MOT and Registration Plates

stevemac40

Inactive User
Reaction score
Has something changed recently regrding what Reg plates are required to pass an MOT.

Just had my car back from the garage and was informed that I will need to change my plates for the next MOT. I have plates that were supplied by the original Mazda garage when the car was bought new in 2004. I don't have any kind of crazy private plate or numbers pretending to be letters.

It seems unlikely to me that my plates are illegal. This is a garage that I have used a fair bit and they have always seemed reasonable and cheap so I find it hard to think they are trying a fast one.

Any of you car nuts know anything about this?

Has something changed recently regrding what Reg plates are required to pass an MOT.

Just had my car back from the garage and was informed that I will need to change my plates for the next MOT. I have plates that were supplied by the original Mazda garage when the car was bought new in 2004. I don't have any kind of crazy private plate or numbers pretending to be letters.

It seems unlikely to me that my plates are illegal. This is a garage that I have used a fair bit and they have always seemed reasonable and cheap so I find it hard to think they are trying a fast one.

Any of you car nuts know anything about this?
has it got the british kite mark and does it have the makers name on it
has it any marks like rain seepage in it

with these missing and it being damaged it will need replacing

Sure mine from the Ford Garage as fitted new 2001 doesn't have kite mark on them, i would guess water marks as already stated mine has just been MOT'd last week, and taxed too the robbing tw@ts £215 for the year :(

There has been a little bit of rain damage so maybe thats the reason. Absolutely ridiculous though as it doesn't affect the ability to view the Reg number.

There has been a little bit of rain damage so maybe thats the reason. Absolutely ridiculous though as it doesn't affect the ability to view the Reg number.

it was and it police want clear plates m8 for the cameras , they have to at least advice u know m8 . they can also have dvla inspectors sitting out side the gates and if u drive of and they think there maked they will give the mot garage points and after 20 points l think it is they get banned

it was and it police want clear plates m8 for the cameras , they have to at least advice u know m8 . they can also have dvla inspectors sitting out side the gates and if u drive of and they think there maked they will give the mot garage points and after 20 points l think it is they get banned

You're speaking as if it was you that repaired the car, was it?:proud:

Back