Low Audio levels on HD channels

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else get this problem? I dont get the same problem with my Freesat box for example on BBC1 and BBC1 HD the audio levels completly different. Have to crank it right up if watch HD channel.

Using HDMI straight to TV. But if I switch from BBC1 to BBC1 HD on my freesat box on same tv audio levels are fine.

not sure if its related. but im on cable and have the same problem when on hd channels

Yes m8 , this has been an issue with all images and is only limited to HD channels.

Iv had this problem from day one and cant understand why it has never been fixed, appear not enough people are moaning about... Im guessing its down to sound driver so has to be fixed at source level.

What does the temp audio bug fix do in DW Live?

The audio fix stops green screening when using audio button on remote.Forget which image this started on but DD/Joypad sorted with the bug fix.

You could check the audio settings on the box using alsamixer. Run it from a telnet session to check and change levels, output, balance, etc. It was in all images until the last so here is a copy. Just drag it to /usr/sbin and chmod 755 to make it executable.

Adjust volumes to the top of the green zone for max un-distorted output.

You could check the audio settings on the box using alsamixer. Run it from a telnet session to check and change levels, output, balance, etc. It was in all images until the last so here is a copy. Just drag it to /usr/sbin and chmod 755 to make it executable.

Adjust volumes to the top of the green zone for max un-distorted output.

What would be the command to run it? Not to clued up on telnet

its ok opened telnet and entered
/usr/sbin/alsamixer
Displayed 4 outputs
100 | 100 | 50 | 50

changed the 50s to 100 rebooted but no volume increase :(

Just realised the 2 levels that were on 50 are balance so wouldnt make any difference anyway.

Heres a screenshot

Yes the audio on HD channels is very low. Whenever I change the channel from hd to nonHD then i have to adjust the volume. Pain in the arse for sure.

i got an samsung led, which already have shitty speakers mounted on the rear, so lower volume from box is really annoying :(, i have noticed this as well the day i got the box really, i tryed sly sports sd and hd and left sound the same sd was really loud hd was just low, changing audio on some channel i think helps

hnj

See this on my V+HD box, this is the explanation that I have seen,

"DD5.1 is specified to be at a lower sound level than standard PCM audio"

So I guess it depends on how the signal is encoded.

Well DD is detected and has options for downmix etc so would be nice to have something like 20% level boost as an option

silly as it may sound

I also find sound on HD lowers through the program

you can be watching a movie mid way through the wife will start turning the volume UP^

on the odd occasion it will freeze so flick up and back down as you do, and volume will then be loud
:err:
anyone noticed that ?

Yes, I've noticed that as well.

Even weirder, BBC2 is way louder than other SD channels

Thats the first channel I check, BBC1 HD then press up to BBC2 so maybe thats why I notice a massive change. Not really compared BBC2 to other SD channels but generally HD channels are lower than SD even though its being downmixed.

I've noticed this also with the sound, I ran alsamixer while on BBC1HD with volume on receiver turned up to maximum. Alsamixer first option set at 56 so pressed up arrow and sound went up.

Now changed to ITV1HD and alsa still showed 100, as soon as I pressed the volume keys on remote sound dropped and wouldn't go above 56 on alsamixer until I pressed the up arrow again and sound improved.

Hope I explained that OK. Another thing with sound is I get quite a bit of crackling noise again this happens on the HD channels I have just installed 04-04-11 and it is more promenant again with this image. Happens over HDMI direct to TV and SPDIF to my amp.

Cheers, Chris.

I've noticed this also with the sound, I ran alsamixer while on BBC1HD with volume on receiver turned up to maximum. Alsamixer first option set at 56 so pressed up arrow and sound went up.

Now changed to ITV1HD and alsa still showed 100, as soon as I pressed the volume keys on remote sound dropped and wouldn't go above 56 on alsamixer until I pressed the up arrow again and sound improved.

Hope I explained that OK. Another thing with sound is I get quite a bit of crackling noise again this happens on the HD channels I have just installed 04-04-11 and it is more promenant again with this image. Happens over HDMI direct to TV and SPDIF to my amp.

Cheers, Chris.

So are you saying you think you have fixed the problem as I didnt notice any changes when I tried Alsamixer

Ok so did some more testing, what seems to happen is as soon as you go on a channel it shows as 100 but if you press the volume up button it changes to 56... Up'ed back to 100 changed channel and same thing, every channel shows as 100 until you press the up button on remote then it changes to 56 again. If you go back to a channel you have already changed to 100 as soon as you press up again it goes to 56! WEIRD!

@Bally12345 That's exactly what happens with mine mate that's what I was trying to get accross in my previous post! Couldn't quite get it into words as I was falling asleep. :)

Chris

Back