network connection

allanj

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi
I need some help but not sure if this is the right place,anyway I'm not looking for free broadband but to use mine on another computer. I have recently been given a VM/Ambit 256 modem wich is the same as the box that I use. I thought that I could maybe use it on my grandsons PC upstairs. I used a splitter and ran a cable up to his PC and connected it up but it did'nt work. I tried my modem and it worked fine. I also tried my daughters modem(she lives several miles away) and that also worked. The person who gave me the modem said that it worked OK for him.
Can anyone tell me if I can get this working and what is needed or will I have to set up a network using a router?
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers

Wouldn't we all like free broadband lol, there's certain things that need done to these modems before they can do what you want them to do, if you get my drift.
icon12.gif

best getting the geezer that gave you it to show you mate.

:Cheers:

I said I am not after free broadband just an extention of my 10 gig to my grandsons PC

yep HibbyDave is right you will need a wireless router and a wireless card for you sons pc if you do not have one in it

OK guys thank's I'll look into it.
Cheers:Cheers:

You've confused me now. What are homeplugs?

Just checked out that homeplug site. Great reviews. Thank's for info. I may just try them.

Hi
I need some help but not sure if this is the right place,anyway I'm not looking for free broadband but to use mine on another computer. I have recently been given a VM/Ambit 256 modem wich is the same as the box that I use. I thought that I could maybe use it on my grandsons PC upstairs. I used a splitter and ran a cable up to his PC and connected it up but it did'nt work. I tried my modem and it worked fine. I also tried my daughters modem(she lives several miles away) and that also worked. The person who gave me the modem said that it worked OK for him.
Can anyone tell me if I can get this working and what is needed or will I have to set up a network using a router?
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers

just get a crossover Ethernet cable mate you plug one end in the back of the router then plug the other end in the back of the pc..the only problem is that u will need to put it through your ceiling to reach the other room

If your going down that route m8 it would be a straight through cable u would need :err:

Back