Looking for a different car

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Where coming back to live in the uk in a couple of weeks and I'm going to be looking for a car to buy. Out here in NZ its jap cars such as mazda, toyota, honda and the big holden and fords. I want a car that would be interesting to drive, but on the other hand my heart is saying go small and economical. In nz I drive both a toyota ist and honda oddy. Now I'm kind of learning that you lose loads of money of cars so now want to restrict how much I spend. Prob doing to spend between 3k and 6k. Any thoughts.

Where coming back to live in the uk in a couple of weeks and I'm going to be looking for a car to buy. Out here in NZ its jap cars such as mazda, toyota, honda and the big holden and fords. I want a car that would be interesting to drive, but on the other hand my heart is saying go small and economical. In nz I drive both a toyota ist and honda oddy. Now I'm kind of learning that you lose loads of money of cars so now want to restrict how much I spend. Prob doing to spend between 3k and 6k. Any thoughts.

Not sure how long you've been away M8 but I would advise either buying a cheap 'banger' (long MOT) until you get to know the market or maybe check out the ex-Police market - Used Car Sales Stockport, Stockport Car Dealership, Quality Used Hatchbacks, Saloons, Estates, 4x4s in Stockport, Cheshire - Ex Police Cars Direct. Horrendous mileage but well-maintained ;)

BTW - that's not a recommendation of that particular site (just an example) - do yer own checking, there's plenty to choose from :)

Actually only been away for a year and had a career change whilst way and worked as a parts advisor for ford/mazda/misti/suzuki. So I have an idea of cars and have driven loads over the last year, but before I left I had a 2007 golf and I lost 3K over 2 years. So now I'm looking at jap cars like the honda jazz or maybe even a 1.5 suzuki swift sport. But are they fun to drive or do I go for something like a 2004/2005 toyota celica. One of the english mechanics I work with out here told be there could be issues with the clutch and it could be an engine out job to change it.

just doing my 10 posts.. dont mind me

Actually, I bloody do! Guy posts a reasonable request and you just want a bloody download ffs???
@kegnkiwi - doesn't everything these days mean an engine-out job? lol Lot's of peeps on here more up to speed than me on the cars front - hang in there, sure you'll get some good advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want reliability stick with the Jap cars. Toyota Celica? I wouldn't bother mate fuel is dearer over here as shown in this chart, Road tax will be sky high and your insurance on that will need a second mortgage. Many people here are downloading to smaller cars now like Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, or small jap cars. Keep well away from Peugeot, and Citroens they are the pits and will cost a fortune in spares. Do your homework first ie road tax price, car insurance quotes and fuel economy and you cannot go wrong. :)

World petrol prices, gas prices, diesel prices 2013| MyTravelCost.com

Sorry @ Miggy, but I must disagree a bit on that, my wife has a Citroen C3 1.4 HDi Exclusive and it is a cracking little motor. It has done 113K now and drives like a new car still, it hasn't used a drop of oil in the last year and is great on mpg (it has been averaging 55-60 mpg). It has rain sensor wipers, light sensor lead you home headlights, air con, electric front windows, electric folding and adjustable heated door mirrors and a host of other extras. It is only £30 per year Road Tax !!! and is cheap to insure,what more can you ask ?
I have had a problem with one of the headlights getting water in it but this was because the cover had not been put back on properly (must have been after a headlight bulb was changed, which admittedly is difficult and fiddlely to do) and I had to replace one of the door mirrors after someone tried ripping it off and I have managed to make the mirror adjustment work on both mirrors at the same time.
So, all in all I would happily recommend a deisel C3 to anyone.

We just got rid of a Audi and for reliability in 5 yrs of owning it it cost us £45 in parts for a small bit of pipe from the rad,apart from that never had a second problem BUT because it was the 190bhp s-line A4 Avant it did around 15-18mpg around town and only mid 20's on motorway, it was a pleasure to drive and stuck to the road like sh!t to a blanket.
Diesel's do hell of alot more to the gallon though

I just sold our Toyota list to the sister thats a great car 1.3 vvti chain drive . might see what the UK equivalent is. Never had a Toyota before Nz but I do like them.

just been looking at a toyota auris 1.6vvti 2008 33000m £4400 with autobox. This should be chain driven so no cambelt to change but I not sure how it will cope in snow. 40+ miles per gallon.

Actually only been away for a year and had a career change whilst way and worked as a parts advisor for ford/mazda/misti/suzuki. So I have an idea of cars and have driven loads over the last year, but before I left I had a 2007 golf and I lost 3K over 2 years. So now I'm looking at jap cars like the honda jazz or maybe even a 1.5 suzuki swift sport. But are they fun to drive or do I go for something like a 2004/2005 toyota celica. One of the english mechanics I work with out here told be there could be issues with the clutch and it could be an engine out job to change it.
hello
kegnkiwi

IMO if your looking something fun to drive that dont cost to much id go for a 320 BMW petrol or a 330BMW if you have the doe? you will get alot of car for the money and both are cane driven engines witch means you dont have to put a timing belt on as if you buy a car that has a timing belt you have to put one on when you buy as they guy you buy it off could till you anything.
iv been driving BM'S most of my life and have never been bit, just try and get one with under 15,000 miles as will need less or no work pref one with say 80,000 would be best but iv ran one for 300,000 cuse i loved it so much and did't give any big problems till the engine start to burn oil but it did have 300,000 miles on it.
hope this helps :)

But are the bmw's awful in the snow I'm live in yorkshire and the last few years the snow been bad I will also be back living up in the hills a little.

Yes M8, Beamers are shoite in the snow, especially the autos lol Whereabouts in Yorkshire?

South Wakefield :)

Nothing rear-wheel drive 'sporty-style' then! Big fat tyres can be a problem as can clearance but nowts perfect - not even a 4x4, surprisingly. Looks like a normally booted, front wheel drive Jap then :)

Not sure how long you've been away M8 but I would advise either buying a cheap 'banger' (long MOT) until you get to know the market or maybe check out the ex-Police market - Used Car Sales Stockport, Stockport Car Dealership, Quality Used Hatchbacks, Saloons, Estates, 4x4s in Stockport, Cheshire - Ex Police Cars Direct. Horrendous mileage but well-maintained ;)

BTW - that's not a recommendation of that particular site (just an example) - do yer own checking, there's plenty to choose from :)

By chance I was at a company this week that does police conversions and he said he wouldn't spend his own money on the second hand ones even though they are well maintained they do tend to get quite a bit of stick.

By chance I was at a company this week that does police conversions and he said he wouldn't spend his own money on the second hand ones even though they are well maintained they do tend to get quite a bit of stick.

my mate bought one as a taxi, was sound engine wise but the police speck them & the central locking was gone, sunroof was gone, rear elec windows didnt work, holes everywhere for radios etc & he had a load of pin holes in the dash where ( apparently) if they are on the lookout for someone they pin a pic to the dash, he wouldn't buy another

But are the bmw's awful in the snow I'm live in yorkshire and the last few years the snow been bad I will also be back living up in the hills a little.

hello
kegnkiwi

wot kind of doe are you working with?
i drive a landrover freelander and they are like driving a car, got it as my lean is very long and when theres snow i could't get up it with out 4x4, you can pick up a good T4 freelander with say 100,000 miles for about £1000 to £1500 they are made buy BMW and have the same engine as the 320bmw but has more power, when i bought my frist one about 3 years ago a m8 came with me to buy it and on the way home i asked him for a little race to see wot was the fasted, he was in a vw troledo 130bhp and i tock 2 car leths on him, he was't happy as he was in his lowered torledo with stickers etc on it looking the bit and my freelander wipped him :proud:
same guy bought a facelift freelander about 6 months ago and say's he wished he had bought one years ago, true bill :)

Back