Microsoft shows it does not give a hoot

alimac

VIP Member
VIP Member
Susan Bradley's open letter to Microsoft gets a non-response from Microsoft that shows that the company is not really interested in feedback.

Susan Bradley, a well known Windows administrator and contributor on various forums
wrote an open letter recently to Microsoft in which she summerized
results of a Windows survey on update quality and releases in general.

The questions were
  1. Satisfaction with Microsoft patching (overall Windows 7 to Windows 10).
  2. Satisfaction with the quality of Windows 10 updates.
  3. Windows 10 feature updates useful to business needs.
  4. The cadence of feature releases.
  5. Is Microsoft meeting business needs with Windows 10.
Susan asked an open-ended question as well in which participants could provide their opinion on what needed to change to make Windows 10 better for business.
Survey results indicate that many users who filled out the survey are not satisfied with the current quality of updates, patch releases and general update behavior. Almost 70% of respondents stated that they were not satisfied with the quality of update releases.

Susan mentioned that 47 of the updates that Microsoft released in july 2018 some of what had serious issues

Note:IF Microshit had listened to the users' Feedback,
Windows 10, Edge etc.etc etc

would Not have been in such a MESS. as it is today

Users had to answer five simple questions using a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 meaning "very much not satisfied" and 5 meaning "very satisfied".

sneaker

VIP Member
VIP Member
If they cared what users thought, we would all still be using XP with regular updates. For Me it is still the best system they ever produced, windows seven is ok with that start menu program You posted.

janobi

Janet to us
VIP Member
MS doesn't need to do shit, and listen to anyone. What is any business going to replace their whole "Windows estate" with. There is no viable option for people, therefore MS win. Best thing MS ever did was give the OS away for free, and got it into everyones homes, and businesses. As now they can and do, do what they want, when they want.

TBH XP/Win7 are by far the best OS from MS. 8/10/ME all bags of shit!

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Of their more recent OSs, XP, 7 and 10 were the long-term support ones.

I'm still putting off 10 at work and home.

I found out a while back (I use Server 2008 on a couple of MicroServers) that Server 2008 was based on the Vista SP1 kernel and Server 2008 R2 was built on the same kernel as Windows 7, NT 6.1.

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
I can only use Win 7, i reluctantly had to upgrade from XP, Win 10 looks to confusing, seems more touchscreen/tablet based...Hate it..

cactikid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Bits of a few systems here xp,w7 and w10,when my desktop died due to hdd gone he looked inside and said everything is too old,best thing in it was my creative audigy sound card now in w10.
w7 updates come up with errors and gone slow in use.

jkcz

New Member ++
I can only use Win 7, i reluctantly had to upgrade from XP, Win 10 looks to confusing, seems more touchscreen/tablet based...Hate it..
It's not that bad, if you can get used to it then it's a great system. Only issues I have are the dual settings/control panel options where your settings are sort of split between the 2 and then like everyone else says, no real control over updates (but that might be a good thing, keeps you more secure; only if they would tell you what they are really updating and let you block the optional stuff).

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
It's not that bad, if you can get used to it then it's a great system. Only issues I have are the dual settings/control panel options where your settings are sort of split between the 2 and then like everyone else says, no real control over updates (but that might be a good thing, keeps you more secure; only if they would tell you what they are really updating and let you block the optional stuff).
I kind of agree. My 'every day' laptop came with 8.1 pre-loaded. I hated it, but it became 'usable' when I installed 'Classic Shell'. I was relieved when 10 came along and actually find it the best iteration of Windows yet. Yes, it has tablet-friendly features, but those can be switched off to make it a very 7-esque experience with numerous added and useful tweaks. Then along came the updates and, like so many others they (sometimes) caused problems.
I soon discovered that there is no official setting to turn off the updates, but someone posted a handy hack which stops all updates bar important security updates. As the annual releases involve a large download, people using metered connections (limited data) would understandably get upset when faced with a hefty bill for an update they didn't ask for, so there is a facility to block the big downloads. Quite simply, you set your network to 'metered' in Network & Internet settings. I waited for a couple of months (to give M$ time to iron out any problems) and allowed 2018's update through - neither I nor the PC liked it so I used the 'undo' option and put it back to how it was.

TEST