MEDIA PLAYERS for home entertainment ( NEW)

raff

Inactive User
Reaction score
I found this while browsing and it looks like the dogs b****ks :) the direct link to the PDF File is below :)

Introduction PopCorn
I’ve grown fond of the question "PopCorn anyone?” as it has a totally different meaning today than it had a couple of days ago. It sounds like an offer for something completely different than a media player although that is exactly what PopCorn Hour is, more accurately, the PopCorn Hour A100. In the last few weeks and months, PopCorn Hour has attracted a huge amount of people given it's excellent pricing / feature balance, bringing the latest codecs and abilities to people's homes for the first time in years below expected prices. It could not start in a more positive way but the price alone, will not make it the best player out of anything unlike the cheapest maybe. Thanks for the review out there, that you can built up an idea before jumping on board.

here is the link: http://www.mpcclub.com/modules/Reviews/reviews/popcorn_hour_a100_review.pdf

buy a ibm thinkcentre for under £100 and use that for a media player ;)

lenovo_thinkcentre_m55p_1_200x150.jpg

they small and good to just chuck anywhere...

YES - I have the Dvico Tvix 4100 and can verify that is is brill - 6500 has truehd on the 1.3 hdmi and a beefier processor for MKV H.264 / VC1 stuff

Can these things play 1080p files over a network?

As Hawkish says Tvix (Dvico) will play almost everything you chuck at it inc 1080p MKV's. there is also the option of wireless networking (I wouldnt stream HD over it) and a Digital Terestial TV tuner to make it a PVR. regular firmware updates etc.

Tvix M6500a

Thanx for the response guys, i have opted to buy the TVIX M6500A with 1 TB £559.00 (inc VAT) it is a bit pricey but i will only be buying it once lol. The spec seems high end and because i have built up a massive database of films i also opted for a large hard drive, this will free up a lot of space on my trusty pc :) i will keep you guys posted when i have received this unit.

Many thanx.

Thanx for the response guys, i have opted to buy the TVIX M6500A with 1 TB £559.00 (inc VAT) it is a bit pricey but i will only be buying it once lol. The spec seems high end and because i have built up a massive database of films i also opted for a large hard drive, this will free up a lot of space on my trusty pc :) i will keep you guys posted when i have received this unit.

Many thanx.

Good choice sir! - if you want to customise the menus and GUI then I can help:Clap:

Thanks hawkish :)

Thanks hawkish,

But you might regret saying that lol as i am completely new to this field, so i might just take you up on your offer my friend. I have opted to go this way regarding a media center because to be quite honest, i have just got fed up with messing about with converting and burning :( now its just (i hope) a case of drag drop and play :)

Thanks hawkish,

But you might regret saying that lol as i am completely new to this field, so i might just take you up on your offer my friend. I have opted to go this way regarding a media center because to be quite honest, i have just got fed up with messing about with converting and burning :( now its just (i hope) a case of drag drop and play :)
lol no probs mate - ill get to work on a guide and upload the editor at some point! - it is just drag and drop so you will be well away!

:)

Again thanks for all your help mate it is appreciated. :Clap:

help :(

Ok got the unit set it up and got it to work and very nice i might add but one problem when i connect the HDMI cable it keeps saying no signal and thats on both tv sets and they both have HDMI connections? have i missed something ? the only thing you dont get with this unit is the tv tuner this i found to be very annoying concidering the price i payed any advice will be welcome guys.

Thanks.

Ok got the unit set it up and got it to work and very nice i might add but one problem when i connect the HDMI cable it keeps saying no signal and thats on both tv sets and they both have HDMI connections? have i missed something ? the only thing you dont get with this unit is the tv tuner this i found to be very annoying concidering the price i payed any advice will be welcome guys.

Thanks.

Sorry you were expecting the TV Tuner thats why I put "option" in my original post.

I dont know what tv 's you have raff?? but on my Pio you need to see the av channel you are using to HDMI to pick up the signal.

check in your TV manuals if you have to do similar and also in the Dvico manual

You may have to "switch on HDMI" on both or one or the other

Thanks shaun

if i use the A/V cable red, yellow, white, i get a perfect picture on av4 but i wanted to just use the HDMI cable both my tv sets r lg the weird thing is i have a HDMI dvd player and that works fine but when i put the menu up on my TVX everything is shown active except the hd logo even when i switch the settings to on ?

ps thanks for the quick reply mate :)

Have you checked the manual of the LG's mate, I bet its something to do with the TV settings or what av channel youre trying to use, hvae you got a spare hdmi lead you can try to rule out the cable?

Raff try unplugging your DVD player and set up your Dvico throught the av channel that the dvd uses,

also switch the tvix off, unplug, remove cables, and have a look in manual how you reset it, then try the setup again, you maybe missed something during your initial setup, good luck mate, hopefully hawkish will sort you out.

Last edited:
No signal through HDMI to TVIX ?

Thanks shaun.

Got in touch with the tech guy this morning he was very hard to understand but eventually i got a bit of info i missed. With some HDMI chans you have to repeatedly press the tv out button untill the screen appears this i will attempt tonight and keep you posted.

On the tvix connect composite AND hdmi to the tv,

now using av4 navigate to the picture options and switch over to HDMI (my settings say dvi for some weird reason, but its the same thing). When the screen goes blank - on the tvix remote press the left directional button once then press OK. now when you go to hdmi on the TV remote it will be displayed, carefully exit out of the menu by pressing left, then scrolling down to the botton "exit and save" tab.

Hope you get it running with that mate

Back