Microsoft shows it does not give a hoot

alimac

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Susan Bradley's open letter to Microsoft gets a non-response from Microsoft that shows that the company is not really interested in feedback.

Susan Bradley, a well known Windows administrator and contributor on various forums
wrote an open letter recently to Microsoft in which she summerized
results of a Windows survey on update quality and releases in general.

The questions were
  1. Satisfaction with Microsoft patching (overall Windows 7 to Windows 10).
  2. Satisfaction with the quality of Windows 10 updates.
  3. Windows 10 feature updates useful to business needs.
  4. The cadence of feature releases.
  5. Is Microsoft meeting business needs with Windows 10.
Susan asked an open-ended question as well in which participants could provide their opinion on what needed to change to make Windows 10 better for business.
Survey results indicate that many users who filled out the survey are not satisfied with the current quality of updates, patch releases and general update behavior. Almost 70% of respondents stated that they were not satisfied with the quality of update releases.

Susan mentioned that 47 of the updates that Microsoft released in july 2018 some of what had serious issues

Note:IF Microshit had listened to the users' Feedback,
Windows 10, Edge etc.etc etc

would Not have been in such a MESS. as it is today

Users had to answer five simple questions using a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 meaning "very much not satisfied" and 5 meaning "very satisfied".

If they cared what users thought, we would all still be using XP with regular updates. For Me it is still the best system they ever produced, windows seven is ok with that start menu program You posted.

MS doesn't need to do shit, and listen to anyone. What is any business going to replace their whole "Windows estate" with. There is no viable option for people, therefore MS win. Best thing MS ever did was give the OS away for free, and got it into everyones homes, and businesses. As now they can and do, do what they want, when they want.

TBH XP/Win7 are by far the best OS from MS. 8/10/ME all bags of shit!

Of their more recent OSs, XP, 7 and 10 were the long-term support ones.

I'm still putting off 10 at work and home.

I found out a while back (I use Server 2008 on a couple of MicroServers) that Server 2008 was based on the Vista SP1 kernel and Server 2008 R2 was built on the same kernel as Windows 7, NT 6.1.

I can only use Win 7, i reluctantly had to upgrade from XP, Win 10 looks to confusing, seems more touchscreen/tablet based...Hate it..

Bits of a few systems here xp,w7 and w10,when my desktop died due to hdd gone he looked inside and said everything is too old,best thing in it was my creative audigy sound card now in w10.
w7 updates come up with errors and gone slow in use.

I can only use Win 7, i reluctantly had to upgrade from XP, Win 10 looks to confusing, seems more touchscreen/tablet based...Hate it..

It's not that bad, if you can get used to it then it's a great system. Only issues I have are the dual settings/control panel options where your settings are sort of split between the 2 and then like everyone else says, no real control over updates (but that might be a good thing, keeps you more secure; only if they would tell you what they are really updating and let you block the optional stuff).

It's not that bad, if you can get used to it then it's a great system. Only issues I have are the dual settings/control panel options where your settings are sort of split between the 2 and then like everyone else says, no real control over updates (but that might be a good thing, keeps you more secure; only if they would tell you what they are really updating and let you block the optional stuff).

I kind of agree. My 'every day' laptop came with 8.1 pre-loaded. I hated it, but it became 'usable' when I installed 'Classic Shell'. I was relieved when 10 came along and actually find it the best iteration of Windows yet. Yes, it has tablet-friendly features, but those can be switched off to make it a very 7-esque experience with numerous added and useful tweaks. Then along came the updates and, like so many others they (sometimes) caused problems.
I soon discovered that there is no official setting to turn off the updates, but someone posted a handy hack which stops all updates bar important security updates. As the annual releases involve a large download, people using metered connections (limited data) would understandably get upset when faced with a hefty bill for an update they didn't ask for, so there is a facility to block the big downloads. Quite simply, you set your network to 'metered' in Network & Internet settings. I waited for a couple of months (to give M$ time to iron out any problems) and allowed 2018's update through - neither I nor the PC liked it so I used the 'undo' option and put it back to how it was.

I kind of agree. My 'every day' laptop came with 8.1 pre-loaded. I hated it, but it became 'usable' when I installed 'Classic Shell'. I was relieved when 10 came along and actually find it the best iteration of Windows yet. Yes, it has tablet-friendly features, but those can be switched off to make it a very 7-esque experience with numerous added and useful tweaks. Then along came the updates and, like so many others they (sometimes) caused problems.
I soon discovered that there is no official setting to turn off the updates, but someone posted a handy hack which stops all updates bar important security updates. As the annual releases involve a large download, people using metered connections (limited data) would understandably get upset when faced with a hefty bill for an update they didn't ask for, so there is a facility to block the big downloads. Quite simply, you set your network to 'metered' in Network & Internet settings. I waited for a couple of months (to give M$ time to iron out any problems) and allowed 2018's update through - neither I nor the PC liked it so I used the 'undo' option and put it back to how it was.

Windows will always be buggy due to Microsoft wanting it to be the all in one system that's compatible with any device that has a heartbeat. Shifting to a touch UI was painful with Windows 8 with all the settings thrown all over the place and whilst Windows 10 is better it still feels confused. Windows was never a consumer class OS and with 10 they seem to think they can go down this update route of 2 new versions per year, pile on more useless features on top of the broken previous ones. We all like to customize and optimize whatever version of Windows we are using but I found this almost impossible with 10, that combined with the utter garbage that comes loaded and can't be removed just puts me right off it. Windows 10 for me is just a fu***** time vampire that requires more effort to run my programs, more effort to lock down crap I don't need, more effort to limit what Microsoft is doing, removes features that are essential like disabling automatic driver and security updates and requires a beta blocker every time a major update comes along. I agree with what others have said, XP and 7 were pretty sorted and I was pissed when XP bit the dust but I'll be devastated when support for 7 runs out in 2020. I would like to say I'll move to Linux but for me it's not really a viable option although Mint is a pretty sorted OS these days..

Windows will always be buggy due to Microsoft wanting it to be the all in one system that's compatible with any device that has a heartbeat. Shifting to a touch UI was painful with Windows 8 with all the settings thrown all over the place and whilst Windows 10 is better it still feels confused. Windows was never a consumer class OS and with 10 they seem to think they can go down this update route of 2 new versions per year, pile on more useless features on top of the broken previous ones. We all like to customize and optimize whatever version of Windows we are using but I found this almost impossible with 10, that combined with the utter garbage that comes loaded and can't be removed just puts me right off it. Windows 10 for me is just a fu***** time vampire that requires more effort to run my programs, more effort to lock down crap I don't need, more effort to limit what Microsoft is doing, removes features that are essential like disabling automatic driver and security updates and requires a beta blocker every time a major update comes along. I agree with what others have said, XP and 7 were pretty sorted and I was pissed when XP bit the dust but I'll be devastated when support for 7 runs out in 2020. I would like to say I'll move to Linux but for me it's not really a viable option although Mint is a pretty sorted OS these days..

A valid point here - you want to spend your time at the PC productively, not pissing about with settings every other day. My Mum's Win 7 upgraded itself to 10 and it's become almost un-usable. Trouble is she's 2000 miles away so there's not a lot I can do from here.

There are numerous Linux iterations, here are a few, some of which apparently run on older, less powerful hardware. Some might take a bit of tweaking to get them working but at least they'll stay how you want, not how M$ wants.

Top 10 Free Operating Systems For Laptop or Netbook for 2018. | Mashtips

A valid point here - you want to spend your time at the PC productively, not pissing about with settings every other day. My Mum's Win 7 upgraded itself to 10 and it's become almost un-usable. Trouble is she's 2000 miles away so there's not a lot I can do from here.

There are numerous Linux iterations, here are a few, some of which apparently run on older, less powerful hardware. Some might take a bit of tweaking to get them working but at least they'll stay how you want, not how M$ wants.

Top 10 Free Operating Systems For Laptop or Netbook for 2018. | Mashtips

That's a shame for your Mum, I used to have a small PC Repair business and I had to sort out many people just like your Mum who mostly thought they had done something wrong. They couldn't believe that Microsoft had actually forced this on them, a lot of them just gave up on Windows when they figured out they could do most of their stuff on a 80 quid tablet running Android then it was game over.Microsoft have killed themselves in the consumer market and I have tried some of the lower spec machines running 10, it was pitiful to borderline unusable .

I have tinkered with a few versions of Linux that are on your list, Mint and Kubuntu were pretty cool, I also found Peppermint was outstanding on a low spec atom notebook I had lying around. Jesus it could run Kodi and power Youtube videos with Firefox and run Open Office pretty well..

I would love to be able to use Linux or any variant of it,but ive been using Pc's for about 15/20yr and have dabbled more than a few times into Linux distro's etc but at the end of the day was still to much hard work,even for me,so thinking that even a casual pc user could simply/or not switch to Linux is a stretch at the least. People like @trevertron who is probs his moms system admin have no chance of offering any option to ms. So when they start fookin about with the so-called stable version of Win10..What chance do we have ?

I would love to be able to use Linux or any variant of it,but ive been using Pc's for about 15/20yr and have dabbled more than a few times into Linux distro's etc but at the end of the day was still to much hard work,even for me,so thinking that even a casual pc user could simply/or not switch to Linux is a stretch at the least. People like @trevertron who is probs his moms system admin have no chance of offering any option to ms. So when they start fookin about with the so-called stable version of Win10..What chance do we have ?

It would be cool if Linux was more popular and better supported or if the React OS project had actually advanced to a level of being a replacement for Windows. To be honest I think Microsoft really couldn't care less about the consumer home user market now, they pretty much got wiped out with IOS and Android.

To be honest, from a usability stand point windows 10 is perfectly fine. the issues crop up when you start to look into unwanted/needed "meta-data" collection. and the whole patching thing, well the whole IT industry saw that train wreck coming 10 years ago. it was bad enough getting the odd patch in 7 or 8 that would take a computer down, now they make it as difficult as possible to even choose which updates you want to allow.
this affects business, which has for the most part come to rely on computers, we need something that can be relied on alot more than what we are paying for at the moment.

And now with the updates you can't get rid of windows inkspace. A crap bloat wäre program

To be honest, from a usability stand point windows 10 is perfectly fine. the issues crop up when you start to look into unwanted/needed "meta-data" collection. and the whole patching thing, well the whole IT industry saw that train wreck coming 10 years ago. it was bad enough getting the odd patch in 7 or 8 that would take a computer down, now they make it as difficult as possible to even choose which updates you want to allow.
this affects business, which has for the most part come to rely on computers, we need something that can be relied on alot more than what we are paying for at the moment.

Shame I didn't see this post a couple of months ago.

I'm not too fond of the "user experience" telemetry or whatever they call it either. What you install, how much you use it, what you plug into USB ports etc.

I'm guessing that the IP address that it uploads to is dynamic? Must be able to block that somehow.

I'm hanging onto Win7 at home although I think newer hardware will drop Win7 driver support. I know a large company that is transferring all desktops to Win10 but they even used to allow the invasive Win7 updates. I brought it up with IT and they escalated it but they weren't bothered.

Back