networking

R

Revs12

im trying to network my xbox to pc by using a network going from my network card to my xbox but all i get on the xbox is ip 0.0.0.0 any 1 got any ideas,ive tried using a normal network cable i get the lights on the back of the xbox to come on but no ip,and when i try the crossover cable no lights come on the back,plz help

Definitions

Network Uplink: This is the broadband port that connects to the Internet. Typically this will be on your cable modem or ADSL router.
Network Card: This is a 10 or 100BaseT network connection (either a PCI card or a USB box).
Hub: A hub allows multiple machines to be on the same network as each other.
Switch: A switch is similar to a hub, but is smarter about routing traffic between machines on the network.
NAT Router: Also known as "broadband gateways" or "Cable/DSL routers" these devices allow you to share a single broadband IP address with multiple machines. You may already have one of these if you have multiple computers at home on your broadband connection.
Firewall: This device blocks most network traffic to your machine. Some NAT Switches have a built-in firewall, and software firewalls such as "Zone Alarm" are also popular. You may need to disable your firewall to use the GameSpy Tunnel.
Network Cable: This is a regular RJ45 network cable

Configuration

Hub/Switch Direct to Internet
This is a common configuration if you have a single machine and want to put your Xbox on the same network. If your current Internet connection goes directly from the Network uplink into your network card, this will be the easiest configuration to set up. Just plug the Network Uplink into the Uplink port on the hub, and plug your computer and console into the hub. No networking changes are needed. 4 or 5 port hubs can be purchased for $30-$50.

NAT (DSL/Cable Router)
If you are already sharing your network connection with multiple computers, or plan to in the future, you may need a NAT if you do not have enough IP addresses from your ISP for each computer. You can simply plug your Xbox into the NAT router and it will be on the same network as your computer. No additional configuration is needed. Note that you may need to open (forward) ports on your NAT as outlined above.

Two PC Network Cards
If you do not want to use a hub, you can choose to use two network cards in the same machine. One network card will connect to your Internet connection. The second (console-connected) network card will need to be configured with TCP/IP enabled. You can use an IP address of "192.168.0.1" on it, a Subnet Mask of "255.255.255.0" and leave the gateway and other settings blank. Make sure you configure the GameSpy Tunnel application with the network card that is connected to the Xbox when asked to select one.

NAT + Hub/Switch
If your NAT (Cable/DSL Router) does not have enough ports on it, you may need to plug a hub or switch into it, and then plug your computer and Xbox into the hub. When connecting the NAT to the Hub, you should use the uplink port on one of the devices (but not both).

USB Cable Modem
If you have a cable modem that connects directly to your machine via USB, then you will need a second network card to connect to the game console. See the section above on Two PC Network Cards for more info. Note that if you have a USB Ethernet adapter for use with your Cable/DSL Uplink you can use any of the other configurations since a USB Ethernet adapter is basically just a type network card. An additional card is ONLY needed if your Cable Modem connects directly to your machine via USB (no network cable).

Xbox Network Connection using Hub

This is the most common network configuration and is also the easiest to setup.
Step #1: Plug your network cable(RJ-45 cable) that comes from your cable/DSL modem into the uplink port of your hub. (Make sure that your uplink is switched to "on"). If you don?t have a cable/DSL modem, that's fine. Just proceed to step #2, and disregard step #1.
Step #2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from one of the ports of the hub, directly to the Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in your computer.
Step #3: Take another RJ-45 cable and run it from a different port of your hub directly to your xbox.

**NOTE** A switch may be used in place of a hub with the same basic setup.**

That's it! No other network changes should be needed for this configuration. Your Xbox is now on the same network as your PC. If you have EvolutionX up and running, then you should be able to FTP into your Xbox from your PC by putting in the ip address of your Xbox on the network. To get the ip address, select ?configure IP? from the EvolutionX dashboard, and this will give you the IP address that you need to put into your FTP program (such as FlashFXP).

Xbox Network Connection using Router

This is another common network configuration. This is the network configuration that I personally use because I have a wireless network in my house. I use a Netgear MR314 router.
Step #1: Plug your network cable(RJ-45 cable) that comes from your cable or DSL modem into the WAN port of your router. Again, if you don?t have a cable or DSL modem, it?s okay. Just leave the WAN (or uplink) port on your router empty.
Step #2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from one of the ports of the router, directly to the Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in your computer.
Step #3: Take another RJ-45 cable and run it from a different port of your router directly to your xbox.

**NOTE** In steps #2 and #3, you should not use a port that is directly beside the "uplink" port on your router, if your uplink port is being used to connect to another routing device.** If your router has a built in firewall, you will need to forward ports 8602 both incoming and outgoing to the internal ip address of your pc. Consult your device manaul for port forwarding.

That's it! Your Xbox is now on the same network as your PC. Just power up your Xbox with your EvolutionX disc, and choose "configure IP". This will give you the IP address than you need to put into your FTP program in order to connect to your Xbox.

Xbox Network Connection using Crossover Cable

This is the last network configuration. For this setup you need at least one NIC card.
Step #1: Plug your USB cable that comes from your modem into your PC's USB port. This should already be done, if you have a usb modem for your current internet connection.
Step #2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from an installed NIC card on your PC, directly to the Xbox.

**NOTE** A crossover cable is only needed if you are connecting the Xbox directly to the second NIC card. If you have a device such as a switch, hub or router in between you should use a standard RJ-45 cable. This type of network setup also requires "Winroute©", a program downloadable from the world wide web. Consult the manual for specific instructions on how to set this up. Also if you have a USB ethernet adapter, you may use any of the setups described herein. USB ethernet adapter basically converts a USB cable into an RJ-45 cable.

That's it! Your Xbox is now on the same network as your PC.

To connect via FTP, Once you have the IP address of the Xbox on the local network, just FTP. By default, the Xbox username and password are both "xbox". Now that you are connected via FTP to the Xbox, you can install the evolutionX dashboard directly onto your xbox hard drive, so you won?t have to use the EvolutionX cd when you boot up. Don?t forget to backup the data on your Xbox hard drive first. See my tutorial on installing Evolution X for more information and specifics on this process.

have you not got to have a program to run it

shaun try here m8 might be useful m8

h**p://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php

Revs, the cable I sent is a crossover, in case you wondered :).

How many network cards do you have in your PC?...and how do you connect to cable internet usb or network card?

lo its revs,ive connect my modem by usb and ive got 1 network card,ive got a network cable going from my network card to my xbox.

The reason I ask, is that if you only have one network card (nic) and its the one you use for your cable connection.
Its configured to automatically assign an IP. So its properties are set at 0.0.0.0 and the xbox cant set up with it.

If thats the case. You'd probs be better with router/switch, or just another network card (nic) added.

The litle feckers gone back home D<> he was round here slummin it using my Leccy lol

He says he will reply once he gets home an says thanks fer the help :)

lmfao just get the skirting board ladder out an do some decoratin lol :) ;)

Well thats me taller than you then, you feckin midget rofl

I'm 5' 8'' and a byte lol

Wanna buy a ladder?? :Hit:

hahahahaha I got sucked into that one didnt I lmfao

feck me never show all yer cards on Digi lol

Fook me I take it all back WE are Giants lol

Back