Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

mate wants a cheap'o' HDMI media player?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
mate at work doesn't want to go fancy for a HTPC and he's just afetr a small HDMI 1080p media player.

his options at the mo as far as i can see is

Wester Digital Media Player 1080p here

Seagate freeagent freeagent

or a cyclone cyclone

cheers again fella, well i don't want to over complicate things for him and he just wants to play back his films/movies onto his HDMI TV so i suggested he just gets the basic player, i was looking at the "up scalers" and decided that he may as well go and get a 1080 (of course all depends on the quality of the films that he has but told him to stick to DIVX for now)

I don't want to throw XBMC into the mix as i have a feeling I'd all ways be around his doing the odd install/upgrade etc.

He wants a media player that he can attach his external USB drive(s) too and watch the media back...

Thanks again mate

Sumvision cyclone is basic but should do the trick but I don't think supports NTFS (I could be wrong on this).

If he needs network streaming then I would look at WD Live which I think also adds NTFS support which may be important if he starts to use 10gb mkv blu-ray rips.

i think to keep it basic it's going to be one of them Sumvision cyclones then guys, i just want him to plug his USB drive in and watch a movie.... if i start "techno" talk his eyes just glaze over...lolol

I wouldn't look beyond the WD player Dibbs. Fuss-free. Non techie. Plays everything.

He doesn't need the Live one either if he's only wanting to plug a drive in.

this one is £33 and here is the review

looks quite good

htp://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-1080p-h-264-rm-rmvb-full-hd-media-player-with-hdmi-sdhc-usb-host-av-optical-50567

htp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7qFOwbbaQ

thanks all, he's went and bought the cheapest of them all the "cyclone" :Fish:

thanks all, he's went and bought the cheapest of them all the "cyclone" :Fish:

hope he gets on better than I did. i bought the sum vision MKV enclosure with the 1.5tb HD but its pumped. will not sync with laptop and it will not switch off. the guy I bought from on flea bay is being a **** too. Hes getting reported to flea bay the now but i cant get any help from sum vision either

heavy rage:Chainsaw::

Back