MS Dash? Again

mattbuffey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi.

First some background: I have a softmodded xbox (splinter cell), installed evox and installed xbmc (which I am running as my default dash).

Now the problem: I've just bought a component cable and want to reset the resolution of xbox to output at HD (720, I guess, I want to watch divx files from the xbox on my LCD telly so I want to upscale....). Anyway, it's my understanding that I need to go back to the MS Dash to change the settings. When I try and run 'xboxdash.xbe' from the root of C (using the file browser in xbmc) the whole thing just freezes. So I tried to run the evox dash so that I can get back to the MS Dash. Anyway, the evox dash seems to work but the 'Microsoft Dashboard' option in evox isn't 'active'. I scroll down the options but it jumps over the 'Microsoft Dashboard' option. I've looked in the evox.ini file and edited it so that it points to the 'xboxdash.xbe' from the root of C, but still no joy.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Reactions: bro
I believe you have used an old exploit. From experience these tend to stop you from using MS Dash aswell as Evox. I removed my softmod and installed SID4.5. Both dashboards are now usable. Hope this helps.

I only just got the damn thing working. Okay, so, to reverse the mod, I guess I have to restore all that stuff I backed up when I did the mod in the first place? I've searched on the internet but most of the tutorials / instructions seem to be on modding the box, not reversing it. Can you perhpas provide some more detailed instructions? Thanks!

Splinter cell (the file was called SID.Splinter.Cell.v2.0.PAL.Xbox-Hq.zip).

Right I see the problem. The earlier version of this exploit does not allow you to use the MS Dash but the latest version does (I think this is 4.5) PM me if you need a copy.

You have two options to remove your current softmod

FTP the new exploit (4.5) to your Xbox E drive (It will probably overwrite your current softmod save game exploit).

Power on the xbox, open the tray and the menu will appear. Select the remove softmod option. This will take your Xbox back to the factory setting.

Run the new exploit via Splinter Cell. Install the Softmod (the Dual Boot Open version).

You should now be able to use both MS Dash and EvoX

OR

Power on the xbox, open the tray and the menu will appear. Select the remove softmod option. This will take your Xbox back to the factory setting.
Somehow transfer the new softmod onto a memory card. Transfer this exploit to the xbox via MS Dash. Run exploit via Splinter Cell and install new softmod(the Dual Boot Open version).

You should now be able to use both MS Dash and EvoX

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
or simply ftp with your box and edit your evox.ini with this

# Upgraded HD config Created by SlaYer for the SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer v2.6
AutoLaunchGames = No
AutoLaunchDVD = No
DVDPlayer = "E:\Apps\dvdx\default.xbe"
AutoLaunchAudio = Yes
#AudioPlayer = "c:\xboxdash.xbe"
MSDashBoard = "c:\xboxdash.xbe"

now when you boot evox your should see a link to your ms dash

Gopher - I tried to edit the evox.ini file already but for some reason it still didn't make the MS dashboard option active in evox. The problem seems to be the xboxdash.xbe file itself (although why the option wasn't active in evox - who knows). I also tried loading an xbox live game and then picking the return to ms dashboard option, but this just loaded up the 'page' which gives me an error 21 and freezes my xbox.

Purity seems to have had the same problem but fixed it by remodding with a new mod file. Purity - PM'd you this morning on this issue. Couldn't do it last night as my internet went down (might as well move back to stone tablets and chisels...).

Not having a good day today - I wish people at work were as helpful as you lot....

Yes, I believe it modifies some of the original dashboard files, that's why it makes a backup first.

Gopher - I tried to edit the evox.ini file already but for some reason it still didn't make the MS dashboard option active in evox. The problem seems to be the xboxdash.xbe file itself (although why the option wasn't active in evox - who knows). I also tried loading an xbox live game and then picking the return to ms dashboard option, but this just loaded up the 'page' which gives me an error 21 and freezes my xbox.

Purity seems to have had the same problem but fixed it by remodding with a new mod file. Purity - PM'd you this morning on this issue. Couldn't do it last night as my internet went down (might as well move back to stone tablets and chisels...).

Not having a good day today - I wish people at work were as helpful as you lot....

ok have you tryed looking in the settings on the evox somtimes the link to ms dash is there if not have a look on Xbox-Scene.com - Xbox 360 Xbox360 Modchips Xecuter3 Xenium SmartXX X-Chip X-B.I.T Xecuter2.6 Xodus - Gamesave Dashboard exploit - EvolutionX Avalaunch MXM Dashboard UnleashX - X2 & EvoX bios - Copy Xbox Hacks & Cracks tutorials faq - Cheapmod in the tutorials have a few for your problem? im curious as why you want ms dash? if your xbox is modded and you want to play xbox live chances are ul get banned?

Yeah, do not play on live with this softmod, you will get banned

I believe the softmod does allow you to have a virtual retail partition (to play on live) if you wish, but this is still a risk

Purity. I ftp'd the SID4 files to the xbox. When I rebooted the xbox with the disc tray open instead of getting the old menu (uleash, I think) from which I expected to do 'restore MS' I instead get the new SID4 menu (even though I haven't got splinter cell loaded or done anything). Anyway, this new menu gives me the option, amongst others, to 'Install Softmod' (the new softmod, I assume) or 'Unistall softmod' (does this also mean the new softmod?).

I assume I just select 'Install Softmod' and this will overwrite the old softmod? But i'm worried that I need to somehow restore my back up first?

Anyway, over to you professor.

It is booting to that menu because you have overwritten the old save game exploit. When you leave the tray open it runs the files found on your E drive.

I think if you select the Install Softmod (Pick the Dual Boot Open version) it detects your old softmod and installs the latest one.

Where do you have the backup of your old Dashboard?

Do you have a copy of the drive key etc? Just in case anything goes wrong?

I did it slightly differently. I have two xboxes - one flashed and one softmodded. I was able to transfer the save game exploit to the memory card using the flashed xbox.

I then restored the softmodded xbox to the MS Dashboard using SID2.5. Copied the new save game to the xbox using msdash and ran the exploit using Splinter Cell. Installing the new SID4.5 exploit

Last edited:
Well, I was being stupid last time. I didn't notice the Backup / Restore features option. Anyway, once I selected that it allowed me to restore MS, which I did. I started up the box again and the msdash came up no problem. So I went ahead and loaded splinter cell and went through the modding process. I was required to create a new MS and EEPROM backup before modding, which I duly did. It then let me install the mod, and so I installed the dual boot one as recommended. Anyway, I thought everything was okay, but when I powered up my box again I got error13.

Man, is this a saga or what?

Read chapter 6 on the guide attached. Do not use the uninstall option of SID4.5. You should be fine to upgrade your softmod if you have a retail backup in the location of E:\backup\MS

Maybe now the mod has installed an old version of the MS dash that's incompatible with your kernel version?

Good point. Revert back to MS Dash and see what version it is. It is better to have 1.00.5960.01 dashboard.

If you don't have this dashboard , run the original copy of Halo 2,
Burnout Revenge, Splinter Cell 2 or 3, and this will update it.

Now try and re-install the softmod

Under system info i find:

K: 1.00.4817.01
D: 1.00.5960.01

So is the msdash up-to-date?

Matt

Yes that is the correct dash. Try re-install the softmod via Splinter Cell.

Hopefully you wont get the same error

Well, I tried to install it again but I still get the same error 13. I assume that I have the retail MS backed up as i can unistall the softmod and go back to the ms dash (the manual for the mod implies that you need the retail MS backup in order to do this).

Should I try and install the single boot or knave's endure option? Do you know if either will let me start up the ms dash?

Back