need help with alarm on astra

dilly1066

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hiya, i have a astra sri 1.8 2003 and last night about half 10 the alarm kept going off, it was doing it all night, the stupid thing was we thought it was the house across the street lol, then this morning found out it was my car, so had quick look today but nothing happened, no problem what so ever with it, then about 15 minutes ago the bloody alarm starts going off again, its stupid, it if goes off if the car is unlocked, ive done abit of reading up on it and looks like its got its own battery so im not sure if disconnecting the car battery will stop it, i know i need a more perminent solution but for tonight i just need to know how i can stop, neighbours going to go mad lol, which you cant blame them really if its going off all night again, help help will be much appreciated, thanks

not my info just something i find

Here's the choices of how you fix it. [As well as an Astra I too have a Zafira Elegance 2000 - just done the batteries on that one, too.]

“I have now investigated how to cure those annoying four bleeps you get from your mk4 Astra.

It is caused by the rechargeable batteries in your power sounder going faulty. They seem to last 5 years or so.

1.Purchase a new pair from Cell Pack Solutions, on 0191 427 4577, for £11.04. The part number is N3H170 and you need two of them. They are now NiMh rather than NiCd.

2.Jack up the car, remove the plastic liner above the front passenger wheel Astra [drivers side Zafira] (by pressing the centre of the round clips) and fold it back. Unscrew the two bolts of the bracket holding the sounder (Torx 20) and unplug the multiplug. The sounder may well make a horrendous noise, so be prepared and wear ear-defenders! Rescue the centre of the clips when they fall on the floor, or be prepared and get a new pack from VX. Or find something similar (plastic cotton buds may work, not tried)

3.Remove the sounder from the bracket, and in the workshop slit the sounder case with a sharp knife around the obvious join in the two halves. When you have gone all the way around you will be able to pull the two halves apart. Or use a hacksaw with care…

4.You will see the batteries in the case. Replace them, observing the polarity marked on the case itself. Check the contacts are clean, especially if the batteries have started leaking.

5.Reseal the case using a good glue or hot-glue gun. Make it watertight!

6.Reinstall in the wheelarch. It will make a loud sound for a couple of seconds, again the ear-defenders are a good idea. Replace the liner. I did not have to get my alarm reset by Vauxhall, which is what I have read elsewhere. If you buy a new one, you will have to get it set by VX.

7. Test by leaving the bonnet open and holding down the bonnet switch with something heavy. Set the alarm and leave it for a minute or two. Operate the bonnet switch and you should hear both horn and sounder making a noise.

Hope this is helpful

Have you been through any puddles? is it a factory fitted alarm? the little black box type if it is there should be a fuse running to it pop the fuse out and that should stop it going off. These alarms get wet easy and it will trigger false alarms. In daylight check the bonnet plunger switch for corrosion, check door switches make sure they push in and out easy and last check the boot/tailgate switch for corrosion. good luck with it.

sounds like your alarm is running on its backup batterys not the cars battery

hiya thanks for the suggestions, easiest one would be to locate the fuse, has it got to have a fuse ? dont really fancy taking all the wheel etc off in the pitch black but if i have to then i have to, il have another look now see what i can do, its driving me mad so god knows what the neighbours are thinking, they must want to kill me lol, thanks

theres one here inside the car

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 15
Remember this is only a temporary fix get that left wheel arch liner of tomorrow and get them batteries changed a bit messy splitting that box. make sure its water tight when you put it back.Put loads of silicone round it. :)

hiya, thanks everyone, looks like im sorted for tonight anyway, il get to work on it straight away tommorrow, take everything off and see whats what, thanks again

This might be dependent on the age of the car but it worked for me...

...get out leaving the engine running and the drivers side window open, close the door, reach in and turn off the engine taking the key, lock the car holding the key in the lock position until the window closes. It's now locked with the alarm off :)

hiya, bit of a update ive got to the power sounder but now im abit unsure how to go about it all, some people are saying just unplug it it will be fine, others are saying you need to leave the ignition turned on while you unplug it so it doesnt need recoding, but apparantly the power sounder can be a bugger to get into ,plus then i have to find the batteries which apparantly theres 2 or 3 types, so surely i cant be expected to leave the ignition turned on all that time, i have looked for some of the batteries that people have suggested and there abit of a pain to get hold of, so i wont be able to get them locally, so whats best bet only way i can really see is take the risk of unplugging it and il have to leave it off until my new batteries arrive and then plug it back on and hope its still connects, which i would of thought it would as its not like im changing the unit to another unit, im just changing the batteries, whats peoples thoughts ? thanks

Mate you have took the fuse out of it there should be no power going to it. unplug the unit undo the torx bolts and take it out.Once its out take it in the house and cut along the seam with a hacksaw.Once its open you will see what batteries you need inside.If you have any doubt at all vauxhall will do the job for you but it will probably cost you about £100 pound to do. So think carefully?.

hiya, ive done everything and managed to get into the unit, the batteries say on them
varta,
3.6v 140mah 0 6 3
3/v150H Ni-MH

which i think these should do the job VARTA Mempac 3/V150H/4P Rechargeable Battery (Polarised Pins) - Cell Pack Solutions , theres abit of leakage from the old batteries so think its a safe bet that this is the problem 100%, il be able to unsolder them and clean them up with abit of isp alcohol stuff i use for doing the xboxes with, do you agree them are the batteries ? just abit of reassurance as sounds like your pretty good with cars, thanks

Looking good there mate go for it just make sure the box is glued/sealed up properly afterwards. :thumbsup:

hiya, cheers miggy been a great help mate, il get them ordered then should be here in a couple of days, thanks

hiya, yes sorry, thanks to everyone who posted been a big help. i think the neighbours would of been outside my door last night if it had been going on all night again, thanks again

I am having the same problem. I have a 2002 1.8 Opel Astra Caravan(estate) The alarm started going off occasionally(6 hourly) but has now increased to within minutes of setting the alarm. Is this the same rechargable battery problem? Local GM dealer was not much help as they suggest that i replace the main computor.

I am having the same problem. I have a 2002 1.8 Opel Astra Caravan(estate) The alarm started going off occasionally(6 hourly) but has now increased to within minutes of setting the alarm. Is this the same rechargable battery problem? Local GM dealer was not much help as they suggest that i replace the main computor.

Very likely the sounder problem as above.

Check the rear side window alarm circuit printed on the glass, they can get damaged and go open circuit, then the alarm thinks the glass is broken so off goes the alarm. Easy to bypass / repair.

I realise that I've arrived here too late to help with this particular problem, but...

If you know anyone with Tech2, the alarm stores the reasons why it goes off and you can read them out - makes for a quick diagnosis.

If the power sounder goes faulty and you're not so bothered about having it (there's still the single tone horn under the bonnet to make a noise), you can programme the variant coding to be 'West Germany' rather than 'Great Britain'. German cars weren't fitted with the inner-wing mounted sounder, so programming this option makes a UK car tolerate not having the sounder and keeps both alarm and remote locking functions alive without spending money. :)

I bought a Tech2 about 6 years ago as part of an ever more expensive hobby, spent the last 6 years exploring it, and a lot of the 'off the beaten track' things it can do...

Ian.

Back