Life without the internet?

Can you live without the internet

• Total voters
I don't think i could live without the net after becoming s dependent on it over the last few years. Doesn't bare thinking about.:Angryfire

When I first move to Netherlands I didn't have internet for 2 weeks .. I was more upset about that in comparison to not having a bed :( lol

Internet access is regarded as a utility these days, i.o.w. a necessity. I for one have a 3g mifi on stand by if my internet should go down as well as my phone's access. Yeah, I know overkill, but I do not want to be cut off under any circumstances. :)

I've just told TV licensing I will not be renewing my license this year and I will be phoning Virmin Media to cancel my TV subscription, I'm no longer paying for $h!t£.

i suppose the internet could be a little bit useful ,
but i dont think it will really catch on !!

I have had access to broadband internet(relative term, yes, but I digress...) for well over a decade prior to meeting my current girlfriend years ago. A few years after we met, we moved in together, building a house on some land(10 acres, surrounded by hundreds of acres of her family's land). Even though we officially live in the "Metro Atlanta Area", we suffer with a 50+ year old POTS system, no terrestrially-cabled television service, and certainly no broadband internet access.

The best we have access to, which arrived just last year, is Verizon Wireless "Mobile Broadband"(LTE). The service is horrid, and we only get 10GB for $80, plus $10USD per 1GB over the monthly allotment. To make matters worse, network connectivity has a lot of loss, so we have to restart download, or reload websites, so far more data is used to complete tasks that can be completed over better connects for far less data.AT&T is the only commercial offering of internet access, but we don't have enough centeral offices to cover the distance of the entire county.

So, sadly, I tend to live a lot of my life without internet access, and it is rather painful. Internet access is how I entertain myself, do business, and research. Forget libraries or other, more traditional sources, as there are none. So, it is either the internet, blankly watching television, or staring at a bunch of trees and livestock.

Montezumaa, what about satellite broadband, here in the UK it is becoming cheaper and cheaper. Have you ever investigated that?

I have had access to broadband internet(relative term, yes, but I digress...) for well over a decade prior to meeting my current girlfriend years ago. A few years after we met, we moved in together, building a house on some land(10 acres, surrounded by hundreds of acres of her family's land). Even though we officially live in the "Metro Atlanta Area", we suffer with a 50+ year old POTS system, no terrestrially-cabled television service, and certainly no broadband internet access.

The best we have access to, which arrived just last year, is Verizon Wireless "Mobile Broadband"(LTE). The service is horrid, and we only get 10GB for $80, plus $10USD per 1GB over the monthly allotment. To make matters worse, network connectivity has a lot of loss, so we have to restart download, or reload websites, so far more data is used to complete tasks that can be completed over better connects for far less data.AT&T is the only commercial offering of internet access, but we don't have enough centeral offices to cover the distance of the entire county.

So, sadly, I tend to live a lot of my life without internet access, and it is rather painful. Internet access is how I entertain myself, do business, and research. Forget libraries or other, more traditional sources, as there are none. So, it is either the internet, blankly watching television, or staring at a bunch of trees and livestock.

Jeeez that sucks. I couldn't live like that mate. When I move next, access and provider will be one of the key criteria when choosing a house. Sometimes the kids ask what we used to do in the old days and it's hard to believe we ever did!!! Sad I know, but true.

I could live without internet, but I don't want to... just like someone had already told.

i cant live without the internet! i use it for catch up tv, gaming etc

if you read all the talktalk reviews it looks like most of there customers have to live without it
unless its just the cold turkey of not having internet making them rant and snarl

I had to use a three mobile mifi for a few months and it sucked.
I even have to take it on holiday with me and search for the best signal where ever we are staying. How people can choose not to have internet access is beyond me.

Hi all,

It looks like I'm going to be 'bucking the trend' here...

I could quite happily live without the Internet... I really enjoyed life before the Internet... and I regularly do live without the internet for weeks at a time and it doesn't bother me at all... I would also like to add (although it wasn't included in the original question) that I have never owned a mobile phone either... now that is a real blessing... I hate those things... and if I didn't have my satellite equipment... then I wouldn't even bother using the internet at all...!!

In fact... if I could go back in time right now and live out the rest of my days from say the mid 1950's onwards... then that would be my wish... I would still have enough lifespan left before I 'popped my clogs' as to avoid most modern technology before it actually came into existence... what a dream... sadly that's not going to happen... no matter how much I wish for it...

So I suppose I'll just have to carry on deluding myself that I can't live without the internet...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Reactions: gez
Hi Folks,
At present Internet is driving me mad, or more correctly my new computor is.
After 10 years of windows XP, which I found I could understand I have now
got Windows 8 which is a real struggle. Hopefully I will get to grips with this
and then make better progress with searching the Internet, which I enjoy
in my very limited way. KEL.

Iv gone without internet for a week and I didnt miss it until I got it back lol, I think everyone else in house was moaning more.

I would eventually learn to live without it and shed some of these pounds i put on in front of my puter

Back