Need specific soundcard setup - is this possible?

TheWakeUpCall

Inactive User
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a card where I can set it up like this:

It needs to have two separate stereo output channels and two inputs. One input needs to be mono (mic) and the other line in (stereo).

The card must be able to record on the line in whilst the microphone is playing out loud into the main output channel.

Is this possible to do? The cheaper the card the better.

Thanks.

Well the guy above seems to know as he has done it, lol.

But I asked about myself and here is what someone told me:

Your standard card will probably do this with a few cheap external components. First of all lets look at your output requirements. You want two stereo outputs. Take your single line-out (stereo) from a standard audio card and split this into two stereo cables. Assuming you have a regular audio card with 3.5mm jack sockets then you want something like this from Maplin, product number FP34M, cost £1.89:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Modu...

Now for your inputs. You want to listen to the microphone and record a line-in source. If I understand this correctly then there is no requirement for the microphone to connect to the PC. Just connect your microphone to a normal amplifier/speaker and use the sound card's stereo line-in socket to record.

Does that do what you want? Good luck.

(Personally I know naff all about sound cards myself).

No I can't use a splitter on my output, since they will be on separate channels, as in they will be playing different things.

As for the mic that is going straight to a mixer, at which point it will go back to the line in on the computer to record.

As for a second soundcard, that sounds like a good route, as long as the computer doesn't get confused.

Timekeeper, will I have any problems running two creative soundcards side by side? Do you know at all?

The computer i use is an old p3 setup , soundcard one is the onboar sound , and 2nd is creative , running no probs .
I had read before i done that , that you can have issues depending on the cards used .

The computer i use is an old p3 setup , soundcard one is the onboar sound , and 2nd is creative , running no probs .
I had read before i done that , that you can have issues depending on the cards used .

So i can run onboard and soundcard at same time? When i installed my soundcard it uninstalled my onboard. How do I get it back?

You will need to resolve any device conflicts by checking/modifying I/O ports, interrupts and DMA's.

Remember also that most soundcards contain multiple devices (Midi/Wave etc) so you will need to check all devices on each card for conflicts.

So i can run onboard and soundcard at same time? When i installed my soundcard it uninstalled my onboard. How do I get it back?

Like I said , I had read before I attempted that there maybe conflicts between both soundcards , but all I done was to turn the onboard soundcard on in the bios and install the creative , everything worked fine .

I have 3 sound cards running on my PC and it works fine with no need to edit any settings. One is the onboard sound card, one is a EMU 1212m PCI card and I also have a 10 channel M-Audio NRV10 mixer which is connect via firewire.
My computer is running XP and it'snever had any issues running all three.
Chances are your onboard sound card will work with a Realtek AC'97 driver, but thats a just a guess.

What is it you are actually trying to achieve? ie. Have two seperate tracks playing in a DJ/Mixing fashion and then recording an MC over the two?

This might make it easier to trubleshoot.

Last edited:
What is it you are actually trying to achieve? ie. Have two seperate tracks playing in a DJ/Mixing fashion and then recording an MC over the two?
This might make it easier to trubleshoot.
Basically yes, apart from it is for online radio, and I will be talking over it. But the same setup yes.
All I need to know now then is how to setup the onboard sound.
This is my motherboard:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4I65G
Says my onboard sound is Cmedia 9761A 5.1 channel audio CODEC
If I just install the driver for that, then should I be able to use both of them?

EDIT: tried to use the drivers from the ASrock site from the link I just gave, says that I don't have the audio chip and so the drivers can't be install. Same for the drivers from the cmedia site.

Last edited:
ok nevermind it's all setup now.

Thank you all for all your help :) After I finish writing this I will give you all rep points. You have been very helpful.

I managed to setup my onboard sound alongside my soundcard. Beautiful. Thanks.

Help!

Help! I have another problem, this time pretty serious.

I have my sound set up as like in this diagram:
www.gzoneunderground.com/soundcard.jpg

It all works ok, until i start to record from the onboard soundcard, at which point anything playing from the audigy just stops or breaks and makes random noises.
In an ideal world I suppose I would run the broadcasting from another machine, but It would be so much better to be able to record on the onboard soundcard while playing from the audigy.

If nothing is possible, would a quick fix be to use a second PCI soundcard instead of onboard? I have some old ones lying around, but it is a big effort to put them in and then find the right drivers for them (since I have no idea what they are), just to find out it doesn't make any difference.

Last edited:
Back