LG Electronics BLU-RAY/HD DVD/ROM/WRITER COMBO SATA BLACK OEM

I wonder if its a quirk of the Intel GMAX4500HD onboard graphics chipset or a glitch in the Intel G45 graphics chipset? Possibly even down to having all three outputs on the board?

If the presence of the HDCP complience is enough for the software to decode the VC1 stream, everything else could be handled by the graphics adapter. If this is wholly the doing of Gigabyte, e.g. by spoofing the display's key, they may find their HDCP licence revoked under point three of the spec on the wikipedia article linked.

I wouldn't expect this to work on a seperate graphics card, but then this could all be a ploy of the MPAA ;)

actually, no you cant. Here is a good diagram discussing VGA and where it sits in relation to other standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg

I've always seen that as a diagram to show relationships of common resolution. Yes, the resolution refered to as VGA is a set at 640x480, but VGA is a interchangeable term used for more than just to describe resolutions.

As far as I am aware Monkey is right, a VGA cable will carry any definition you put down it. After all, its just an RGB signal with HV sync. Some people find VGA washed out others find it 'less sharp' when compared to digital signals like DVI.

Last edited:
You are quite correct on the HDCP points - it will be very interesting to find out what will happen with this motherboard, I am looking for another review of it now to better explain it.

However, Munkey is incorrect. VGA wont do, however WQXGA will. A small point, but a point nonetheless.

You are quite correct on the HDCP points - it will be very interesting to find out what will happen with this motherboard, I am looking for another review of it now to better explain it.

However, Munkey is incorrect. VGA wont do, however WQXGA will. A small point, but a point nonetheless.

I think Munkey meant a 15pin D-Sub cable more commonly refered to as a VGA cable - a misnomer as it is - rather than a 640x480 VGA resolution.

Last edited:

Just to clarify this gents as there is some confusion

A VGA out on your graphics card or motherboard is capable of practically any resolution including Full HD 1080p. You do not need HDMI or DVI, VGA will do the job.

So if you have an old motherboard or graphics card with just VGA out you can run HD content from that into your display device.

LOL you can even run HD over component although it will be an analogue signal just like VGA instead of digital.

Forget about all the resolutions WQXGA etc blah blah blah karym6 has discussed above, its just there just to confuse you and add to his post count.

Munkey - this is a thread I started. I asked a question and invited comments, not bickering from you. Can you please keep this thread positive and to the point.

Back