Need a aerial

mike361

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
well peeps i`m needing a new aerial for freeview as my old one is crap and i only get 14 channels,the aerial will be inside the loft i`v been quoted £150 for a new one supplyed and fited but i reakon i can do it just need to know what aerial t get

mike

a decent wide band ariel will suffice depending on your loft. go to a ariel sattelite wholesalers for the cable coax plug and ariel and you will save a fortune.

a decent wide band ariel will suffice depending on your loft. go to a ariel sattelite wholesalers for the cable coax plug and ariel and you will save a fortune.
hi m8, try and find out which band your local transmitter uses as a single band ariel is always better to use than a wideband one and also get yourself some high grade satellite cable instead of cheap uhf cable. ukfree.tv is a good site with plenty of helpfull info and tips. regards mdt

well this is my transmitter Durris NO 763 899, 14 miles SW of Aberdeen, 500kW analogue power & 10kW (-) digital.
Was an AH group but now only the 4 analogue channels plus Muxes 1 & 2 are within
band. Muxes 3 to 6 (on CHs 52, 51, 41 & 44) require a wideband (or K group, which will
work better), analogue C5 on CH67 requires a wideband. If you receive the latter you
probably already have a wideband antenna. Digital C5 is also available on Mux3.
Due to return to an A group at DSO on the 1 and the 15 September 2010.
For Durris we recommend the DM log for strong signal areas, the Log 40 for medium
signal areas, the Yagi18K or XB10K for poor signal areas and the XB16K for those with the most marginal signals. The dimensions and test performance of the aerials can be found on the relevant tables.

i`m a joiner not a tv dude whAT AERIAL WILL I NEED

CHEERS

hi m8, try and find out which band your local transmitter uses as a single band ariel is always better to use than a wideband one and also get yourself some high grade satellite cable instead of cheap uhf cable. ukfree.tv is a good site with plenty of helpfull info and tips. regards mdt

i have been led to beleive that both points of view have merit but a wide band ariel might save trouble in some instances unless there is a signal issue.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

You should check which one is your local transmitter
by going to www.digitaluk.co.uk and putting in
your House Number/Name and Postcode
in the relevant boxes

You should really get a
professional in to install the
aerial, as this is complicated
and you will need a signal meter as well
This will cost you between £80 and £120,
depending on the firm you choose

If you do it yourself, you need to make sure
that the aerial is pointing in the right direction
and it is a Wideband aerial, to pick up
all the available Freeview services in your area

I put one in the loft myself. Its a doddle. Just scan the roofs closeby to get a general direction, and tweak your aerial once in place mate.

You should check which one is your local transmitter
by going to www.digitaluk.co.uk and putting in
your House Number/Name and Postcode
in the relevant boxes

You should really get a
professional in to install the
aerial, as this is complicated
and you will need a signal meter as well
This will cost you between £80 and £120,
depending on the firm you choose

If you do it yourself, you need to make sure
that the aerial is pointing in the right direction
and it is a Wideband aerial, to pick up
all the available Freeview services in your area

What a load B*llox, at least the part about needing a signal meter.
Most modern DVB tellys or Freeveiw boxes have signal strength meters built in anyway.
I was in the same boat with needing a new one, but all i did was went to B&Q , bought a 52 element one complete with Wall mounting bracket etc and mounted on the side of my house instead of climbing on the roof,lol.

pointed it in the same direction as everyone elses and works perfectly, in fact got 3 tellys running off it!

Total cost about £45 , plus an hour of my own time.

The pros installers are just ripping people off BIG TIME, there was a TV prog, not so long ago regarding dodgy firms charging a fortune to people that could least afford it !

Just do it yourself .

Back