Lost all transmission on vw transporter

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was pulling out of a juction when there was a loud bang and then a whirring noise. i thought i had jumped out of gear but no. When i clutch and change up through the box the whirring noise gets faster but no drive. Feels as if the clutch is ok as there seems to be an icrease in speed in what evers whirring as i gear up.
Any ideas? 55 plate vw transporter.

I was pulling out of a juction when there was a loud bang and then a whirring noise. i thought i had jumped out of gear but no. When i clutch and change up through the box the whirring noise gets faster but no drive. Feels as if the clutch is ok as there seems to be an icrease in speed in what evers whirring as i gear up.
Any ideas? 55 plate vw transporter.
gearbox m8

is it front wheel drive ?

could be the cv joint broke (driveshaft), if it is front wheel drive

is it front wheel drive ?

could be the cv joint broke (driveshaft), if it is front wheel drive

Yes front wheel drive m8.
I was thinking it could be a cv joint or drive shaft or front diff problem.
Will find out soon enough as its now in the garage.

Yes front wheel drive m8.
I was thinking it could be a cv joint or drive shaft or front diff problem.
Will find out soon enough as its now in the garage.
front wheel drive what year is it??

Same thing happened to me a few years ago.

My drive shaft had snapped, and since power always goes to the least resistance all my torque was going to the broken drive shaft and I was stranded.

so did you find out what it was in the end ?

Yes m8
And its top marks to Davidh, it was the gearbox. the garage put some kinda camera into it through the oil drain plug hole. The fleet support phoned me on Friday and told me it would be Wednesday at the earliest before i seen it back. They are fitting a new gearbox ,Thank God its a company van lol.

The funny thing was about 3 days before it happened i was going up a very steep farm track and the van couldnt do it even in 1st gear. I had to slowly reverse all the way back down.
i have a feeling this probaly contributed to the gearbox dying.

Back