Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Virgin STB offers 'cost-free HD'

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
broadcasting_virgin_media_hd_v_box_02.jpg

Virgin Media has unveiled a new set top box offering access to its high definition channel lineup without the need for an additional monthly fee.

Launching on March 22, the new HD receiver, named the V HD Box, will be open up access to the cable operator's HD channels at no further subscription cost for consumers.

New and existing customers across all pay-TV tiers (M+, L, XL) will be able to 'purchase' the receiver for £49 plus a £35 installation fee, but then pay no monthly HD fee.

The receiver, created by Virgin Media's partner Cisco, includes HDMI, SCART, USB and Ethernet ports, and is also geared to support 3D services.

It joins Virgin Media's existing receiver lineup, alongside the basic V Box and the V+ HD Box incorporating HD capability with a personal video recorder. As Virgin Media retains ownership of all its set top boxes, customers are covered for warranty repairs should anything go wrong.

Yesterday, Virgin Media announced the forthcoming arrival of Sci Fi HD, marking its sixth new HD channel in 2010 following announcements about Eurosport HD, Discovery HD, E4 HD, Film4 HD and ITV HD.

Freesat and Freeview aside, current industry practice stipulates that access to HD content carries a further cost beyond the pay-TV packages. However, Virgin Media wants to kickstart a 'sea-change' in how HD content is made available in the UK.

Virgin Media's executive director of digital entertainment Cindy Rose said: "We want to make the best high definition TV available to more people at affordable prices and without the additional monthly subscription fee.

"If you really love telly you'll probably want our V+HD box because then you can then record programmes on up to two channels while simultaneously watching another.

"Our new V HD Box is ideal for anyone who wants to experience the power of HD without the extra monthly fee. We think our superb range of TV content gives our customers a real choice and makes Virgin Media the best value TV offering available."

Customers can pre-register now for the V HD Box at Virgin Media's website.

So free HD on all the subscription channels even if you only got basic tv sub?

So if your on very min tv package you can pay one off fee £49 + £35 = £84 and you get BBC HD, Sci Fi HD, Eurosport HD, Discovery HD, E4 HD, Film4 HD and ITV HD is that right plus all the on demand HD content?

Last edited:
Its no wonder they arent looking to charge extra on top of monthly charges.

Would anyone pay extra to get them 6 channels?

What gets me is they make you pay for the box plus installation fee, then at the end of your contract if you leave them they want the bloody box back.

At least with freeview or freesat the equipment is yours.

Not that I'm bothered my cable box has been disconnected since they installed it. I download everything i WANT to watch.

iv allready got 1 v+hd (subbed ) downstairs !! & wanted another upstairs, this the price was £150 for the 2nd v+HD .......so now with this news do u think i'd get a this as the 2nd box ..for£49 plus a £35 installation , instead of £150 for the v+hd ?

Just had a read and it says no charge if your an xl customer, well i'm an xl customer now and don't pay extra for hd so don't see whats new.

Will look again tomorrow when not drinking stella's :)

Thx John, just registered my interest.

Why am I interested in something with not many channeld that are HD, well I can't get freeview and won't be able to until 2012 and the world ends then....:proud:, so I may as well get to see some hdtv, even if not a lot.

it's a good step for Virgin to take not adding any cost for HD channels. As I can see Sky dropping there monthly charge for their HD. VM don't have the sports and movies in HD but Sky wouldn't like there competition offering it for free.

Also I might just need my eyes testing but i can't see a HDMI socket, only the label on that box.

u shurly can ....................... they look very small unless the bloke has small hands, i would like to see the full spec on 1 tho, + DolbyDigital, Eternet & USB ! HMMMM Very intersting ..virgin have kept this 1 quite ...now lets see how good they are ! when they start installling them.

it's a good step for Virgin to take not adding any cost for HD channels. As I can see Sky dropping there monthly charge for their HD. VM don't have the sports and movies in HD but Sky wouldn't like there competition offering it for free.

Also I might just need my eyes testing but i can't see a HDMI socket, only the label on that box.

HDMI cable seems to be next to the power cable... This is a long over due update on the SMT-2110C

So, does this little thing do all the interactive stuff too? Will it be nice and fast / crash free? Is that ethernet there as an input ala a dbox, or is there a modem in there that actually works with 10+ Mb boardband??

Back