Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looking to connect 2 routers together wirelessly

Steve

Inactive User
Have looked at some of the topics here to see if similar question asked but seems hasn't (if it has then answers go way over my head) so apologies if it has been asked and answered.

This is what am trying to do:

I have my main router downstairs which has wireless option and connected to pc via LANcable

I would like to setup another wireless router upstairs that connects to router downstairs so as to access internet

I have a samsung tv that has 'allshare' which seems requires a wireless connection (hence reason for wireless router but not sure as cannot seem to find a lot about how to use 'allshare') or do not mind connecting hard wired from TV to router as TV has a LAN connector

I then have a mobile device (also samsung) which I need to connect to the upstairs router wirelessly (I have setup wireless for this item on downstairs router so I know that part is ok)

Can someone please advise if the above is possible and if so in very basic and easy steps how to achieve it.

I have 2 different routers (talktalk) both accept hard wired and wireless

Need to know the router models M8...

...Allshare - share media from your PC (say) viewing on TV. The free software turns your PC into a media server in effect.

Last edited:
wow that was a quick reply .. .wasn't expecting that

Routers are:

D-Link DSL 2780 (downstairs)
D-Link DSL 2680 (upstairs)

Doesn't look like they can do it without help - the easiest way would probably be to use a wireless repeater at around £25 from Amazon and forget the second router. Other methods you lose access to an Ethernet port on the router...which is okay if you have more than one.

If there's no problem with ports you could use home-plugs but they would cost more than the repeater...

Yer something like that , but please make sure your tv had in built wifi before you buy anything , otherwise your gonna need a USB adapter compatible with your tv aswell or something that repeats wifi and can route through LAN at the same time

Just pop an email to the seller to check it does what you need (and as bn3 says) before you buy...fairly straightforward, configure as an access point using the network cable then plug into a mains socket somewhere closer to where you want a better wifi signal.

Yer something like that , but please make sure your tv had in built wifi before you buy anything , otherwise your gonna need a USB adapter compatible with your tv aswell or something that repeats wifi and can route through LAN at the same time

As I mentioned ... tv has a LAN connector (and looking at the image of item I linked to it looks like LAN cable connects to it)

configure as an access point using the network cable then plug into a mains socket somewhere closer to where you want a better wifi signal.

Now thats where I am going to get confused ... will figure it out though .. I hope

Thank you both for the advice

Back