Newbie needs dm500s mgcamd advice-please

theequalizer

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
I ordered a dm500s from zeus and I am trying to read all the threads to learn how to use this machine. (it's like learning a new language)

Although I haven't got my machine yet, I'm trying to prepare.

If someone could answer the following I'd be really greatful :)

1. Most people use Gemini 4.0 (latest version),with cccam and mgcamd?
  2. I use cccam for my ftv sky card and you don't have to change any settings..it will just work?
  3. But this is a question I couldn't find an answer to.I have a CS with a friend using newcamd on my technomate 1600 at the moment.When I get my dm500s I believe I use mgcamd for newcamd,but can't anywhere that tells you how to edit a provider to link to an external newcamd server and where you put server details/passwords etc.

Can anyone help?

There is a pretty good guide here which got me up and running with the basics when i first received my dreambox. Once you have installed the cams, you will have to FTP across some keys. If you just want to use Sky, you wont need any keys or cams, as you just put the sky card into the common interface slot.

As far a Cardsharing is concerned there are also a few tutorials on the web on how to set these up depending on what you want. If you currently have a TM1600 and want to use Gbox on your dbox, then ultimately all you need to do is edit the softcam.cfg and add your server/friends details, although some other tweaking may be required depending on your needs.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you have confused me.

Basically he has a certain albanian package and says I can share it.

I think I should be using mgcamd ( on my dm500s) to connect to his card using newcamd protocol.
What I am trying to ask is there a mgcamd setting that when I tune into the said package it connects to his card?

For mgcamd I think you will need to store the server, login and password in the file "mg_cfg" in the directory /var/keys and restart the cam.

I'm sure if you search you will find more info on it. Still in the learning process myself. ;)

using mgcamd you will have a file called newcamd.list in the var.keys folder

edit this file so it looks like

#CWS IP of friends share port to share on username password 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 WAN server name

your friend will be able to supply this to you as in his newcs (share) config file he will have to add a username and password so you can gain access

Thanks digidude and everyone else.

I can't wait until the box arrives...that's when the real fun (and swearing) starts!

just hide all the hammers m8 lol

ive been playing with these for a few years, i gave up the 1st time after 6 months and sold the lot, but am now learning loads, but still want to trash the lot every now and then :)

Got my dreambox today and aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Got it setup and scanned a few sats.

Got mgcamd working with softcam.

But I just cant get my digitalb CS working.

I have been trying for 6 LONG HOURS and can't get it to login to server.

Dreambox says internet connection is ok, but I can't get it work.

ANY help before I go nuts!??!??!?!?

ok m8 you need mgcamd AND newcs

ftp into var/tuxbox/config folder on your reciever and you should see 2 files, one called newcs.xml and the other newcamd.config, if you dont have both of these then you need to download the config files from the install menu you used to download the cams. now in the folder var/keys you also need a file called newcamd.list. if any of these 3 gfiles are missing none of it will work

here you go m8

unzip this file and just copy it straight to your reciever, itll prompt you to overwrite the existing config files but these will work for ANY active viewing card using mgcamd and newcs ;)

All sorted now...i was using wan instead of lan!

I think this is going to be a real learning curve!

Yes all working now.

I spent 6 hours tring to get it to work and I was only one letter out!

The only other thing was dreamup wasn't working this morning.
Luckily the box came with gemini on it, but i wanted to put the latest version on it.
It found the box ok, but done nothing!
Wouldn't erase or anything and the box stayed greyed out.

I was following this post:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/134463/

Anyway I'm probably doing something slighty wrong, but I am going to try another null modem cable.I have just sent for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi m8ty reading your post regarding your dreambox, you seem to be well on it anyway,reading up and doing homework before arrival is good, regarding your null modem cable seing the box but doing nothing, i had the same problem the other day , but mines not a dreambox (mutant 200s) , i purchased a usb to serial lead for my laptop and it wouldnt do anything, then i reduced the baud rate and everything is now ok , perhaps this maybe so with yours?
Regards Boris

So i got a new cable and still nothing.

It finds the box as a dm500s, but does nothing else.

What baud rate settings on your computer do you use?
Current settings for my com:
Baud:9600
Data bits:8
parity:none
stop bits:1
flow control:none

Also am I doing it right?
Box unplugged.Null modem cable in.
Click connect and wait for the 'connection prepared-switch on dreambox'
Then I plug in box and wait.

This is where nothing happens accept it finds dm500s.

Is there any hidden setting on the box I am missing?

Sorry to be a pain guys

turn the dreambox off

connect the null cable

run dreamup

turn on the dreambox and it should say 500c (or something) detected.

erase the flash yes. and load you image then ok :)

I cant remember the exact icons names or wording, i just do without looking now.

As for cam, i would use CCcam 2.0.3 if your going to share if on keys then probably mgcamd coz of the tps fix, although there is a CCcam tps fix.

Then there is lots more to learn for sharing. But i dont know if that is a tabo subject here.

I only read up for educational purposes as i like to muck about with linux :)

Cheers n0w but that is what I was saying.

It finds the box ok, but then nothing happens.

No matter what version of dreamup or universal dreamup I use it says found dm500-s, but all boxes stay greyed out.

No erase....nothing :(

maybe try this, goto expert setup and make sure "Don't open serial port" is NOT ticked.

Reboot, check its saved then switch off and try again.

If your still stuck then pm me, i will provide you with a busy dedicated DB forum. So you may find the answer your looking for.

Cheers.

Back