Mini-PCI card for laptop

Devilfish

DW Regular
Reaction score
I use a PCMCIA card for wireless with my laptop. I've recently noticed it has a mini-PCI slot on the bottom and I'm thinking about getting a wireless card to fit here.

The laptop is a Digimate so I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if any kind of mini-PCI adapter would work ok? I'm not sure how many pins is available or the dimensions of the slot so will need to check that tonight.

I've seen a few on ebay but some auctions are also talking about internal wifi antennas. Is it necessary to install these too as I don't really want to take the display out the case to fit them?

Thanks

Have a look in the card bay, there should be a couple of thin wires with little studs at the end of them. These are the antenna connections which attach to the card.(that's how it is on my Dell lappy anyway) I don't think you can retrofit an antenna and I haven't heard of a mini-PCI card for anything other than wireless so there should be an internal antenna there. Not all mini-PCI cards are the same though, so it might be worth checking here:http://www.digimate.co.uk/index2.htm If you click 'contact us' there's a technical query form.

Last edited:
What model number of Digimate laptop do you have mate? Once I know that I can search to see what options you have.

Mini-PCI wireless cards are generally much better than PCMCIA cards. I upgraded my laptop from a 802.11b to a 802.11g to give me extra speed.

Back