Microsoft Outlook problem - urgent

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi M8's hope some brain will be able to help me out, as you know I do have a brain I can call my own and need to rely on the clever people here.:Wave:

My wife has a lap top with Windows Vista as its OS (I know don't laugh it is her work computer) she is also running Office 2003 and this is the problem that occurred yesterday morning. On switching on her computer she was unable to send/receive emails, when you clicked on tools you got the following message "The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook again. If problem persists reinstall"

I first of all ran the detect and repair in Outlook, to no avail although it reported success.

I then ran repair using my copy of 2003 Office, again reported success but still had the fault.

Finally after making sure that everything was backed up I uninstalled Office 2003 and cleaned the registry using CC Cleaner to ensure a clean install. Then I switched the computer off and then re-booted. I then installed my version of Office 2003 and updated the SP to SP3 on connecting to Outlook all her email folders were still on the screen (which I do not think they should have been) and the error as above still exists, she still cannot send or receive email.

As normal this has happened at the most critical time for her and I am hoping that someone will quickly come back and say "You idiot .... just do this" hoping of course that 'this' is not a format of the hard drive.

When I need him of course 'Dutcho' is out riding his mean machine back from Teesside.

Any help warmly appreciated chaps.

regards

Outlook does not just store setting in the registry but also in the profile.

As a test would it be possible to create a new user on the laptop and try and configure outlook under the new users ID ?

Outlook does not just store setting in the registry but also in the profile.

As a test would it be possible to create a new user on the laptop and try and configure outlook under the new users ID ?

Thanks for quick response oneman I have created a new user and am presently trying to configure Outlook under that user will let you know

yes, i would delete the profile settings completely too.

I'd do it in 2 places Control Panel > Mail, the select Profiles and delete.

Then, in Vista i THINK it's c:\users\(id)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\outlook ... i think... then it's like creating the profile from scratch.

Thanks for quick response oneman I have created a new user and am presently trying to configure Outlook under that user will let you know

UPDATE

I have created a new user and have got emails coming in but not going out yet but that is a simple error in set up. Now of course I will have to transfer everything across to the new user for her, but I am very grateful for your help and suggestion, Dutcho owes you a few pints I will tell him when I see him tomorrow.

cheers

yes, i would delete the profile settings completely too.

I'd do it in 2 places Control Panel > Mail, the select Profiles and delete.

Then, in Vista i THINK it's c:\users\(id)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\outlook ... i think... then it's like creating the profile from scratch.

Thanks mate I will have a look at this later rushing off to a meeting at the Mo but grateful for your valuable input it is appreciated

cheers

Back