nilesat what can you get?

Tonight i have scanned in around 120 more channels making 175 in total this was at 9.15pm, strange when i wasn't able to before.
1m dish titanium twin lnb. I was thinking of purchasing the Iverto black ultra twin if would make a slight differance as other tranponders lock then drop off agian.?

Today i got the inverto black ultra twin , and was really pi**ed of played around for 50mins with the skew also sliding lnb backwards then forwards slowly while my lad was watching for a lock on 7 west not a chance, other sats where ok. So put back on the Smart Titanium twin lnb spot on not a problem. I would have thought if the smart titanium picked up 7w then the inverto should ?. Any advice please

Today i got the inverto black ultra twin , and was really pi**ed of played around for 50mins with the skew also sliding lnb backwards then forwards slowly while my lad was watching for a lock on 7 west not a chance, other sats where ok. So put back on the Smart Titanium twin lnb spot on not a problem. I would have thought if the smart titanium picked up 7w then the inverto should ?. Any advice please

More information needed from you:-

Where are you ??
What size dish are you using ??

More information needed from you:-

Where are you ??
What size dish are you using ??

Hi i am at doncaster using a 1m dish, I have posted before but since i have fitted new bracket and realigned dish , i now have 238 channels all off 7.0w , through the day i do lose some, but on a evening 9 oclock onwards such as jsc sports hd and ad hd sports get a signal again i just thought after reading post on various forums and the good feedback that the iverto gets it may be slightly better than the one i have but it seem to be not the case.

Hi i am at doncaster using a 1m dish, I have posted before but since i have fitted new bracket and realigned dish , i now have 238 channels all off 7.0w , through the day i do lose some, but on a evening 9 oclock onwards such as jsc sports hd and ad hd sports get a signal again i just thought after reading post on various forums and the good feedback that the iverto gets it may be slightly better than the one i have but it seem to be not the case.

That's interesting, how old is the Smart Titanium twin and what make is the 1m, the long focus range on the Black Ultra does help but doesn't get all dishes if it's a longer focus.

The Black Ultra single is the best of the Ultras, the twin outputs slightly less power & the quad less again as measured on a pro meter over a 30m run anyway, the Invacom quad has the reputation on dishes over 2m for fringe reception but not the single or twin & doesn't have the same reputation on sub 2m dishes.

That's interesting, how old is the Smart Titanium twin and what make is the 1m, the long focus range on the Black Ultra does help but doesn't get all dishes if it's a longer focus.

The Black Ultra single is the best of the Ultras, the twin outputs slightly less power & the quad less again as measured on a pro meter over a 30m run anyway, the Invacom quad has the reputation on dishes over 2m for fringe reception but not the single or twin & doesn't have the same reputation on sub 2m dishes.

Interesting comment re. the Ultras- some Astra 2A North transponders are very weak here and someone just HAD to get 'At The Races', of the 3 Ultras I tried, the quad was the only one that worked reliably on a 133cm offset. Whether this was a one-off down to individual tolerances or general I still don't know. Which 'Pro' meter did you use?

I wonder if the manufacturing tolerance on the Invertos is so low that performance varies between models and units of the same model even if they should all be identical? I've seen a couple of threads on other boards where people have found the twin outperform the single but then I've got two singles and one is definitely better than the other on mid band marginal stuff.

It may be that your focus point needs some adjustment this can be achieved by the method you have already used moving the Lnb backwards & forwards in the Lnb mount whilst viewing a signal meter also adjust the dish declination slightly this can be found to benefit the signals by lightly flexing the top then the bottom of the dish while viewing a signal meter then adjust the dish declination accordingly,

For a motorised system the Lnb needs to be at 12:00 as the skew is achieved by the dish movement.

I wonder if the manufacturing tolerance on the Invertos is so low that performance varies between models and units of the same model even if they should all be identical? I've seen a couple of threads on other boards where people have found the twin outperform the single but then I've got two singles and one is definitely better than the other on mid band marginal stuff.

I think you have answered your own question there... they're churned out by the million in China (like everything else) and probably only batch-sampled- and let's face it, compared with 20 years ago they are cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cheap, remember paying something like £140 for a triple band LNB with Telecom band extension or something like that back in ermmm 1991-2? And just to watch the music videos on M6 and listen to NRJ.

The smart titanium is 12months old as is the technomate dish , i do know this dish aint that good i shall after look at something else

Interesting comment re. the Ultras- some Astra 2A North transponders are very weak here and someone just HAD to get 'At The Races', of the 3 Ultras I tried, the quad was the only one that worked reliably on a 133cm offset. Whether this was a one-off down to individual tolerances or general I still don't know. Which 'Pro' meter did you use?

Rover meter but that was just power, at what point it translates to quality measures on cable length & dish size is not quite the same, the MER was no difference and no difference on an Invacom if I recall, but the power was lower still on the Invacom, could be it's too much power.

Rover meter but that was just power, at what point it translates to quality measures on cable length & dish size is not quite the same, the MER was no difference and no difference on an Invacom if I recall, but the power was lower still on the Invacom, could be it's too much power.

"Power" probably relates to the amplitude of the signal, which isn't of much consequence unless you have a very long cable run. Signal to noise ratio is far more important, and cross-polarity isolation (i.e. not seeing verticals when you want horizontal & vice-versa) is also important for fringe reception. A good spectrum analyser would be able to see the differences there.
Very unlikely the signal is too strong, unless the receiver has a lousy tuner.

Been debating for a while whether to increase the size of my old 0.9m dish with something capable of receiving Nilesat and Badr. Took the plunge and bought a 1.25m Favel dish off ebay and went ahead this weekend to install. Only problem was being too hasty and tried to fit it single handed and dropped it from quite a height which did cause some edge damage, but was not sure how much affect it would have, so went ahead and completed the setup.
When I eventually tested the signal it doesn't pull in anything like what I hoped although I have managed to receive a handful off Badr which was not previously possible, but not getting a good signal on 10e whatever fine adjustments I make.
I can only assume the dish is slightly warped which is stopping me achieve a signal on the difficult sats. Been researching and appears a method to check the perimeter/warping is to place face down on a flat surface (ie Glass table). Would this be worth the effort or should I cut my losses and replace.
Btw Using Technomate 5402hd and inverto black ultra twin.

Been debating for a while whether to increase the size of my old 0.9m dish with something capable of receiving Nilesat and Badr. Took the plunge and bought a 1.25m Favel dish off ebay and went ahead this weekend to install. Only problem was being too hasty and tried to fit it single handed and dropped it from quite a height which did cause some edge damage, but was not sure how much affect it would have, so went ahead and completed the setup.
When I eventually tested the signal it doesn't pull in anything like what I hoped although I have managed to receive a handful off Badr which was not previously possible, but not getting a good signal on 10e whatever fine adjustments I make.
I can only assume the dish is slightly warped which is stopping me achieve a signal on the difficult sats. Been researching and appears a method to check the perimeter/warping is to place face down on a flat surface (ie Glass table). Would this be worth the effort or should I cut my losses and replace.

Ouch!! Done it myself mate :( Assuming it's steel & not aluminium, you may be able to rescue it. Even looking across the rim can usually give a good indication of warped-ness (?). I have even attacked dishes without even taking them off the bracket (fixed not motor)- sometimes it works, sometimes not. Come what may you should at least see an improvement if you try & true it up a bit, doesn't cost anything. But yes, even quite a small warp can drop an awful lot of signal. The rest of your kit looks spot on. Good luck- let us know how you get on.

Tip- undo the rim damage first, that can help quite a lot on its own.

"Power" probably relates to the amplitude of the signal, which isn't of much consequence unless you have a very long cable run. Signal to noise ratio is far more important, and cross-polarity isolation (i.e. not seeing verticals when you want horizontal & vice-versa) is also important for fringe reception. A good spectrum analyser would be able to see the differences there.
Very unlikely the signal is too strong, unless the receiver has a lousy tuner.

must have missed your reply or something - see MER

Would this be worth the effort or should I cut my losses and replace.

Not sure if Faval are that good anyway but if you put a dish on a flat surface, especially a flimsy one, the weight can pull it flat.

Where are you because a quality 90 will usually get badr4 & so much of 7w depending where you are.

Back