Make wireless connection secure ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

Got a Linksys wireless router and have noticed i can pick it up via wireless with my Wii. It shows it as unlocked.
I am also able to pick up my neighbours and therefore he can use mine i suspect.

How do i make it secure so only i can access it ?

Thanks

You need to go into the royter config page.

Linkseys might be 192.168.1.1 cant remember but it might be.

username is left blank
password is admin

Then you choose security and pick either WPA-PSK or WPA2

set a password and thats it. Anything which uses wireles will then have to enter the password to get access...it only requires it the once so you dont have to do it everytime.

Last edited:
to check ur default user settings mate , goto start/run/cmd/ipconfig then enter, it will give it to u , once u have it mate type that into the address bar it will get u into the router , if it is passworded , u can do as Jaffa has said in the previous post , also admin then password as the password , or as the default leave them both blank and click ok , once inside ur router, click on sercurity tap if there is one, u have 2 types of encryption wep and the more secure wpa wpa 2 with the latter choose a password of ur choice click save once u have and come out of ur router config , reboot modem and router,

I have 6 options under wireless security WPA and WPA2 (both personal or enterprise) Radius and WEP.

What do i select and presumong i select one and choees a password, where do i enter it eg when trying to connect with Wii ?

Thanks

Is it really worth it ?

i use WEP on my router to secure the internet connection with 128bit encryption but other people like to do different things.

use wpapsk encryption, have the pass extremely random... ie hard to crack..., disable dhcp, enable mac restrictions, walk around ur house see if u can pick the signal up outside, if u can move ur router until u dont or a week signal ;)

Stay away from WEP it's totally broken. Use WPA2 and change your password regularly. You can also apply mac address filtering on your router.

WPA / WPA2
Long (>20 characters) Complex (lots of numbers/symbols) Password

Forget "WEP"
Forget "MAC address filtering"
Forget "Disable DHCP"
All these are useless against anything but the most trivial attack, and worse, let you think that you are secure.

WPA can be cracked in 5 minutes also. Lets be honest about this if the nieghbor has not encrypted his own connection does he really have the knowledge to encrypt you r connection.

Click Start RUn
CMD
IPCONFIG

check to see what the default gateway says. put that number into your web bvrowser

this will connect you to your router. from there you will need to set up your security.

Back