New 2022 highway code rules

The £1000 fine is for carelessly opening your car door, not for using "the wrong hand to open it"

"Many Highway Code entries including the incoming addition are not legally enforcable – but endangering people or causing injury by opening a door into a road is punishable by law with fines of up to £1,000."

A much better idea would be to make sure that anyone using a bike in a public place, other than in a park, had to have a licence and insurance and some easily recognisable registeration so that when the cause an accident or damage someone's property or injur or kill someone, they can easily be traced and made to pay compenation and a fine and possibly a prison sentence. This will simply encourage more of them to break the road traffic laws even more regularly than many do at the moment.

Incidentally when did they change the law that said a cyclist must have an audible warning device and lights front and rear when cycling at night as I used to regularly have bikes coming up behind me wthout warning, until they had almost run into me or my dog when walking my dog on the canal towpath, they used to shout at the last minute whereas the traditional old bell or a bulb horn would have been used when I was cycling man years ago. Lots of bikes don't seem to have lights on when it's dark these days and with long lasting LED lights the batteries last so long that there is no legitimate excuse not to have them fitted and switched on.

I can just visualise my 4 year old grandson showing up to take his test for a licence. Would he get a reduction for using stabilisers? Imagine what the insurance premiums would be 😂

I can just visualise my 4 year old grandson showing up to take his test for a licence. Would he get a reduction for using stabilisers? Imagine what the insurance premiums would be 😂
Surely his parents wouldn't let him out on a public road on pavement at 4 years old would they as I said "anyone using a bike in a public place, other than in a park, had to have a licence and insurance and some easily recognisable registeration" but if they did let him go out alone on public roads then they should have to have compulsory public liabilty insurance to cover any damage he did.

We spend millions upon millions on cycle lanes only to watch them turn into parking for that 3rd car.
I've rode a bike to work in the past and drove for as long as I can remember so I see both sides of the argument. Both parties must burden some of the blame for the death figures sky rocketing.

Some cyclist couldn't ride a 3 wheeler sneaking and weaving through traffic ignoring lights and signs, no lights no signals.
Then some drivers just hate cyclist full stop holding them up, riding 2 abreast. Personally I think Britain's rodes are not cycling friendly. Too narrow, too much traffic, lots of 2 lane roads having cars parked all along forcing cyclist to ride in the middle of the road.
@Sandra51 towpaths are for everyone. When I use to take mine out on their bikes when they were young on the canal paths some dog owners think they own it leaving their dogs sh#t everywhere off leads and the odd few snapping at you.

And those dog leads 20m long? making you wait till their dogs had a sniff.

Roads are both and both sides need educating. I see Chris Boardman is trying to get more people cycling but how can you when cycling deaths are soaring and even his mum was killed while cycling.

I'm not sure of the highway code changes whether people will take notice I don't think it will a flyer of a difference.

Cyclist be more careful and read the signs,
Drivers, be aware of cyclist

It's all about give and take

I think you have had to have rode a bike on the roads and drove a car to appreciate both sides of the story.

I always use my mirrors when cyclist or motorbikes are near and when leaving the car.
I've seen aggressive cyclist who think they own the road then I've seen cars overtaking bikes when there's not enough room because their sick of waiting.

It's all about give and take on the roads but like I said before Britain's roads are not cycle friendly

Surely his parents wouldn't let him out on a public road on pavement at 4 years old would they as I said "anyone using a bike in a public place, other than in a park, had to have a licence and insurance and some easily recognisable registeration" but if they did let him go out alone on public roads then they should have to have compulsory public liabilty insurance to cover any damage he did.
I suppose they would just teleport his bike to the local park 😂
Licences and insurance for pushbikes, LMFAO

The message is simple. TAKE CARE. Your suggestion to change the rules so you needn't take care is nonsensical.

I'm not sure what or if schools do it but we should bring in a compulsory cycling provisional education a few times a year just so they have the basics.
Some kids get bikes af Christmas and have no insight into the rules of the road and off they go straight onto the road.

Saying that some adults don't have a clue cycling and driving I noticed that some older people driving don't have the awareness and reaction time and can be totally unaware of your presence on a bike.
I personally think that once drivers hit 60 they should have to take an awareness, reaction time hearing and eyesight test every 5 years something similar to heavy goods have the endure.
I was behind one bloke the other day, he was like Mr Maggoo totally oblivious of everything around him and wandering curb to white line. I had to pip see if to he was breathing

No @chookey your Grandson will have 4 wheels then. It will then be classed as a 4x4. It will cost a fortune.😳😳😳😳😉

I have cycled and drove so understand both sides of the argument. You will always get people that flout the rules and do daft shite while in charge of vehicle or cycle. All I know is that I try to be careful when cyclists and motorcycles are near me.
The worst RTC I have been involved in was when a transgender man with mental health issues drove head on into me and my daughter and killed himself. The crash investigator told me at the inquest that if I had not been driving a new modern car we may of died.
It has made me very wary and It will live with me for rest of my life.

Last edited:
Back