Looking for how to guilds

coolken

Inactive User
Reaction score
Thanks Joe.

Now, pardon me but fkinell what a minefield. I must of spent quite a while working out what i needed to do and im still just scratching the surface.

Is there a newbie guide around here something like.

A) You want the latest image for your Dreambox etc. Go here.

B) Ensure you have the latest loader, go here first. Use 84d and this is why you need 201 84D

C) Download this image or choices, ignoring the spammers reckoning you need to upgrade your sim!

D) Now you have your new image this is how you setup the EPG and Cccam etc.

Is there a guide like this? Im from the IT world and work in a horrifically over documented environment and like to just get to the chase. If there isn't such a guide on here im happy to start adding such a thing?

Cheers to you and everyone else on here giving some great info.

Re: new person

Just search and read the threads all info you require is there waiting..Any questions then post in relevent Section.

Thats the point you have to search the threads what about an idiots guide sticky could save alot of time for the clueless like me.

MAybe you are taking this personally.. i was merely suggesting some ideas. If your link you responded with is pointing to newbie guides just say so, nobody likes a smart ass, hence me coming on here offering help and constructive suggestions, sounds like you've been on here too long to remember we are all smart in different ways.

I did the ground work and found what i needed, and more than happy to give back that why forums exist don't lose sight of that. Thanks for your response all the same.

Last edited:

Did you find which is the best current image for a Dreambox? If so, what do you recommend? What pitfalls did you encounter?

MAybe you are taking this personally.. i was merely suggesting some ideas. If your link you responded with is pointing to newbie guides just say so, nobody likes a smart ass, hence me coming on here offering help and constructive suggestions, sounds like you've been on here too long to remember we are all smart in different ways.

I did the ground work and found what i needed, and more than happy to give back that why forums exist don't lose sight of that. Thanks for your response all the same.

Coolken..
you are absolutely correct I am taking this personally...
I'm very serious about getting people who ask nicely the help and infomation they need..I take it very personally and need to ensure that I can sign off knowing the person has indeed recieved the help and infomation or advise they needed and that they are happy..I also personally always advise the members to go forth and search the forum and threads for the infomation they are requiring as I personally believe this increases the members knowledge of the subject and the learning of the navigation of the forum..
You see this is why I do this..To help others and not to be a smart arse..

Did you find which is the best current image for a Dreambox? If so, what do you recommend? What pitfalls did you encounter?

Hi ginginho, ive made some notes so will add some more later, if there is a relevant sticky i will add there.
Okay it depends, but i think the most important things to remember are.

Until you have knowledge of this lot you're really pissing in the wind. Or trying to stand on the platform and piss in the train, as opposed to standing on the train..i digress.

This will help you avoid many pitfalls such as CA errors and other strange bootup anomalies as well as causing your box to not boot at all semi brick state or whatever you want to refer. I shall add more later, but for now, that's the basics ive learnt.
In answer to your question, it depends on how competent you are and how much you know about your reciever, i think the most important things to remember are.

Rule 1

Collate as much detail about your box

Model number? - important for obvious reasons, for example the correct image will contain the correct drivers for your hardware and peripherals

Clone y/n? - Important because loading an image on a cloned box which is intended for an original box(non clone?!) may well cause issues.

Sim version? important because you must use the correct sim version for your image or it will not load - (stand to be corrected here)

Examples are SuperSim3 / Ferrari / Sim 2.xx / Sim 1.0 / Japhar /A8P

Boot loader version? –

* Telnet to your box
* Type ‘ ipkg list ‘
* Look for the line – dreambox-secondstage – 7#-r0 -

Power up with hold power button until stop read version from display on front.

You find most images refer to the specific bootloader you require, for example:

As you can see here this is an OpenPli v4.0 image for the following:

OpenPLi.4.0.NewGstreamer1.7.1.DM800HD.CLONE.SSL84D.SIM2.OE2.0.06.01.2016.nfi

OpenPli – Open source developer for set top box software and a very good one at that.

GStreamer is a development framework for creating applications like media players, video editors, streaming media broadcasters and so on. That said, very good media players can easily be built on top of GStreamer especially when using the high-level object called playbin.

DM800HD.Clone - self explanatory yes this image works on a clone of the DM800HD
SSL84D Is the Bootloader

SIM2 – Type of SIM you have within your box (see gathering info)

OE2.0.06.01.2016 – Release date/version.

.nfi – Not ‘no fking idea’ It’s the packaged image.

Sim 201 84B v 84D What's the difference NFI!

This will help you avoid many pitfalls such as CA errors and other strange bootup anomalies as well as causing your box to not boot at all. I shall add more later, but for now.

Which image? Ahhh!!! Most of the responses i see are 'it's down to your own preference' i have no idea, i read openpli is a good place to start, i have jumped from an old 2013 Tsimage to a very recent Openpli image and so far wow the difference especially in configuration are night and day, but that could also be time to evolve.

So the answer i would say personally is go for openpli first and see what you think. Secondly, look in the stickies etc here, as I have realised the more I read I know jack shit but I know for sure there are some very talented people lurking here that are willing to help.

Another and I think most important discovery for me is the Sky look alike skins for Openpli, that is something im keen to try as Mrs Ken is keen with familiarity. Being a technophobe n all that.

See here:

SKY.NEW HD Skin (v3.) - Skins - Forums

I have also discovered since breathing life back into my old Dreambox the Vu+ Duo2 which supports 2xtwin DVB-S receivers which in my house is exactly what I am looking for. 4 x recording or streaming so many possibilities. Therefore I may keep tinkering to a minimum.

Thats the point you have to search the threads what about an idiots guide sticky could save alot of time for the clueless like me.
That's exactly the problem this forum has been plagued with. There is an abundance of people who come here for a quick fix, never to be heard from till the next time they encounter a problem. They sort out problems for friends' and family who consider them to be a genius, whereas in reality they know Jack as they have never took the time to learn.
Things' shouldn't be made so easy, we did that in the cable days' and look what happened.

Thanks Joe.

Now, pardon me but fkinell what a minefield. I must of spent quite a while working out what i needed to do and im still just scratching the surface.

Is there a newbie guide around here something like.

A) You want the latest image for your Dreambox etc. Go here.

B) Ensure you have the latest loader, go here first. Use 84d and this is why you need 201 84D

C) Download this image or choices, ignoring the spammers reckoning you need to upgrade your sim!

D) Now you have your new image this is how you setup the EPG and Cccam etc.

Is there a guide like this? Im from the IT world and work in a horrifically over documented environment and like to just get to the chase. If there isn't such a guide on here im happy to start adding such a thing?

Cheers to you and everyone else on here giving some great info.

Plenty of guides you never looked

Basic setup and flashing

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/dreambox-dm800hd-support-452/208583-dreambox-dm800hd-my-guide.html

Crossepg setup

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/dreambox-receiver-discussion-294/275753-how-enable-cross-epg.html

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/dre...39/390241-recovering-your-dreambox-800-a.html

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/dre...9/291522-latest-files-crossepg-reverting.html

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/dreambox-dm800se-support-639/287036-how-flash-clone-dreambox.html

All of those were stickies in various dreambox chat sections.

Thanks Ken, I've just installed OpenPLI and I must say it does look good.

I'm really interested in the SKY skins as well... but the link doesn't seem to be working (well it worked to start with but now it says the page can't be found).

Back