Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Never A Time To Buy

Infiltrator

Inactive User
I was thinking of upgrading my Panasonic Viera although what with the release of the 4K televisions it doesn't seem to be a good idea. It's claimed they're twice the resolution of 1080 and as always Sky will be keen to exploit this technology by charging more the ultra HD transmissions.

The 4K are incredibly expensive, although I'm speculating that in a year or two they'll be half the price and more affordable.

I'm now of the opinion to just buy the best I can afford at the time and not to be too concerned about future developments. As you say, there's always something newer and better on the horizon, so if you keep waiting you'll never upgrade at

Sometimes when a new technology is launched, it's a great time to buy, as prices can fall on the older stuff which, in reality is still perfectly good. After all, it was the best of the best right up until the newer stuff came along. And this is the perfect example. 4K isn't going to provide much visible benefit unless you are going for a HUGE screen. Even 'normal' HD is barely distinguishable from SD on screens 40" or below, so get a decent set now at a sensible price, and think again in 5 years time when 4K is 'old'.

Exactly what @trevortron said, wait a little bit when they really start promoting the 4k stuff.

Then get yourself a decent samsung smart tv for half the price :)

I still have a pioneer plasma that I bought 7 years ago or something like that... cracking picture (1080i) and cost me £2500 at the time lol.

I am waiting for the same thing then will get myself a nice samsung led smart tv, seen some lovely ones :)

Mick

Last edited:
Sometimes when a new technology is launched, it's a great time to buy, as prices can fall on the older stuff which, in reality is still perfectly good. After all, it was the best of the best right up until the newer stuff came along. And this is the perfect example. 4K isn't going to provide much visible benefit unless you are going for a HUGE screen. Even 'normal' HD is barely distinguishable from SD on screens 40" or below, so get a decent set now at a sensible price, and think again in 5 years time when 4K is 'old'.

True. The trouble with technology is that it's almost superseded as soon as it's released by a superior product that's in the final stages of development. There's no doubt that 4K will be the bee's when it becomes affordable to the mass market. It's hard to believe that when Peter Jackson shot the Hobbit at 48FPS people complained about it being too realistic.

There will be loads of 4K next year. Youtube already broadcast it, as do netflix. Sky have had successful test transmission results (4k world cup?) and there will be others soon enough. I believe Sony alone has no less than 15 4K sets in the UK range next year starting with a 39" version that will retail at £1500.

Back