linksys WRT54GS

SkinbacK

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a linksys WRT54GS router & for some reason the security is set on disable, now I'm sure putting it on wep. Also my computer says there is a ip address conflict with another system on the network when the laptop logs on. Anyone know whats going on.

Best to use WPA psk for security. Sometimes you can get a conflict if 2 pcs have the same name, for instance...if you call one laptop and another laptop, then it will conflict, or if you call one desktop and another desktop if you get my meaning.

Best to use WPA psk for security. Sometimes you can get a conflict if 2 pcs have the same name, for instance...if you call one laptop and another laptop, then it will conflict, or if you call one desktop and another desktop if you get my meaning.

I'm trying wpa personal at the moment, whats wpa2 personal. thanX by the way.

wpa2 is just a newer more secure feature but your adapters may not be capable of it and may need new drivers. WPA personal will be fine for your needs.

I have a linksys WRT54GS router & for some reason the security is set on disable, now I'm sure putting it on wep. Also my computer says there is a ip address conflict with another system on the network when the laptop logs on. Anyone know whats going on.

Skinback, you need to sort out the ip address conflict before worrying about the WLAN security. Even if someone else was connected to you WLAN your router would assign you the next IP address up.

The only way you're getting an IP address conflict is if you have 2 computers being assigned the same static ip address, if the IP is dynamically assigned then, as I said before, you're assigned the next IP in the range.

If you don't know how to check your IP or settings on the router just ask and I'll tell you what to check.

Once the IP conflict is fixed then we'll configure the security.

when my son logs on with his laptop I still get ip conflict coming up & there is a problem trying to open a new tab on the web browser. he is having problems trying to log on now.

Definetly sounds like a name conflict, what is the name of both computers, if you go to control panel and system it will tell you the name of the pc or if you cant find it there then go to device manager and it will say it right at the top. Both pcs or laptop cannot have the same name.

when you say log on, do you mean to his laptop or to the network.

Skinback, assuming you are both running Windows XP;

Start
Control Panel
Network Connections.
Right-Click your network connection, Wireless or Local Area.
Properties
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Properties

Now what's checked, Obtain IP or Use the following IP

Skin...are they both XP or is one Vista.

are both computers set to automatically assign an ip in the their network properties.

you could try finding out what ips are being used, go to start, run and type cmd and enter.

type ipconfig /all

this will show you all the info.

you can then type

ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew

this will release the ip and renew it with a valid one. Do that on both PCs

@mujja.....allison stokkie, google will get you more info on her.

Last edited:
just tried it & comes up with :no operation can be performed on local aera connection 3 : unable to contact your dhcp server. request has timed out; on both computers.

I that when you tried ipconfig / renew ?

Have you tried what I suggested?

Just a quick one. Have you made sure both the ethernet cards are set to obtain an ip address automatically. If not they could both have the same static ip causing the conflict.

Sorry. I should have read the post properly.I didn't realise you meant wirelessly. Oh well it is the morning after the night before :)

Skinback, assuming you are both running Windows XP;

Start
Control Panel
Network Connections.
Right-Click your network connection, Wireless or Local Area.
Properties
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Properties

Now what's checked, Obtain IP or Use the following IP

using the following ip address checked

Change to automatically obtain ip address on both PCs. This will allow dhcp to assign different ips to each pc.

Back