My keys will no longer start my car!

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
I dropped my keys and now they won't start my car. :(

I think i may have damaged the wee immobiliser chip inside the fob, the keys still remotely open and lock the car but the engine just turns over repeatedly when I try to start it (engine starts 1st time with my other key).

Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Someone told me that Vauxhall charge £120 jsut for the key!! - then they charge more to pair it to the vehicle!!

Car is a Vauxhall Zafira 52 plate.

Probably similar to Saab keys as the Saab 9-5 shares a lot of parts with the Vectra, both owned by GM.
The Saab key was only £50 from a main dealer including the pairing with the car and as Saab charge more I'd guess yours might be cheaper.

They might have to order it in though. Do you have a spare?

I dropped my keys and now they won't start my car. :(

I think i may have damaged the wee immobiliser chip inside the fob, the keys still remotely open and lock the car but the engine just turns over repeatedly when I try to start it (engine starts 1st time with my other key).

Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Someone told me that Vauxhall charge £120 jsut for the key!! - then they charge more to pair it to the vehicle!!

Car is a Vauxhall Zafira 52 plate.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-REMO...ryZ10404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
ebay price lol

but u will still need the immobiliser part of the keyfob reprogramming
a good lock smith with have the equipment needed
do u have the codes for the car??

the fob can only be programmed with tech 2 and the 4 digit security code

Last edited:
I sorted it myself :)

When i dropped my keys the fob split open and the wee transponder chip for the immobiliser fell out, I opened my spare key fob and noticed that it had a lilttle black chip thing whereas the dropped one didn't, I went to the place where I dropped my keys and after searching for about half an hour I found it :)

Keys are now working fine..........phew!

For anyone else in same predicament, you can get cloned chip (and key) for £20-£25 from some locksmiths

Cant believe you were that lucky are the beers on you now ?

For anyone else in same predicament, you can get cloned chip (and key) for £20-£25 from some locksmiths

What's involved in this mate?

Would they need access to your other set of keys to get the codes?

this is off your motor witchy, but for those with a volvo. About 7 years ago, had a similar prob with my broth-in-laws volvo. It was a 3.0 litre 24v thing, not sure on the year, think it was a k plate. But anyway we went to the seaside with the kids, jumped in and went for a swim with the keys still in the pocket. When it was time to go, he realized keys stopped working. Eventually the way round it was to pull apart the to big connectores next to the alarm around the wiring loom. Then join the two thickest wires (thats red and purple) and the motor by passed everything and started. You have to leave them connceted otherwise being an automatic you wont be able to change from neutral to drive if you disconnect!

you can reprogram the fob yourself

put key in ignition, turn to postion 2 (but don't start engine), press lock/unlock buttons on fob. Central locking should respond. Hey presto, key fob programmed.

you can do it with fords too (i work for ford) but its a different way (i forget)

you can reprogram the fob yourself

put key in ignition, turn to postion 2 (but don't start engine), press lock/unlock buttons on fob. Central locking should respond. Hey presto, key fob programmed.

you can do it with fords too (i work for ford) but its a different way (i forget)
yes but that will only sort the door operation
it is similar to fords pats u need a chip in the key fob to switch off the immobilizer

I sorted it myself :)

When i dropped my keys the fob split open and the wee transponder chip for the immobiliser fell out, I opened my spare key fob and noticed that it had a lilttle black chip thing whereas the dropped one didn't, I went to the place where I dropped my keys and after searching for about half an hour I found it :)

Keys are now working fine..........phew!

man . how lucky was that? you don`t fancy picking me lottery numbers do you?

I wonder how many people have spent an arm and a leg trying to get their engine started thinking it was an ignition/fule/carb/engine problem when infact it turned out to be a faulty immobiliser?!

Back