mate wants a cheap'o' HDMI media player?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mate at work doesn't want to go fancy for a HTPC and he's just afetr a small HDMI 1080p media player.

his options at the mo as far as i can see is

Wester Digital Media Player 1080p here

Seagate freeagent freeagent

or a cyclone cyclone

£22 inc HDMI lead and 4GB flash drive: Technology Delivered | Ebuyer.com

But it depends what he really wants Dibbers.

Apple TV 2 is supposed to be one of the best sub-£100 media players once you throw XBMC on it.

However, if he is also in the market for an upscaling DVD player then the money he shells out on both could buy a blu-ray player with USB port such as the Samsung BD-C5500: SAMSUNG BD-C5500 Blu-ray Player | Dixons |

cheers again fella, well i don't want to over complicate things for him and he just wants to play back his films/movies onto his HDMI TV so i suggested he just gets the basic player, i was looking at the "up scalers" and decided that he may as well go and get a 1080 (of course all depends on the quality of the films that he has but told him to stick to DIVX for now)

I don't want to throw XBMC into the mix as i have a feeling I'd all ways be around his doing the odd install/upgrade etc.

He wants a media player that he can attach his external USB drive(s) too and watch the media back...

Thanks again mate

Sumvision cyclone is basic but should do the trick but I don't think supports NTFS (I could be wrong on this).

If he needs network streaming then I would look at WD Live which I think also adds NTFS support which may be important if he starts to use 10gb mkv blu-ray rips.

i think to keep it basic it's going to be one of them Sumvision cyclones then guys, i just want him to plug his USB drive in and watch a movie.... if i start "techno" talk his eyes just glaze over...lolol

I wouldn't look beyond the WD player Dibbs. Fuss-free. Non techie. Plays everything.

He doesn't need the Live one either if he's only wanting to plug a drive in.

this one is £33 and here is the review

looks quite good

htp://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-1080p-h-264-rm-rmvb-full-hd-media-player-with-hdmi-sdhc-usb-host-av-optical-50567

htp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7qFOwbbaQ

thanks all, he's went and bought the cheapest of them all the "cyclone" :Fish:

thanks all, he's went and bought the cheapest of them all the "cyclone" :Fish:

hope he gets on better than I did. i bought the sum vision MKV enclosure with the 1.5tb HD but its pumped. will not sync with laptop and it will not switch off. the guy I bought from on flea bay is being a **** too. Hes getting reported to flea bay the now but i cant get any help from sum vision either

heavy rage:Chainsaw::

Back