Need help with jtagging a Zephyr

mikeeee321

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, everybody
I'm looking for help/suggestions with a zephyr 360 im having trouble jtagging. For starters I know that this version of the zephyr's cb is exploitable. I've done multiple nand reads with no errors and the comparisons were exact. So I went ahead and injected the kv and config files into the zephyr's xbr flashed that. And thought I was done, hooked the 360 up and got a single red light.. error 79 which I know is usually related to the jtag wiring. So i checked and rechecked and even soldered again still had the error. So to make sure there wasn't any write errors I read the nand and compared it with the xbr I created.. Still had an error. I've read that some people needed to use a resister instead of a single wire between pins 7 and 3(i believe are the pins) and still had an error. I've also read that people had luck flashing a falcon xbr to the zephyr, tried that and same error 79. I'm running out of ideas...I've done 4 falcons and 3 xenons with no problems so I don't believe its my wiring. Any suggestions would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks much. Do you think that not including that will eliminate the error? If so why would that cause the problem? I'm more curious than anything

Zephyrs have a problem with XBR, i have a Zephyr and get random E79s all the time. Nothing to do with wiring, hopefully it will be fixed in a newer version of XBR.

I tried just flashing xbr with the kv and still get an error. Ya I heard about the zephyers getting random error 79's but my problem is that its never started up, always gives me the error. :( Have you heard any information about work being being done on a new xbr for zephyr in the future? Luckily I have another jtaged system I can play around with :)

If you write your original dump of your nand back does the error disappear?

Thanks much. Do you think that not including that will eliminate the error? If so why would that cause the problem? I'm more curious than anything

it's so you make as little changes as possible to xbr to try to see if its all going wrong when you injecting into the nand . you must reflash original nand back test if ok start looking for bad blocks that will need remapping. Can you get into xell ?

Last edited:
Did you try just flashing Xell?

If none of the above work, go back to original nand, then to xell and if that works progress to xbr with just the kv.

Jama

Thanks for all the suggestions. No I haven't installed just xell. I read the nand a few time to make sure they matched, without bad blocks then went ahead with the flashing of xbr. I think I'll try to reflash with my original nand and see if that boots. If it does boot than theres def a problem with my jtag wiring because I believe that you shouldn't be able to boot the original nand with the jtag wiring in. If I still get an error I'll remove the jtag wires to make sure it'll boot. Then I'll try to just flash xell and go from there. Thanks so much for the replies. I'll let you know how I luck out

original firmware will boot with j-tag wire's installed its xbr which will not boot without j-tag wire's this one should be on Mythbusters.

Last edited:
I took out the jtag wires flashed original nand. It booted no problem. Wrote xell only. Read that and compared with my original nand with xell injected and that matched. Installed jtag wires turned it on and red light! uughh. I get either 1 red light with 1033 secondary code or three red lights with 0020 secondary code. It must be something with my jtag wires. I tried using a resistor instead of a single jumper wire. And switched between the top and botom for the diode connections. Not sure what else to try..

If you can post up a photo of your jtag wiring.
I helped a local guy who was having the exact issue you have and he did his jtag wires 'right' 3 times.
I took a look and he had the diodes backwards and the wires reversed.
Not implying anything, it just could be a nice simple fix.

Jama

100_1143.jpg

100_1148.jpg

Here are the photos of where i soldered the diodes to the mobo. Hope they are clear enough.

They look ok, possibly cold solder.
Can you get one where the solder to on the other end?

Jama

hi i had same problem found it was the swiching diods mate or try puting a donor kv from a nouther xbox thats how i got mine working or falcon xbr

Thanks so much for everyones help. The box took a serious turn for the worse. I switched all the jtag wires to the underside of the board and tried to solder to one of the traces(had an issue with error 79 but fixed when soldering to a trace) Well after I did that the xbox won't even power up. It rrod's with a secondary error of 0001. It appears its a short somewhere.

I was wondering about jasper boards. I might have access to a few but am still using the lpt cables. It takes about 37 minutes to read and write a 16mb nand. Is it going to take much longer reading and writing a jasper's which would be either 256 or 512?

thanks

hi mate have tryed shorting the chip and then erasing it i had this wood not power ar show on the lpt pory so i shorted the legs on the chip and reflash that got it booting agin

Back