be a games industry.

Not sure what you mean by the PS1 experience? Wasn't it just a console with a disk drive and FMV cut scenes?

Personally, my respect for Nintendo comes from an artistic stand point; their ability to create engauging iconic characters and games is completly unrivaled. Look at Zelda on the Wii, the game is nothing more than art in motion, and it is so polished in every single area, you can't even imagine the amount of time and effort, and love for that matter, that went into it. No one else makes games like that.

At the end of the day, games are just games, nothing to get excited about, but in terms of who has given the most to the industry AND gamers, then it's Nintendo. I'm a fan of imagination, and they have plenty of that, that's why Nintendo stand out for me and many others which shouldn't make you a fanboy!

Last edited:
erm wasnt the dreamcast the first console to do online ,i think you mite wanna change your location saying thingy m8 because you dont "tell it like it is"you tell it how you see it-theres a world of differance in the 2

You might wanna re read that m8, there's a reason why I put "to the grave" - meaning people don't like it. Obviously I tell it how I see it. Everybody does. It doesn't mean we are always right though and I think you should stop taking potshots at me m8. Regarding the Dreamcast comment that you quoted me on, again you miss the point entirely as I did say Xbox was first console to successfully do online play did I not..... and the fact still remains that the Dreamcast sunk and the Xbox didn't m8 so which ever way you slice it I'm still right because Microsoft made a success of it and brought it into the mainstream. Which also fits into my original point about the gaming industry on consoles and how one innovates and then another copies and improves.

At the end of the day, games are just games, nothing to get excited about, but in terms of who has given the most to the industry AND gamers, then it's Nintendo. I'm a fan of imagination, and they have plenty of that, that's why Nintendo stand out for me and many others which shouldn't make you a fanboy!

I agree completely with some of this but not all of it. Nintendo's experience and rep speaks for itself though I'd a point about who gave the most to the industry.....

This isn't the first time Nintend have turned the industry on its head.

Very true!

Not sure what you mean by the PS1 experience? Wasn't it just a console with a disk drive and FMV cut scenes?

Personally, my respect for Nintendo comes from an artistic stand point; their ability to create engauging iconic characters and games is completly unrivaled. Look at Zelda on the Wii, the game is nothing more than art in motion, and it is so polished in every single area, you can't even imagine the amount of time and effort, and love for that matter, that went into it. No one else makes games like that.

No it was the first one to successfully do disc based gaming properly and offer epic gaming experiences, seemlessly merge FMV with in engine cut scenes, and superior audio - all of which you just could not get on any other console at the time.

As for Nintendo's gaming characters, from Donkey Kong to Metroid to Zelda and of course Mario I completely agree with you on. And I love those games. But Zelda on Wii although it is extremely artistic granted but it is not polished in every single area I'm sorry but it's not. Awesome game though - and nobody else makes games like that except for the folks who made Okami - again proving my point about this imitative industry! I see your point though.

lol, think the Sarge was getting onto your accusations and judgemets of a personal nature. These are the things that normally always result in full blown arguments on here.

If it's about the fanboy comment or anything else I was simply going by the impression I got from the way you's worded your posts - though if I offended either one of you then I apologize for that as it wasn't my intention just so you know. :)

Last edited:
Why do so many threads on dw at the minute turn into an argument?

We have a virus, it's called Raven24 ;)

Just noticed something basic that no-one has mentioned before.

Some people aren't as clued up on Sony as they might feel they are. :)

Way back in the dark ages, when I could be found shit deep playing my NEC PC-Engine........Nintendo asked Sony to develope a CD-ROM drive for their Super Nintendo.

Nintendo later pulled out of the deal and left SONY in the lurch after spending many millions in research.

SONY then decided that what they had created was a good basis for a games console, and so the Playstation was born.

Unrelated, but I'd like to tell everyone about my latest eBay bargain, a fully boxed SEGA Dreamcast, 2 pads, 2 VMU, Keyboard, Shenmue, Illbleed, Sonic and Sword of the Bezerk all for £25 including delivery.

Viva la retro!

Last edited:
Alright then girls, feck the bicking now... it never happened.

Looking around, apparently the SNES and MegaDrive both had online play via something called an X-Band adapter (3rd party) or the Satellaview, and the N64 had something called RANDnetDD - these all seem to be Japan only releases, which is why we think the DC was online first!

So, going by this theory, online play has been copied from a Nintendo console :proud:. Online play on consoles isn't an inovation, it is just a standard set by PC gamers, so of course consoles will inherit this, and of course the online experience will improve per every next gen, it's not like they will try and make it worse!?!?

What I'm getting at is that disk based optical media consoles were going to go mainstream (which is what I think you are getting at) sooner rather than later anyway, with or without Sony - this isn't the case with motion controls, that is shear inovation, not imediate natural technology advancement (this sounds like Open University now!)

PS1 was a massive hit. People were enchanted by the FMV and choice of games, and Sony brought revolution to the sector with their marketing methods and experience which took Nintendo another 2 generations to catch up with. It's a shame the populas are so easily sucked in by some fluffy FMV and sexed up marketing, becasue as any, dare I say, hardcore gamer from that era would know, the N64 was where it was at in terms of AAA quality of games, in-game graphics and controls (bar d-pad fighing games). It was raw hardcore, and most of the top games were too hard for soft-assed new bread of gamer... If Zelda on the Wii isn't polished in every way, then it must be on the N64 as it's highly regarded by most as the best game ever made!

... Rumble pack... there's another one Nintendo came up with first!! (I think... no... I BET!!)

Anyway, I think by your replies you conceed that Nintendo is #1 at the end of the day, but I agree with you that it would be boring if they were the only one and competition is healthy for enhancment and progression...

OK, and that's me out... think I've gone into too much depth about the games industry here - I feel dirty!!!!!

We have a virus, it's called Raven24 ;)

Just noticed something basic that no-one has mentioned before.

Some people aren't as clued up on Sony as they might feel they are. :)

Way back in the dark ages, when I could be found shit deep playing my NEC PC-Engine........Nintendo asked Sony to develope a CD-ROM drive for their Super Nintendo.

Nintendo later pulled out of the deal and left SONY in the lurch after spending many millions in research.

SONY then decided that what they had created was a good basis for a games console, and so the Playstation was born.

Nintendo came up with the idea of using a CD-ROM, not SONY.

Unrelated, but I'd like to tell everyone about my latest eBay bargain, a fully boxed SEGA Dreamcast, 2 pads, 2 VMU, Keyboard, Shenmue, Illbleed, Sonic and Sword of the Bezerk all for £25 including delivery.

Viva la retro!

I did mention that, just not in as much depth as you did... Thank you, I can go to bed not feeling quite as geeky now...

Back