Need Advice + Cave Rescue

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have an assesment centre coming up and it is said that many use the exercise of Cave Resue to test the students. This is the exercise shown below, can save five people who would you save and why need serious answers and with reasoning on why.

A pot holing expedition has been trapped in an underground cave by a rock fall. The expedition leader has reported by field telephone that the cave is flooding at a rate which suggests that the cave will be completely flooded within 60-80 minutes, or possibly at any time sooner.

It will be 20 minutes before the rescue equipment arrives and can be set up. Even then it will only be possible to bring out one person every 10 minutes.

You are the rescue team and you therefore have 20 minutes in which to decide the order in which the expedition members will be brought to the surface.

You know the following information about the trapped people:

1. Elizabeth Cartwright
Aged 27. Married with two children aged five years and two years. Her marriage to a successful businessman has been in difficulties for some time. She is having an affair with the expedition leader, Jim Logan.

2. Jim Logan
Aged 36. Divorced, with a son aged 19. He also pays maintenance to a girl in Northern Ireland for their illegitimate child. While serving with the Parachute Regiment in Northern Ireland he received a commendation for bravery after rescuing a colleague while under fire. Was subsequently discharged from the army following a court martial for striking an officer

3. John Porter
Aged 51. A widower with six children aged from 18 to 5 years. He is well known in the local community for his work with disadvantaged young people. He has set up a youth club and also works in a local Advice Centre. Recently elected to the District Council he is popular with his constituents in a run down inner city estate.

4. Alfred Morgan
Aged 19. A string of convictions for petty offences ranging from car theft to shop lifting. Now helps John Porter run the Youth Club and seems to have turned over a new leaf.

5. Barry Porter
Aged 18, son of John Porter. Very much the apple of his father’s eye, despite his left wing, activist views. He is rapidly coming to the conclusion that his father's conciliatory approach to the authorities will never bring about the changes necessary to change society.

6. Janice Worthing
Single, aged 26. Injured by rock fall, she is concussed and has a broken leg and possibly broken ribs. A medical student in her final year who is expected to have an outstanding career as a surgeon. Heavily involved in feminist politics at her university.

7. Richard Carling
Aged 42, married with no children. He is a physicist researching into alternative energy sources. He has almost completed the development of a revolutionary source of cheap, safe energy. He knows he must work quickly - he has cancer and doctors have given him a maximum of two more years.

8. Gerald Worthington
Married, aged 34. His wife was seriously injured in a car crash 3 years ago and is now confined to a wheelchair. She depends on him a lot.

Thanks

10mins each to get out approx 80mins before flooding, thats all 8 out.
i'd take the youngest and leave them abit further out and then the next one further and so on making a human chain untill the opening out then the first one moving up and out. if you get my meaning

20 mins till the equipment arrives though......
HH.

ahhh it says i am the rescue team.
numbers
6 injured
7 has cancer
3 oldest
then by age and fittness

there is no right answer, it decides how you work as part of a team discussion.

i had this test last month when i applied for sky tv installer, we all had different views and answers for each person, everyone thinks different, and had different reasons.

main thing is "work as a team and get involved"

there is no right answer, it decides how you work as part of a team discussion.

i had this test last month when i applied for sky tv installer, we all had different views and answers for each person, everyone thinks different, and had different reasons.

main thing is "work as a team and get involved"

bleedin hell, i've seen sky dishes in strange place's m8 but never outside a cave lol

Leave the lot of them down the hole !

If their stupid enough to go down there in the first place then they probably ain't worth saving !

do them in order of weight - slimmest first as it will be quicker to rescue them, then see how you get on - its lucky that your cave rescue van has scuba equiptment in it. All saved:Biggrin2:

2 will deffenetely get out, there Women... just tell them there's some Jimmy Choo's and some fresh make up on the outside and watch them go :Biggrin2:

Last edited:
Back