Looking for advice on a cheap media player

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As the subject states Im looking to get a cheap media player for the rents... Nothing too fancy like a htpc with kodi\xbmc on it Im after a cheap and cheerful box which comes with a remote you plug it in and away you go (and plays all the standard file types). Ive bought one of those mx midnight boxes which always seem to struggle with MKV files so I ended up binning it. The plan is stick movies etc on an external USB drive and play from that.

As a starter I was looking at those Cyclone Fusion 2 boxes?? And Im a tight arse so the cheaper the better..

Suggestions are gratefully welcome - thanks!! :)

Hola Amigo,

I've tried dozens of distributions over the years from MS Windoze Media Center Edition, through many flavours of linux media centres and hardware devices.
I am currently using raspberries on my LAN networked to use a shared file server containing the media.
You can get the kit off ebay complete with a plug and play remote for less that £50.
Several different versions of XBMC/Kodi are available all of which work well.

Seems to be the cheapest option, james

Thanks mate and yeah I too have gone down that route for some slightly techie friends but I feel a media player which has its own remote and you just plug in a USB drive and play would be an easier solution. Its just finding one that works well.

I would go for one of the Cortex A9 quad core boxes, I use a cs968 box and it plays everything I've throw at it, These go for about £50 to £55, however some guys on here have been recommending the M8 box which uses a 2 ghz quad and also comes with the mali 450
so is more powerful and costs about a £10 more I think.

I would go for one of the Cortex A9 quad core boxes, I use a cs968 box and it plays everything I've throw at it, These go for about £50 to £55, however some guys on here have been recommending the M8 box which uses a 2 ghz quad and also comes with the mali 450
so is more powerful and costs about a £10 more I think.

@Mick or other staff member could you please remove this double post, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a cheap and cheerful one off fleabay £20.plays everything. the remote range is the only downside. but its worth a score. vonhaus media player on fleebay. I've got 1 the father in law has 2.

Tvixie is really good, plays all of the files and has IMDB cover screens etc.... makes it really nice for a movie collection

Back