Manchester City are set to become the world’s richest football club

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Manchester City are set to become the world’s richest football club after an Arab royal family that are even wealthier than Roman Abramovich signed a deal to buy the Barclays Premier League club.

The ultimate owners of Manchester City are understood to be members of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi, the oil-rich Gulf state. The Al-Nahyan family’s total holdings are said to be worth at least $26 billion (about £14.4 billion) and they have sporting interests that range from horses to motor racing. “Money is no object for these people,” a source close to the deal said. “They are buying the club because they like watching Premiership football.”

The acquisition of City from Thaksin Shinawatra, the billionaire former Prime Minister of Thailand, was led by Dr Sulaiman al-Fahim, one of the best-known businessmen in the Middle East. Al-Fahim has become known as “the Gulf’s Donald Trump” after the success of his real estate company, Hydra Properties. Hydra is building a number of skyscrapers in Dubai and is also involved in the Al Reem project, a man-made island near the city of Abu Dhabi.

The 31-year-old is one of the Middle East’s few “celebrity businessmen” and he is known to enjoy rubbing shoulders with A-list stars in Hollywood. Al-Fahim also has interests in football, having established an Inter Milan training academy in Dubai.

However, while the real estate magnate is probably rich enough to buy City on his own, sources close to the deal said that Al-Fahim was really a front man for the Al-Nahyan royal family. Al-Fahim arranged the deal and signed a memorandum of understanding to buy the club on Sunday night, but most of the money is being put up by a handful of sheikhs in the royal family. Among them is thought to be Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, chamberlain of the royal court in Abu Dhabi.

Sheikh Mansour, whose title is minister of presidential affairs, is the half-brother of the President of United Arab Emirates and a full brother of the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi. He is, therefore, one of the most powerful men in the Gulf and, although his personal wealth is unknown, he is likely to be a multi-billionaire.

In a twist that will excite conspiracy theorists, Sheikh Mansour is married to the daughter of Sheikh Mohammed, the ruler of Dubai. Sheikh Mohammed is interested in buying Liverpool FC through the Dubai International Capital sovereign wealth fund.

The company that has bought City is called Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment, a new firm set up solely for the purpose of buying the club. They are backed by the Royal Group, a private investment vehicle owned by the Al-Nahyan family that also owns Hydra Properties.

Abu Dhabi is the richest of seven emirates that make up UAE. Its wealth comes from oil and gas, and the rapid increase in the price of natural resources has made the country and its ruling family even wealthier.

Most of the state’s wealth is held in the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, worth $800 billion (about £444 billion), which buys shares in Western companies. The other main investment vehicle is called Mubadala, which has bought a 5 per cent stake in Ferrari and was instrumental in bringing Formula One to Abu Dhabi from next year. Abu Dhabi is positioning itself as a sporting and cultural hub in the Middle East and the acquisition of City will play a small role in that development.

If the deal is completed, City fans can expect close links between their club and the Gulf in the future, possibly through preseason tournaments and sponsorship deals. However, the purchase of the club is primarily the result of personal interest in Premier League football by the sheikhs involved. “Its an aeroplane one month, a Premiership football club another month – that’s the world these people live in,” one person familiar with the deal said.

Thaksin rollercoaster

Sept 21, 2006 Thaksin Shinawatra, a telecommunications billionaire who had served as Prime Minister of Thailand since 2001, arrives in London as a political refugee after being deposed by a military coup.

April 24, 2007 Thaksin, who tried to buy a 30 per cent stake in Liverpool three years earlier, launches a preliminary approach for Manchester City.

May 14 City sack Stuart Pearce as manager.

June 11 The takeover appears on the brink of collapse after about £1.3 billion of Thaksin’s assets are frozen by a Thai anticorruption committee.

June 21 The deal is revived. He lodges an £81.6 million offer and plans to install Sven-Göran Eriksson as manager.

July 6 Eriksson holds his first press conference after signing a three-year contract worth at least £7.5 million. He spends £40 million on players in the summer window.

July 23 Thaksin gains total control of the club after acquiring more than 75 per cent of shares.

Aug 14 Thailand’s Supreme Court issues arrest warrants for Thaksin and his wife after they fail to appear to answer charges of abuse of power over a land deal.

Sept 3 More arrest warrants issued for the pair, who stay in England.

Feb 28, 2008 After the appointment of a pro-Thaksin prime minister, he finally returns to Thailand to face trial and pleads not guilty to corruption charges. He is allowed to return to the UK.

June 2 Eriksson is sacked.

June 4 Mark Hughes is appointed.

Aug 11 Thaksin flees to Britain to request political asylum after he fails to appear in court. The Thai Supreme Court issues an arrest warrant. If found guilty, Thaksin would fail the Premier League’s “fit and proper person” test. It emerges that outstanding payments on past deals are restricting transfer activity.

Aug 23 Facing extradition, Thaksin offers to resign from the board.

Sept 1 Thaksin agrees to sell City to the Abu Dhabi United Group.

sorry I don’t go along with this Manu and real Madrid have been successful clubs for along time just having the money available don’t make u the riches club Chelsea have had Roman Abramovich money now for what 4 years and they are still only the third riches club behind Manu and real its need more the just the money
yes they might be one day but it would take 5 or 6 years and winning the p/l a fue time
this is the first time I have used spell check so I hope its ok as im dyslexic

is there any clubs left in england that are owned by an english man . this is wild .seems people are buying clubs now because they have noting else to spend thier money on . and i dont think its good for football . oh and aint man un something like 500 mill in debt

We "boro" are still owned by an englishman, and im my opinion one of the best chairmen in the leauge :)

is there any clubs left in england that are owned by an english man . this is wild .seems people are buying clubs now because they have noting else to spend thier money on . and i dont think its good for football . oh and aint man un something like 500 mill in debt

I can name one but they also are owned by some Irish and Scottish investors, but you dont want me going on about arsenal all day do you lmao ;)

Another debt written off club in the making i am sorry but now i hope we get that billionaire investor because its obvious that staying within budgets is not worth a piss anymore.

you got the mancs the most in debt club in the world with almost a billion debt!

then you have chelski who write of 140 million a year debts and cannot even fill a 40000 stadium!!!!! they cant even afford the wages but they can have whatever washed money come in and pay for it!

Ok i wont paint arsenal to white we owe 250 million because of a 60000 seater that we fill almost every game including pre seasons and fa cup and that 60000 seater is the most money making stadium in the world, but we pay there fucking stupid ticket prices making us cockneys look like fools! and 6 quid a pie is not cheap lol.

but what is the point anymore city could not even afford robinho's wages and i would say he must be on 200 grand a week because no offence why would he goto city ?

but there will now be a top 4 and either liverpool or arsenal will take the fall because wait till january when city buy every player on the planet lmao

happy hunting :)

fucking foreign investors have ruined the game!

is there any clubs left in england that are owned by an english man ..........

We have Eddie Davies. Not in the same league as these arabs or dodgy rushkies money wise, but tries to do his best for a club he supported as a kid and in his birth-town.

@mickied £6 for a pie??? ffs
This used to be a working mans game!!

Curly

another chelski story all over again

£6 for a pie Mickie ! Sh*t you can go to see Motherwell play Nantes in the UEFA cup for half that price ,but yes your right its just getting stupid now .In another 5 years we will have 6 or 7 clubs owned but multi millionaires bidding stupid money for average players to try and win something and then where do we go ? I'ts time FIFA stepped in and made some kind of rule where clubs had to make a profit every year or break even and ban loans etc

IMO this kind of thing just foooks the whole league up, now we have a top 5 now one can break into coz they have stupid money to spend, whats the point !

I think every team should only be allowed a % of non english players.

Time to introduce a salary cap but that would be for the good of the sport and wouldnt line any pockets.

IMO this kind of thing just foooks the whole league up, now we have a top 5 now one can break into coz they have stupid money to spend, whats the point !

I think every team should only be allowed a % of non english players.

it wont make any difference cos then the same rich clubs will buy the best english players

Back