New car service?

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
When normally is a new cars first service due?

The reason I ask is I have noticed a creaking noise from the back drivers side wheel and today my handbrake failed and my car rolled into the back of someone else's car.

The car was new on Feb 6th 2009 and has done about 4,000 miles.

Why might my handbrake have not worked?

I reversed into the parking spot which was on an incline (so I was facing uphill), I levelled my wing mirrors with the cars either side of me, so I knew my nose wasn't sticking out of the box. Pulled on the handbrake, got out and went in to work. About 20 minutes later someone came in and joked about my parking. I didn't know what they were on about and then they said I was touching the car behind. So I dashed out to look and my car had rolled back into the other car. The damage looked quite bad, so I went and fetched the owner and she said it was already damaged, but not quite as bad. After i moved my car I left it in gear to prevent it rolling again but just concerned why it did roll in the first place?

She said her alarm went off, but it does it all the time and she just pressed the button to turn it off without checking. This was after I had walked from my car, across the car park gone into the building, signed in and was chatting to the receptionist.

FFS there is always something. My car doesn't have a mark on it and my bumper was actually touching the left middle of her bumper so couldn't have damaged the corner, could it?

When normally is a new cars first service due?

The reason I ask is I have noticed a creaking noise from the back drivers side wheel and today my handbrake failed and my car rolled into the back of someone else's car.

The car was new on Feb 6th 2009 and has done about 4,000 miles.

Why might my handbrake have not worked?

I reversed into the parking spot which was on an incline (so I was facing uphill), I levelled my wing mirrors with the cars either side of me, so I knew my nose wasn't sticking out of the box. Pulled on the handbrake, got out and went in to work. About 20 minutes later someone came in and joked about my parking. I didn't know what they were on about and then they said I was touching the car behind. So I dashed out to look and my car had rolled back into the other car. The damage looked quite bad, so I went and fetched the owner and she said it was already damaged, but not quite as bad. After i moved my car I left it in gear to prevent it rolling again but just concerned why it did roll in the first place?

She said her alarm went off, but it does it all the time and she just pressed the button to turn it off without checking. This was after I had walked from my car, across the car park gone into the building, signed in and was chatting to the receptionist.

FFS there is always something. My car doesn't have a mark on it and my bumper was actually touching the left middle of her bumper so couldn't have damaged the corner, could it?

That does not sound good mate.
Usually its first service is in 12000 miles or a year, whichever comes first.
However its handbrake should not fail at such a low mileage.
It sounds like your cable has simply snapped on the drivers side and one wheel couldnt hold the pressure.
When i park anywhere i always leave the car in gear regardless how good my break is.
I know you said the car is new but it sounds like it may have been in storage before you got it as this is a more common fault than you might think.
If it was stored with the hbrake on all the time it starts to bind and strain and eventually snap.

I dont think you will have a leg to stand on if the woman claims your insurance mate.
Your car hit hers, there isnt much gray area there.

I would go back to the dealer though as its a new car and that should not happen.

That does not sound good mate.
Usually its first service is in 12000 miles or a year, whichever comes first.
However its handbrake should not fail at such a low mileage.
It sounds like your cable has simply snapped on the drivers side and one wheel couldnt hold the pressure.

I dont think you will have a leg to stand on if the woman claims your insurance mate.
Your car hit hers, there isnt much gray area there.

I would go back to the dealer though as its a new car and that should not happen.

Could that be why I hear the creaking?

Also as her car was already damaged and by mine rolling 2-3 feet down into hers could not have done that much damage is it still my fault and I have to pay for it?

I'm gonna book in with Vauxhall and get them to check it for me, the break works fine now. I pulled it on and got out and pushed but it wouldn't budge. Also gonna check if works CCTV has it recorded.

That should not happen to such a new car,if the car you hit was damaged before your car hit it and the person admitted it you may well be ok.

only reason i can think of why the handbrake failed is the cable could of been kinked or seized and when you pulled the handbrake tension went on the cable but did not move the brake pistons.

Servicing intervals | Servicing & Repairs | Servicing & Finance | Vauxhall Motors UK

The brakes have self adjusters on them to stop this sort of thing but i have never seen them work properly "ever".
I would take the car to an independent garage that does mots and get them to put the car on a rolling road which tests brakes.
It gives you a digital read out of its performance and consistency and may reveal a problem.
They would do that for a small fee.
With regard to the other cars damage it would be hard to prove you didnt damage her car as your car hit hers.
Tbh im not sure how your insurance company will see that one but i imagine they will fight it.

There was something on watchdog about vauxhall handrakes a while back. Something to do with them jumping off due to a fault in the ratchet - pawl mechanism. ( Although im sure vauxhall denied the problem) Maybe some of the garage techies on here might know a bit more. Also read your hand book to make sure you are applying the hand brake the way they recomend.

Here is a link http://www.cararticles.co.uk/uk-vauxhall-handbrake-problem-part-2.html/comment-page-1/ also google "watchdog vauxhall handrake" lots about it m8

Last edited:
It is possible the handbrake has slipped back a tooth on the ratchet. This can happen if the ratchet or pawl are worn possibly due to poor manufacture or if the pawl wasn't fully engaged. I dont know if Vauxhall have any issues with their handbrakes but other manufacturers have in the past.

thebigman

car should be under warranty m8, they should sort out any repair in regards to the handbrake for free...

Reading these articles it makes me feel a lot better knowing it's not my fault. Although by the sounds of it Vauxhall would tend not to agree.

I just got home from shopping and put the handbrake on and went around the back to push the car. Low and behold it moved!!

What a load of crap, it works sometimes and other times it doesn't could something be sticking?

Anyway I'll have to explain to my boss at work as it's a company car and book it in with Vauxhall for an inspection.

there is no way the handbrake should fail at this time, i would take it back to the dealer and get them to check the handbrake shoes or the handbrake cable which is probably the main cause of the crash, however be nice and explain the situation to the person the car bumoed into and if there is not much damage they might let you off. however if she does get a little funny say and wants to go through insuarnce just say she hit your car, and becuase the damage is on the back you will win the case....

this is not uncommon m8 . the vauxhall rear disc brakes have a problem , the wifes is the same and l leave it in 2nd gear on the drive and l have read lots of things about these , if u look on some gm sites its common ,, there crap simple as . there fine pointing down hill lol but crap pointing down hill in reverse

Im no mechanic here but on watchdog they did test the handbreak on the vauxhal and they found that when you press the button to engage it it doesnt quite catch the tooth and slips .. they did say to be sure when engaging dont press the button and let it crunch then you will know its in..

I took interest in this story as i had the new astra at the time.. since binned it off as theyre cheaply made..

Just got back from the garage.

"Excessive slack on the cable (over 7 notches to catch)"

They tightened it up and now 2 clicks is all it takes and I can feel it getting tighter.

At least now I have proof it was not my fault and the car was to blame, however I'm sure the insurance company will disagree, at least it's company insurance.

Back