Newbie questions, attempting 1st motorised setup

Blade_uk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry for the long 1st post.

I have ordered the following which will all be with me by the end of the week & have a few questions & points I would like help answering/confirming. This is my 1st Satellite system so please don’t be shy in pointing out the blatantly obvious.

Technomate TM-6900 SUPER HD COMBO
V Box
Diablo 2.3 Cam & Programmer
Triax 80cm fibre glass dish with 36-volt Jaeger 128 H to H motor,
Titanium 0.2dB twin LNB.

My motor is fixed to a 3” pole (3.2M long ¼ thick) supported by 2 K’s & 1T 24” wall brackets, the top K is 1M below my guttering. & I’ve installed the pole totally vertical (checked with a plumb line & spirit level in 4 positions around the pole)

Q1
Do the following set of angles/info seem correct?

Motor Elevation
My Latitude is 50.734 deg (Elevation Angle)
plus
Declination Angle which is 7.4 deg
Equals 58.1
Minus the 90deg that the manual doesn’t tell you about
Equals 31.9 deg

So I set my Motors elevation angle to 31.9 deg from horizontal (this seems right)

Q2
Dish Angle
50.734 deg (Elevation Angle)
minus
Offset angle of dish (apparently) 26 deg
Minus
Declination Angle which is 7.4 deg
Equals 17.3 deg

So I set my dish angle to be 17.3 deg tilted back from vertical (this doesn’t seem right)

Q3
I set my motor to 0 & point it at 182 deg (True South) tighten up motor on pole
Select 1W & fine tune any left or right adjustment by loosening bolts & moving the whole motor on pole to get best reception
Then adjust if necessary to track ARC

Q4
Can I raise my dish/motor pole up by 1M above the roof after I’ve set my motor & dish angles up & have completed any fine tuning to get all the viewable sat’s at the best signal strength/quality with a good tracking of the ARC. Obviously I would have to make sure it was still vertical & still pointing in exactly the same direction after I’ve raised it (which I can do as I have marked a centre line on the pole & on to all of the brackets to help with identifying any movements after it’s been set).
I would like it as high as possible to get the best reception, but can only get to it to make adjustments whilst it is positioned at the lower level.

Q5
Being a novice should I buy a meter/finder? Or use the receiver?
If so which one?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered

i can answer the one about the hight,that is as long as you can hit all the satelites you want an extra mtr is not going to increase your reception considering how far away the satelites are in the first place,if however you need to cleer the gutter etc to hit the satelites you can do as you sugest just makes it more triky, as for your motor settings although have put a few up and have been asleep since then, all i did was set the motors angles up and moved the dish angles till i hit the satelite, hope this helps iam no expert but you sound like you have understood the basics and will do just fine. kit sounds fine but why the big motor and v box,the technomate can power a smaller motor with out the need for a v box

Thanks for the reply

I've read so must conflicting info & didn't want to spend hours not getting anywhere & just wanted a bit of reassurance I was doing the right thing

I went for the motor because of the wind down that side of the house, especially if i need it up above the gutter height, & with the option of getting a bigger dish if needed without changing pole & motor

your choice with motor propably better in circumstances.but you will be fine there are plenty of tutorials and few them can be misleading,but we have all bin there, its like any thing else it seems dificult it till you ve done one

sorry didnt answer about meter depends , wouldnt buy an expensive one unless your plannng on making a living installing sat systems.

Back