New Shape PS2

Shipoftheline

Banned
Reaction score
Guys I already have a Gaycube and a Chipped XBOX so I'm now after the new shape PS2. I'm thinking of going to the computer fair on Saturday to get one and get it chipped at the same time but don't know if there is a modchip for this model yet. So any of you know if there is one and is yes will it be a straight boot chip because I hate the swap things

PT3000_1_lq.jpg

Well from the site's I've checked £104 apart from Amazon which is £94.99 but I wont use them again they extract the unrine with there delivery times. Three days I was told last time. I canceled after finding out it would be seven

Oh should add the eithernet comes built into this new shape PS2

I though the new slimmer unit wasn't released until early November?? It looks like thay have done another round of cost reductions similar to the PS when it was turned into the PSone.

They took the power supply unit out and added it as an extrenal power adapter. Saves internal components, plastic and easier to repair should the PSU fail. It looks like they have done the same here.

I would expect most "later" modchips will work but the connection points could be different due to the PCB layout change.

Just been found out the PS2 can have anormal IDE HDD installed with the help of some apps. hmm may do this too. Save's on all the memory cards

You need to get a sony network adapter before you can put a HD in the PS2. Will cost around £15 - £20 from the net. Try Divineo.

The hard disc can be anything over 40GB but no more than 120GB (seems to be issues below & above) and steer clear of Seagate drives there are other issues with them.

You then need the software - one was called "HD Loader" This is what I now need.

I have a good guide on how to taken from Micromart - I'll write it up over the weekend as post a link.

Well went to Bowlers today and was told they couldn't chip the new shape PS2 there and then. Also the new PS2 is not HDD supported so fecked it off and got another XBOX for my bedroom. A nice Crystall one with 80GB hdd. I have Evox 2.6 here read and ordered a wireless adaptor sound as a pound :)

Defiant said:
The new shape PS2 has eithernet built in ;)

You're right the new one does have the network port but no IDE connector on it. The older unit's Network adpater also had a Standard IDE connector on it.

I purchased a new shape yesterday for a prezzie for someone. £99 in woolies or bundle of four games, 2 controlers £139. £105 in Game. Dixons/Currys are £119 with three games, a dancemat and cheat exploder.

Game are doing a trade in - get the new one for £65 or £69 - not a good trade in but when you have four in pieces sitting here it's prob worth getting one justto explore!

The unit now rund off a 8.5v PSU and is a top loader only - so no more drawer issues. It is 75% smaller than original - In fact it is about as big as my diary. Interestingly it states on the box that it will read DVD-R's etc !!! It looks like they have taken the time to scale this down ready for the in car gamers.

Unit is chipable - using a matrix infinity. See post in Good News at last. Anyone know a source for them in uk now that the laws have been passed??

Back