MX 2 Black screen

rpbpaul

Reaction score
Hi All
I have an MX 2 box, I tried to upgrade the firmware using the toothpick method.
I downloaded the latest firmware unzipped it, I put it on an SD card, I put the SD card into the box, I pressed the reset button, and plugged in the power, but all I get is a black screen on the tv with the message no signal.
Is the box dead, or is there a way to get it back.
Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

been a while since I did one of these. you don't unzip the files just put the zips on an sd card. your origional firmware has to be above 1.1.8 or the hdmi wont work after the update. all instructions are here MX2 Firmware - Matricom Knowledge Base you'll have to reflash with the earlier software and then update again. I don't use mine any more I use the fire tv stick with kodi runs better.

Hi thebigman
Thanks for your quick reply,This a box I used previously, I now use a T8 box.
Out of boredom I thought I would tinker with the MX 2..
I unzipped the downloaded firmware and put the three files on to the SD card, then tried a restore. I was left with the factory settings, [no xbmc or kodi]. I tried it again, now the box is not responding just a black screen on the tv with a message no signal.So I cant access the box to try a different firmware.Is there a solution to this or should I forget it and bin it
Thank you.

Did you unplug the mx box,press and hold reset button then plug the power back in while holding the reset button. If you did this the android man should be on his back then you scroll thru menu for the files on sd card and if you gonna chuck the mx away chuck it my way il take it off your hands

sent from 2 tin cans and some string

Hi Magnu420
Yes I followed the instructions given, as far as I remember no menu appeared on screen and the android man was standing before it rebooted.

Sounds like you didnt do it right

Unplug box, press and hold reset button, plug power lead back into mx box,keep holding and pressing reset button for about 10 seconds then it should boot into the android recovery menu with the droid man on his back

sent from 2 tin cans and some string

I have tried. that many times with the same result. The blue indicator light on the front comes on, so there is power to the box, I tried a different HDMI cable, the same message on tv screen, [no signal].

Thanks Fergalsworld for your reply.
I downloaded the cwm and tried to access the box via SD card,. It did not work, I still have a black screen on the tv.
It could be a lost cause, but I will keep searching for another while.

here is the guide I used to put mine back to 1.1.5 and get the hdmi working again. [Q] Help unbrick AMLogic aml8726-mx tablet - Post #0 once this has finished running ignore the 2 errors at the end and unplug the power and plug it in again.If you try to update without being on firmware 1.1.8 the hdmi will stop working. from memory you need to go to 1.1.6 then 1.1.8 then you can update to the the latest over online 1.2.2.

Thanks thebigman
I cant seem to download the image file, it gets to approx. 30% and stops. I have tried a few times, each time the same thing. I think I need more free memory on my pc. I will try again later. Is there a tutorial on how to use the hdd raw tool.
Thanks again.

try using chrome to download, it's a large file internet explorer tends to drop the download. Just follow the instructions in the post to use the hdd tool. You'll need at least a 4gig sd card.

Thanks once again for your help, I used chrome to download the zip file, I then unzipped it to my desktop and used hdd raw tool to put it on an 8gig sd card, I ejected the card and tried it in the box with the toothpick method. I had no response, still have a black screen. It looks like it is a lost cause.

Thanks once again for your help, I used chrome to download the zip file, I then unzipped it to my desktop and used hdd raw tool to put it on an 8gig sd card, I ejected the card and tried it in the box with the toothpick method. I had no response, still have a black screen. It looks like it is a lost cause.

Just a thought- how old is your TV? I have an old-ish Samsung in the workshop which doesn't recognise 1080- could it be the box is resetting to 1080 & your TV doesn't see it?

if your getting as far as the led coming on blue, I would say the box could still be saved. You were getting the android symbol when you were booting with the toothpick method, try another sd card if you have one. I thought mine was toast too but I managed to recover then update. it can take several attempts.

just a thought, when powering on you need to hold the reset button for around 10 seconds after you plug the power cable in then you can release it. don't unplug the power again if the screen remains blank it can take a couple of minutes before you see anything on the screen.

goto droidsticks and flash your MX box m8 load kodi on pc add the wookie repository and enable it u should see droidsticks in there flash ya box with the driodsticks util

Back