Nas with Itunes Server VS a dedicated Itunes Server ?

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a nas with Itunes Server built into it, I already have a 1TB nas drive but it has no Itunes server on it :(, I was thinking should I get a nas drive with the server already built into it as a itunes service ? or should I go down the route of making a small PC that would run itunes on it?

I can see pro's for both methods but wanted to know if any of you had already had this situation and what your thoughts was.

Also I have come to the conclusion from reading online that

1) a nas drive, even with an itunes server built in will not allow playback of Video on apple tv - can someone put me right on this?
2) a dedicated PC to run itunes while could have all options you can imagine will also use quite allot more power than a nas drive.

I have no idea what way to go but I am not happy to use my laptop as my apple tv library, I already mirror my itunes with my nas so my sonos can play my music without clogging up the network.

you are using almost double the bandwidth if you was to set your itunes library to your nas drive... that would be mental!

Thanks for any advice.

Mick

Last edited:
I was/am looking at the Synology nas, for that exact reason. But I am skint at the mo.

A nas will be quieter and easier to manage.

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!

I am not 100% that a nas will work with apple tv, from what I have read it will work for music and your itunes music but I am not sure that the NAS will allow playback of movies from itunes.

I have home sharing on and normally buy a film for the kids once a week from the kids specials but if they cannot play back from the nas it will be pointless... but I also do not really want to build a PC for this to sit ina cupboard milking my electricity lol. we are already spending £400 a quarter on electrics (fish tank is main culprit lol)

Regards
Mick

Yeah I was thinking about Jailbreaking the AppleTV (it's 2nd gen), but for those who don't want to jail break the box then apple have a bit of a problem here.

In my opinion they need to allow Apple TV to read a NAS drive without itunes open, it defeats the object of steaming if your network has to do 2 times the work just to watch a movie.

And when streaming movie's in HD it's quite allot of work that the network is doing.

Back to the drawing board I guess, as I cannot find any NAS drive on the market that will work hand in hand with the appletv, and the problem for me is that I want to add 2 more apple tv's and do not want everything running through my laptop.

Mick

Using Apple TV with NAS

Yes it will work with a NAS but requires some ATV hacks that installs a UPnP/DLNA server most NAS units come with one of these built in, similar to iTunes media server but supports more formats of course. Or use a hack which enables Samba (SMB) network support which will give you compatibility with windows networks, most NAS units default to sharing folders over SMB.

Last edited:
The new appletv cannot be jailbroken ?

I do not want to Jailbrake the apple tv lol, but they are leaving me no choice here.

double the network use if you want to store your itunes library on your nas lol... pointless!

I backup my itunes library daily and straight away after downloading anything to my nas so that my SONOS can use the nas, it works well... why apple cannot let us use a library is beyond me. they encode all the files to know if they are illegal or not ffs... STUPID STUPID LMAO.

Mick

If I was to Jail brake the appletv 2nd gen tv, would I still be able to stream there movies direct from them using my Itunes ID?

Thanks for the link biffo the Jail Brake looks very easy to do.

Regards
Mick

So I can still rent Itunes movies ?

I have found there streaming to be excellent to be honest, never jumps or nothing.

Mick

Yes you can still rent via the front end of the atv2 Mick wtf is this renting lark get em downloaded ;P check the shared section hehe...

Once you have it jail broken give me a shout I will send you some thing you will like ;)

oooo nakid pictures :)

I will do it over the weekend, I know what you mean though ZAD, I don't mind renting a film for £3 the kids are quiet for a while, all the messing with nzb's then quickpar lol, etc.

I honestly enjoy the press the button and begin approach lol.

I won't tell you how many albums I have bought from itunes lol you will all get the right hump with me :(

Mick

oooo nakid pictures :)

I will do it over the weekend, I know what you mean though ZAD, I don't mind renting a film for £3 the kids are quiet for a while, all the messing with nzb's then quickpar lol, etc.

I honestly enjoy the press the button and begin approach lol.

I won't tell you how many albums I have bought from itunes lol you will all get the right hump with me :(

Mick

If you want naked pics no probe but I was on about a little piece of software for you lol ... weirdo!!!

oh and btw a little bit of advice get sabnzb click the nab and it does it all for you :) and if you just point it at your nas you can then just click n play too..

If you want naked pics no probe

Damnit! I thought we was getting the probe pictures out too.

Will look at that sabnzb, I must have been in a cave for too long its all going on :)

Regards
Mick

Back