narrowed down fault now what?

kph1966

Inactive User
Reaction score
hello chaps,i have a plug and play tm500s and the picture has been breaking up and sometimes even locking up all together,i rang virmin and they said they have had no issues at all in my area,so i took the router out of the line and plugged direct into the modem and no more probs.i read in the tm5oos manual that if you go threw a router you should enter your routers ip address in the nameserver and also in the gateway is this ok to do on a plug and play box?and also how do i find my routers ip address? i'm sure most of you technobods will have a router and have had to sort this issue so your help would be much appreciated,all have a good day......

If the network settings are set to DHCP on the box, you shouldn't need to do anything else, all the settings are set automatically.

When the picture freezes/breaks, do you have someone downloading on a PC at the same time?

hello tonybod,no and it doe's it even when there is nothing at all plugged into the router just the feed for the box,i am presumeing it must be some kind of configaration setup prob but being new to sat receivers and computeing in genaral to be honest i have'nt got a clue about either,thanks for the reply and have a good day.....

Might be a server problem if its cs your doing or a dish problem weak signal.

Sounds like an overloaded server to me.

I would deffo agree thats an overloaded server . Finding a good server can be hard always best just a few pals splitting the bill each month this is how me and my friends do it and my picture never locks up .

hello chaps,if it were a server issue how come when i don't use the router i have no problems,surely it is a problem concerning the router?it's a sitecom router has anyone any experiance with these routers and a tm? cheers,all have a good evening...

"hello chaps,i have a plug and play tm500s and the picture has been breaking up and sometimes even locking up all together"

you say this happens but does this happen on the free channels like bbc1 itv ?

hello blue i hope your well,no it does'nt but why is everything is hunky dory without the router?have a good evening...

hello blue i hope your well,no it does'nt but why is everything is hunky dory without the router?have a good evening...
hi kphm8 hows you all good here thanks

ok so we have established that itv and bbc with or without router works

we have established that all your channels ie slysports1 works when pugged into modem is that correct?

if so i would have thought it was your router if thats the case strange as it maybe as , as a peer you shouldnt have to open ya ports ,but as it stands it seems to be pointing towards your router :err:

is it possible you could borrow someones router or get one from some where to see if it helps m8 ?

Last edited:
hello blue,everything works fine without the router and as i said at the start i thought i had to put my my routers ip address into gateway and nameserver as it states in the tm500s manual you should do if your useing a router but not knowing untill yesterday my arse from my elbow i don't know if i have to do as the manual states,have a good night....

hello blue,everything works fine without the router and as i said at the start i thought i had to put my my routers ip address into gateway and nameserver as it states in the tm500s manual you should do if your useing a router but not knowing untill yesterday my arse from my elbow i don't know if i have to do as the manual states,have a good night....
have you not got another router you could try mate to narrow down your options, if it works fine without the router plugged in it would appear its the router causing the problem!

hello big hol,i'll have to do something as at times it becomes totally unwatchable and the kids are giveing me a hard time about it(as kids do)so i think i'll try and see if i can borrow a router and see if it cures the prob,it is a brand new router i have that i bought so i could still use the computer as well as haveing the box up and running at the same time,have a good evening.....

khp just go into communication setup make sure dhcp is selected then turn off and on the box from the back

the router should automatically pick up your settings,
if you wanted to enter your settings manually
go on your pc click start run and type cmd a lil black box will pop up on xp.
on vista press the windows logo button then press r
then type in cmd a lil box pops up
type in msconfig and press enter you should have something like the folowing

ip address eg 192.168.1.4
subnet mask eg 255.255.255.0
default gateway eg 192.168.1.1

now on your reciever the ipaddress goes in the ip box
now on your reciever the subnetmask goes in the netmask box
now onyour reciever the default gateway goes in the gate way box
hope this helps mate gives you somthing to refair too
:banana:

Last edited:
hello blue, tried this several times and no joy but thanks for the advice,have a good evening........

hello blue, tried this several times and no joy but thanks for the advice,have a good evening........

well besides the router not having dhcp option enabled think its best you try another router mate good luck post back if you find a fix so it helps someone else suffering from the same problem thanks m8

Back