Louid cooling

mmonster

Inactive User
Reaction score
So I've finished building my new setup which seems to work very well and dual booting windows 7 & Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop. Only thing the cooling system (Corsair H110i liquid cooling) seems very loud. Everything is put into a Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow case which came with 3 fans (2 front pull & 1 rear push) while the liquid cooling system came with 2 fans which I setup ontop of the radiator to pull air thought it and outwards. The fans start low for few seconds then they go on full speed just the 2 on the radiator. The other 3 seem to be much quieter.

Any ideas on this? Today I got this (NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Touch Screen Fan Controller [SEN2-001]) but just thought I get some feedback before I install it. Is the Corsair H110i loud like this by default?

I don't know too much on this subject but I wouldn't have thought a couple of (decent) 140mm fans should cause that much disturbance even with current seasonal ambient room temps, especially with 3 fans+ already in the system. Maybe it's an accumulative effect? Stick a controller in there and see what you can get away with.

I fell out of love with water cooling when my Reserator couldn't keep up with the load put out from ever increasing hardware specs, and my fanless psu decided to spaz out taking the mobo with it. Once you've played a FPS with nothing but the click of a hard drive audiable, it's hard to motivate spending again on something you know is going to need rads and fans, and will never be as quiet :(

I used to have a h110 and it wasnt particularly loud, it could ramp up but only when needed, have you got the fans connected to the cpu fan headers on your motherboard? cpu_fan and cpu_opt?

There are some complaints over pump noise. Especially when the manual states not to connect to a BIOS controlled fan header...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FWIW, I also found the stock fans on my H80i loud (2x SP120L). I initially swapped them out for SilverStone HA1225L Air Penetrators, but these are only 3 pin connectors so the controller ran them and the pump at full pelt.

I've now settled for 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM, which the stock bolts are only just about long enough to fit through due to the rubber grommets on my case for the rear exhaust.

The 140mm equivalent is probably the NF-P14s REDUX PWM 12: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the fans are connected to cpu_fan and cpu_opt. However I just opened everything and found that the fans where pulling air from the case and through the radiator to the outside of the case. So I've reversed them and will be testing shortly. Ok first test, can't feel any change in the noise but might be just a bit less noisy but still too loud for a normal PC use.

On the other hand I know everything is working fine, CPU temp on idle was 28c.

Last edited:
Well for now I've enabled the CPU Q-Fan which seemed to adjust the fan speeds to a lower speed . Temperature has gone up from 28c to 32c which is still within tolerance but I'm guessing this will be a temp fix until I install the fan controller I bought. Need an adapter to connect the 4 fan pins to the 3 pin connector on the controller.

In your bios you should be able to set thresholds for the fans and when to spin faster etc, I wouldn't advise manually adjusting the CPU fan with a controller because what if you have it low and quiet and your hammering the CPU gaming or something it'll need that extra speed to keep cool and you might forget to adjust it. Or does the controller have a temperature probe and will auto adjust?

The controller has temperature probes, there's 5 of them but as far I know they are meant to be fit as close to the fans. Obviously most important is the CPU & motherboard temperatures which are already got sensors built into them. Unless there's a way to connect the motherboard sensors to the controller.

The controller has manual auto fan speeds setup as well as an alarm. Sentry 2 - NZXT

In your bios you should be able to set thresholds for the fans and when to spin faster etc, I wouldn't advise manually adjusting the CPU fan with a controller because what if you have it low and quiet and your hammering the CPU gaming or something it'll need that extra speed to keep cool and you might forget to adjust it. Or does the controller have a temperature probe and will auto adjust?

Fair enough, although you could save money by configuring your motherboard to do the same job, although be careful as some motherboards will throw a wobbler if there's no fan attached the CPU fan pins

Back