Lighting in a Loft?

ManofScience

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no 'Loft Lighting Forum' so i'll stick this here!

I'm putting a simple strip light into the loft. I've found the lighting Ring main (i think, it's dark, dusty and difficult to trace wires up there - but i think i've got the ring main and not a switched live for another light!!) , i've found a few other guides on the web but i wanted to check here first.

I was going to put a 3 socket juntion box into the lighting ring main to run off a single spur to a small switch then straight to the strip light. I've got my 1.5mm TE from the light and my 1.5mm TE from the mains - how to i wire up the switch? its a simple single throw switch : MK Architrave Switch Single White 10A, K4841RPWHI

EDIT: Connect the two neutrals together in a piece of 5 amp terminal block. Connect the 'feed in' live to the com terminal of the switch. Connect the remaining live to L1 i might have just figured it out. i think it was over thinking it. this sound ok?

Last edited:
Check the upstairs lights wiring. If you have more than one T/E to each light fitting it's probably loop-in/loop-out i.e. a radial circuit, live and neutral in, live and neutral out plus a switch. So you should be able to pick up a live and neutral at any light. If it's a single T/E it's on joint boxes - pick up the live and neutral at the joint. If it's single and earth, pick up the neutral at the light and look for live and earth going down to switches.

If you can't decide - call in Mr Sparky :)

Back