new build help

madnlooney

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
well i think its time i go and build myself a new pc as the one i have is giving me a pain in the ass lol any comments on this spec?

CPU - Q6600 with Akasa AK-965 Intel 92mm Heatpipe Cooler - 775
HDD - 1T samsung spinpoint 7200RPM 32MB
mobo - ASUS P5N-E SLi NF650i
RAM - OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 Platinum Vista (2x2GB)
GFX - Novatech GeForce 9600GT SLI 512MB GDDR3

Just need to pick out a PSU and Case really.

Any views on this spec at all?

What do you intend doing with it?

If you intend it as primarily a gaming rig you'll get better performance from an E8400/8500 for about the same price. If video editing/encoding stick with the Q6600.

With 4Gb RAM definately go for a 64 bit OS. 32bit flavours XP/Vista/Linux will only see 3.5Gb at most. This is because 32bit operating systems can only access 4Gb of address space and everything else takes priority over the system memory, including the GFx (4096Mb - 512Mb = 3584Mb or 3.5Gb).

BTW OCZ isn't on Asus' Qualified Vendors List (QVL), which just means that Asus haven't tested that RAM in the board. Whilst it should all work fine, do a quick google to see anyone else has that RAM and board paired.

As for PSU, go for 'branded' one. Corsair, Enermax, OCZ all good brands...

Thanks for info, with PSU was looking at OCZ 600W GameXStream SLI Ready PSU.
I think it will be split with gaming and video encoding which was the choise for Q6600.

600W is more than enough for a Q6600 + 9600GT system.

If you've got a HDTV have a look for the LG bluray/hddvd + DVD+/-RW combo too esp if that GFx card has HDMI as the mobo has SPDIF out.

You might want to consider throwing in a 'small' (<160Gb) drive just for the OS and programs. Leaving the 1Tb for documents, downloads, video, page file etc.

yeah was gonna maybe give a 150 partision for OS and maybe getting another GFX to run SLI. i have 2 pata hdd's so more than lightly use 1 of them

Back