Need help with wiring of new room stat please

I agree with Miggy on this one, especially as 2 different answers have been put forward. Working with AC is not for the inexperienced.
I have in the past helped many on this forum with electronic repairs but after a while stopped offering advice on power supply faults, due to the dangers that could be faced.
I have received flak in the past for suggesting that members should take their tv to a repair shop for certain faults, again, anything involving the power supply.
It is obvious that many of these members seeking this type of help haven't the slightest clue what they are doing. Those of us who are responsible tradesman should not offer help where it may put the enquirer at risk.
Low voltage boards are a different story but full mains potential can kill.

I agree with Miggy on this one, especially as 2 different answers have been put forward. Working with AC is not for the inexperienced.
I have in the past helped many on this forum with electronic repairs but after a while stopped offering advice on power supply faults, due to the dangers that could be faced.
I have received flak in the past for suggesting that members should take their tv to a repair shop for certain faults, again, anything involving the power supply.
It is obvious that many of these members seeking this type of help haven't the slightest clue what they are doing. Those of us who are responsible tradesman should not offer help where it may put the enquirer at risk.
Low voltage boards are a different story but full mains potential can kill.

Exactly my point chookey I was only giving my opinion. Electricity is highly dangerous if you lack the knowledge.Gas is just the same. I am not stirring up trouble danforth and wiz I was just trying talk common sense. I sincerely hope the OP has managed to solve this problem now without any problems.

Exactly my point chookey I was only giving my opinion. Electricity is highly dangerous if you lack the knowledge.Gas is just the same. I am not stirring up trouble danforth and wiz I was just trying talk common sense. I sincerely hope the OP has managed to solve this problem now without any problems.

Nobody said you were miggy,but have you never,ever done work that your not qualified to do?

Changed a plug,fixed a leaking tap etc etc,

When we give help or advice on here,we make an assumption that the person looking for advice has a little something upstairs, otherwise we may as well not bother giving said advice mate :)

Nobody said you were miggy,but have you never,ever done work that your not qualified to do?

Changed a plug,fixed a leaking tap etc etc,

When we give help or advice on here,we make an assumption that the person looking for advice has a little something upstairs, otherwise we may as well not bother giving said advice mate :)
Of course I have changed plugs, tap washers and plumbing don't be ridiculous wiz. You and I both know you don't piss about with electric or gas if you are unsure just for the sake of saving a couple of quid. It's dangerous and you know it.

Peace ! I wasn't referring to you, the culprits know who they are. :)

Of course I have changed plugs, tap washers and plumbing don't be ridiculous wiz. You and I both know you don't piss about with electric or gas if you are unsure just for the sake of saving a couple of quid. It's dangerous and you know it.

Exactly mate, so how do we know that the OP is leaving the leccy live while he works on this?

At least that's the only way that any harm will come to him,after that the only thing that will happen is the fuse will blow or the switch will trip :)

Exactly mate, so how do we know that the OP is leaving the leccy live while he works on this?

At least that's the only way that any harm will come to him,after that the only thing that will happen is the fuse will blow or the switch will trip :)
wiz I was only thinking of the safety issue, surely a members safety must come high on the priority list on this forum?. True if he turns the mains off he is safe and if he puts this method in to practice all will be well, however guessing where wires go is not an option. Electricians do not work this way they would know where the wires go. 5 mins and the job is done and everyone is a Happy Easter Bunny. :)

wiz I was only thinking of the safety issue, surely a members safety must come high on the priority list on this forum?. True if he turns the mains off he is safe and if he puts this method in to practice all will be well, however guessing where wires go is not an option. Electricians do not work this way they would know where the wires go. 5 mins and the job is done and everyone is a Happy Easter Bunny. :)

We could go round in circles mate but my first priority when doing work is my safety,and wrongly or rightly I presume his safety is his, its after this presumption I begin to give advice :)

Disclaimer: if you don't know how to make any appliance safe before working on it,then don't work on it.

Still say trust the fuse, thats what they are there for..

bet he's bloody freezing now his mate, seeing his room stat is probably still in its box.

No one is guessing here, we simply have two opinions, either of which could be right, depending on the stat.
HH suggested a simple way to determine which is right. A professional who is not sure would do the same thing.
Even experienced professionals aren't sure of everything, which is why they look away momentarily when they
insert a fuse, or restore a breaker, after re- wiring etc.
I agree with your concern for safety, but guessing is going a bit far.

Well, where to start? First, I agree with posters urging caution - always wise. Having done this sort of stuff for decades it's easy to become a little complacent.

Even a qualified sparky will have to trace stuff out to find out how it's installed - there is NO automatic, that's why I said 'standard or normal'. If the OP is not happy tracing out or doesn't have the test kit/experience to do this then it wouldn't cost a lot to get sparky in to sort it.

There's a danger we try to be too helpful and assume a level of experience/skill we shouldn't. I'm going to take a step back and say get sparky in M8.

Back