M&S tells Muslim staff they CAN refuse to serve customers buying alcohol or pork

Where do we draw the line with religious belief then?

For example, I work at an Airport and I have to take and caps or hats of when I go thru Security X-Ray Machines. No issues with that.
Any Sikh staff members going thru the exact same Machine do not have to remove their Turban/Dastar because of " Religious Reasons" .

Now that does drive me mad.

Lets all chill
Its Christmas so peace and Goodwill to one and all regardless of colour or religion
Happy Christmas Everyone :)

Where do we draw the line with religious belief then?

For example, I work at an Airport and I have to take and caps or hats of when I go thru Security X-Ray Machines. No issues with that.
Any Sikh staff members going thru the exact same Machine do not have to remove their Turban/Dastar because of " Religious Reasons" .

Now that does drive me mad.

OK two problems with that post

1. You work!!!!!!!! :D

2. Come on it can't bother you that much,after all you support Liverpool,that has to be harder ;)

Lets all chill
Its Christmas so peace and Goodwill to one and all regardless of colour or religion

And a very merry christmas to you good sir!!
Here's to 2014

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Lets all chill

Well said Sir and a very Merry Christmas to you as well.

In fact Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to one and all.

OK two problems with that post

1. You work!!!!!!!! :D

2. Come on it can't bother you that much,after all you support Liverpool,that has to be harder ;)

Yeah go figure ...............a Scouser that actually works

Me too m8 but you can refuse if your bothered,but most people are more sensible then that ;)

But you can't !!
That has already been ruled in court when a "christian" lady was sacked because she refused to work Sundays but said she was prepared to work any other hours to recompense the fact she would not work Sundays, her employer refused that option and sacked her. The court ruled in favour of the employer, in that if a job required workers to work on a Sunday, even if only occassionally then they had to accept that they had to work Sundays.
So if your religion dictates that you have restrictions, then you should not accept a job that entails those restrictions.
Do you think there would be any reaction if the Licensing Act was changed so that it prohibited muslims from applying for a license to sell alcohol because of religious restrictions, thus helping them not having to sell alcohol against their religious belief ?

But you can't !!
That has already been ruled in court when a "christian" lady was sacked because she refused to work Sundays but said she was prepared to work any other hours to recompense the fact she would not work Sundays, her employer refused that option and sacked her. The court ruled in favour of the employer, in that if a job required workers to work on a Sunday, even if only occassionally then they had to accept that they had to work Sundays.
So if your religion dictates that you have restrictions, then you should not accept a job that entails those restrictions.
Do you think there would be any reaction if the Licensing Act was changed so that it prohibited muslims from applying for a license to sell alcohol because of religious restrictions, thus helping them not having to sell alcohol against their religious belief ?

You can in M&S m8 :)

If people feel so aggrieved by this then do something about it,all we are doing here is upsetting ourselves,

If it happened to me I would just stay at the till while they found somebody else to serve me,
I have often been held up for ages by some old codger wanting just to talk to somebody,and therefore not in any hurry to pay or pack their bags,

I can understand people's frustrations but heck life is short

So ideology now allows you special privileges over your fellow man?

I'm a libertarian. Can I be exempt from paying tax?

I wonder what the reaction would be were a customer to "politely decline" to be served by a Muslim and request an English person instead?

So ideology now allows you special privileges over your fellow man?

I'm a libertarian. Can I be exempt from paying tax?

I wonder what the reaction would be were a customer to "politely decline" to be served by a Muslim and request an English person instead?

Not an accurate twist . Customers are not being refused service. They will be served if they don't have alcohol or pork

Back